anhyrdosis

Melody
Novice

anhyrdosis

Postby Melody » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:23 pm

Anything new in treating this? Long story short, one of my mares has been chronic with this for years, also has PSSM and for the past five years we have added cushings. She will sweat like crazy in early spring since the cushings but now that we have heat with high dew points she is having problems sweating again. Been on double dose ONE AC, gave beer yesterday twice but then she had a major muscle issue so I am afraid to keep up with beer. Switched to animed sweat again but has only had that for a couple of days. Of course she is in during the day with two fans on her and plenty of water. She is 20 years old. Just at a loss of what to try next.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: anhyrdosis

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:14 am

we have a mare with anhydrosis at my barn that does well on Red Cell. I am not sure why it helps, nor am i sure what made her owner try it, but it seems to help. Other than that we do hose and scrape when its very hot, to reduce her body temperature, and yes, out at night and in with a fan during the day.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:43 am

My neighbor's mare is 28 has anhydrosis and Cushings plus more. We use equi cool down sheet and leggings on her. Www.equicooldown.com these really do help to cool them down. The sheet is tiny so unless she is a pony or Arab go for the larger more blankety one. I've used mine intermittently for several years and it has held up ok.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:42 am

My late gelding had anhydrosis. We found that starting him on One AC about 6 weeks before it got hot really helped.
My vet also found a couple of acupuncture points that helped stimulate sweating.

Really, constant vigilance is the only way to get through it. Keep the horse inside under fans, feed electrolytes every day
and be vigilant as to how she handles the heat. If she has a thicker coat you can body clip, but I have had
mixed results with that.

Melody
Novice

Postby Melody » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Was hoping there was anything new. I keep her under fans during the day, take her to the wash rack and hose her neck. She has two fans, I started ONE AC back in March. We had a weird warmer March, back then she was sweating like crazy due to the cushings. I was hoping the cushings maybe would have cured the anhydrosis but no such luck. This is hard on her for the other reason of standing in the stall all day, not good for her PSSM but I have no choice. At least she is out all night. She did shed out but not slick. Only sweat so far is behind her ears. I fear a long long summer. I might try and get acupuncture if I can. Best vet that does that doesn't travel anymore and I am not hauling this mare. She wasn't as hard to manage before the cushings. Our dewpoints are crazy high with high temps. That's when she has the most problems, those stupid high dewpoints in the upper 70's.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:29 am

My vet has had some exceptionally good results with the acupuncture. Have you tried feeding beer?
That's been recommended to me but I haven't done it.
Apparently a stout type is best.
If you want my vet's info, so she can consult with yours just PM me. Good luck with your girl.

Melody
Novice

Postby Melody » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:48 pm

She is on beer. Guiness extra stout. She loves it but it's not doing much. Despite how horrible it feels out there though she isn't doing as bad as she was. Still not really sweating much though. I do have a vet close to me that supposedly does acupuncture. Haven't tried her yet. These two women vets started their practice in my tiny town. They only want to work 9 tp 5, five days a week. No weekends, not even Saturday which is most vets busy time. Will only do emergencies if it happens to be during normal office hours. So I never really wanted to use them. I don't get how they stay in business. If Sophie gets worse though I might have to call them. I don't know what else to try.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:11 am

I hear ya! I love my vet, but it is harder and harder to get her. Hers is a teaching clinic, so she and the partners no longer do emergency calls. If you have an emergency, the interns come out which I really struggle with! I know they are through school, but if I have an emergency
that requires a vet, I want one with some experience! Not one that I have to show how to fill out the call form.

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:06 am

I had a gelding who developed anhidrosis when he was on antihistamines. Once he was off of them he was alright.

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby khall » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:18 pm

I have dealt with several horses over the years with anhydrosis. Some were situational (only had trouble sweating when nursing a foal) others were chronic and attributed to other health issues (cushings). The cushings horse was the worst by far and what ended up doing the best for him was acupuncture. We did I think 2 treatments in the last couple of years of his life and did not have sweating issues after that. Made me a believer!

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”