What is in your first aid kit?

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

What is in your first aid kit?

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Just what the title suggests, what is stocked in your first aid kit?

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: What is in your first aid kit?

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Lots and lots of vet wrap! Off the top of my head:

Swat
Schreiner's Solution
Underwood's
Manuka honey
Dosing syringes
The self-adhering gauze, non-stick wound pads, Elasticon, more vet wrap, etc.
Bandage scissors
Pillow wraps
Thermometer
Bute, SMZs, Previcox (the barn also keeps banamine around)
Keep calm and canter on.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed May 03, 2017 4:09 am

Vetwrap
Stethoscope
Length of hose (for keeping the airway open after a snake bite)
Surgical tape
Betadine
Alcohol
SMZ
Bute
Banamine
Dormosedan
a twitch
a stud chain
diapers
various bandage supplies - pads, quilts, standing bandages, craft paper for poultices
poultice clay
duct tape

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed May 03, 2017 7:51 am

Mostly just vet wrap and dressings and bandages/fillers, scissors, tape/elastoplast, thermometer, white cream stuff (great for small cuts), betadine, tuff rock poultice.
I have syringes and some cannulas etc but when something happens I can grab stuff from work.

Interesting the hose pipe redsoxiuvr! Is that for an anaphylaxis to any snake, or a particular snake will cause that swelling? Would be scary to have to do in that situation.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed May 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Definitely betadine, Epsom salts, a soaking boot or rubber bucket with no handle.
Vet wrap and newborn diapers
Calmoseptine or Destin.
Alcohol swabs or rubbing alcohol.

I keep antifungal and topical and dmso with my grooming stuff so do not duplicate it in my first aid.

Since cleaning is the first step to almost any boo boo, I find betadine and swabs the most essential.

We do not have a lot of snakes, but if I did I would keep Nasogastro tubing, definitely not a length of hose. I do not know if having one would be of any value to me, since passing a tube incorrectly can kill more quickly than a snake bite. :(

I do have banamine and Bute on hand. Since antibiotics are not of value in acute emergency, I do not keep them in my first aid kit.

Thermometers, stethoscope.
Latex gloves.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 03, 2017 3:34 pm

Banamine, bute, syringes of all sorts, SMZs, mets, various and sundry ointments and sprays for wounds, saline spray, beta dine scrub and solution, alcohol, epsom salt poultice, ice in freezer, wraps of all sorts, duct tape and vet wrap, scissors, thermometer

Need to have hose and stethoscope (the hose is short just to keep the airway from swelling shut after being bitten by poisonous snake)

I have rattelsnakes (have had a horse bitten but was between front legs and not on the nose) and copper heads here on our farm.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 04, 2017 12:16 am

Okay i looked it up on google, they actually do recommend nasogastro tubing but say a hose with the edges sandpapered smooth is okay, do you have your hose sandpapered? i see its just enough to keep the nostril open, to me, " the airway" implies the trachea. I understand how you use it after some research

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri May 05, 2017 12:46 am

Flight wrote:Mostly just vet wrap and dressings and bandages/fillers, scissors, tape/elastoplast, thermometer, white cream stuff (great for small cuts), betadine, tuff rock poultice.
I have syringes and some cannulas etc but when something happens I can grab stuff from work.

Interesting the hose pipe redsoxiuvr! Is that for an anaphylaxis to any snake, or a particular snake will cause that swelling? Would be scary to have to do in that situation.

We have many venomous snakes here, and horses are primarily bitten on their extremities. The nose is a prime location for obvious reasons,
so the logic is that if your horse is bitten on the nose, insert the garden hose to keep a clear airway. Horses aren't treated with antivenom, so
it's up to the owner to act as quickly as possible to try to keep the horse able to breathe. (I learned this the hard way, after an FEI horse was bitten here. He got bitten on the nose and ear when he encountered a rattlesnake under his feeder. :( )

Chisamba, I was told to put surgical tape on the end that is inserted. I hadn't heard about sanding it.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri May 05, 2017 5:29 am

Chisamba wrote:Okay i looked it up on google, they actually do recommend nasogastro tubing but say a hose with the edges sandpapered smooth is okay, do you have your hose sandpapered? i see its just enough to keep the nostril open, to me, " the airway" implies the trachea. I understand how you use it after some research

Yes, I thought it was an endotracheal intubation with a garden hose!

We have some wickedly venomous snakes here too, but over here I haven't heard of any causing swelling to any of the airway structures. Very interesting! Thanks for the info :)

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”