To Pee or Not to Pee, what an odd question...

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

To Pee or Not to Pee, what an odd question...

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:48 am

My latest project horse is a 9 YO gelding with one bizarre issue. He never drops, ever. Not to pee, not when he is relaxed, never.
After an ill advised attempt to reach into his sheath to see if he had a bean, I can attest to the fact that he does in fact have a penis.
(At this point I seriously questioned it.)

So what would cause a gelding to do this? I am of course going to ask the vet about this, but this seems really bizarre to me.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: To Pee or Not to Pee, what an odd question...

Postby Canyon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Here is an article from The Horse with some info that may be helpful. Having had an Appaloosa gelding with squamous cell carcinoma on his penis, I'm glad you're going to contact your vet.

I hope it is something easy, like a bean!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Me too! She is coming in half an hour, so I guess I will have her sedate him and have a look at it. He is very much disinclined for me to clean it, so this will in all likelihood be the only way to find out.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:42 pm

I was given a 16 yr old Quarterhorse gelding who did not drop even to pee. The previous owner said he never had and she'd owned him since he was two. I had his sheath checked and cleaned and all was fine except for a bean and yuck. I've had him over two years now and he actually extends partially to pee now and occasionally drops when I groom him, but never as often or as far as my other geldings.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:32 am

I have heard that as long as the pee looks good and comes out in a nice stream then it's just a preference thing. But wouldn't hurt to have it checked out.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:55 am

My gelding never dropped, except partially only when he peed, and never any other time, for the 19 years I had him. It was just his preference and he lived a long and healthy life.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:43 am

An update on the pee issue. Vet came and horse was absolutely resistant to having her anywhere near the family jewels. She did confirm that he does have a fully functioning penis and after he was resoundingly sedated she found a bean about the size of a walnut. She removed it, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference in how he pees. I guess I will just have to keep up on him to make sure we don't get a repeat performance.

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Hayburner » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm sure even if he's still not dropping - he feels so much better without that bean in there!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:41 am

A pee update - doing fine, still won't drop to pee. I guess he is one of the "shy pee-ers".

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”