High Potassium

greenhorse
Novice

High Potassium

Postby greenhorse » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:23 am

Has anyone's horse's bloodwork came back with high potassium? Did your horse show any symptoms?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: High Potassium

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:38 am

It should be treated fairly quickly if significant.. Calcium helps eliminate potassium, is his diet calcium rich?

Symptoms are muscle cramping, shaking and weakness but too much extra cellular potassium can cause irregular heart beat.

Horse needs to be well hydrated.

greenhorse
Novice

Postby greenhorse » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:30 pm

The vet said it wasn't at a dangerous level, but we will need to keep an eye on it. My usual vet won't be back for five more days. I called the vet because my horse, very suddenly--while I was watching, stopped eating and started snorting and shaking his head like a bug had flown up his nose. He became very agitated and continued to shake and snort. Vet came out had said the trigeminal nerve was irritated--head shaker syndrome.

He was sensitive to light and sound. He now only seems sensitive to certain sounds. Bloodwork came back normal except with high potassium. Of course, I am now reading everything I can find on head shaking. Some believe the cause can be high potassium in pasture plants which fluctuate and can be very high at this time of the year.

I am reading everything I can and plan on talking with my regular vet when he gets back in five days. I will also be adding up the amount of potassium he gets in his diet. I already had his hay analyzed before this happened.

greenhorse
Novice

Postby greenhorse » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:36 pm

He is on a very specific diet. I honestly don't know if it is calcium rich. He's on a ration balancer. Needs low NSC. Mostly amino acid supplements. He does also gets additional salt which I read is very necessary for the proper potassium/sodium ratio with most horses being deficient. Damn! I wish my regular vet was available now.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:47 am

If it is only one K value then I would repeat it. It may be in error or only be recording some transient condition.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:01 pm

greenhorse wrote:He is on a very specific diet. I honestly don't know if it is calcium rich. He's on a ration balancer. Needs low NSC. Mostly amino acid supplements. He does also gets additional salt which I read is very necessary for the proper potassium/sodium ratio with most horses being deficient. Damn! I wish my regular vet was available now.

Your hay analysis should be able to answer your questions about the mineral balances in his diet, as pasture grasses and hays grown in the same general area often have the same mineral excesses and deficiencies.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:20 am

did you run another test? has he stopped shaking his head?

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:29 pm

I would repeat the lab test as a hemolyzed blood sample would show falsely elevated potassium level.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”