Finally a Diagnosis:Sticking Stifles

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Finally a Diagnosis:Sticking Stifles

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Kerry, my 19 year old Quarterhorse mare, has been rehabbing from a bad laminitis episode since last July. We were making excellent progress and ready to start riding her again about 3 months ago when suddenly she went from trotting when turned out to hardly able to move. So we backed off and went back into laminitis protocol. But her feet seemed fine. Lots of sole, good X-rays etc. She was moving short on the right front and maybe the left rear. She flexed and then blocked sore in her right shoulder/withers area and right heel. Was the rear compensatory? She has a minor club on the right front and used to move short on that foot when unfit and now she was barefoot. We put shoes and pads on front like the ones she had worn for 15 years and watched. Feet seemed fine. Rear seemed funky. She was stiff and still short on the right front and left rear. Her movement was inconsistent. Neurologic? Kerry is a lazy red haired mare with an opinion about everything and no work ethic. She has halter horse conformation, very balanced and very muscular even after a year of no work and is also post legged. She prefers to stand around looking beautiful and be fussed over so it is difficult to tell if she is hurting or not moving by choice. She is double bred Impressive, but is HYPP negative negative and has never had a tying up episode. We discussed PSSM. Today we started over with a full physical exam. And my vet caught her sticking stifle! Multiple times on the left and occasionally on the right. She had locked a stifle occasionally as a baby, but has been in work mostly since then. Even I could feel this! So now at least we have a diagnosis and a plan. She is to be hand walked 4 to 5 days a week working toward over cavaletti. Also backing exercises to help build up her quadriceps and carrot stretches for her sore shoulders. Leading up to, probably, ponying down the road. It is such a relief to actually have a diagnosis that makes sense!

no.stirrups
Novice

Re: Finally a Diagnosis:Sticking Stifles

Postby no.stirrups » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Congratulations! My horse is looking weird behind again lately and I sure wish I knew why.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Re: Finally a Diagnosis:Sticking Stifles

Postby Srhorselady » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:05 pm

It is so hard when you know something isn't right, but can't figure it out. Very frustrating. One of the other things we were seriously considering was hock fusing. I don't know how old your horse is, but could that be a possibility? My Vet says she has seen that process take up to two years. Good Luck!

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”