Reserpine - Experience?

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Reserpine - Experience?

Postby Hayburner » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:50 am

My mare is finally allowed to be hand walked. Due to explosive (rearing) nature my vet gave me the liquid form of Reserpine to take the edge off and to hopefully keep her calm when walking. I so don't want a reinjury!

Has anyone here used used the liquid form? Did you have a good experience using it? How much did you give? Can you also use dormosadan gel with it? I would only use the dormosadan gel when she gets her teeth floated in the next 2 weeks.

I'm worried about using this drug, but I need to do something to keep all 4 feet on the ground.

Thanks!

Chisamba

Re: Reserpine - Experience?

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:47 am

I have only used it as an injectible, and i thought it had long term effects, so I am no help wrt to the liquid, but it was invaluable . We used it for a horse that did not keep calm well and needed to. It worked well, gave us about three weeks of taking the edge off.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:28 pm

THanks Chisamba - We went with the oral as it causes less side effects - as in explosive diarrhea.

I'm hoping it helps us with hand walking her - naturally, as I google it I've gotten so many mixed reviews. Some say it helped - some say it made the horse crazy - it is an antipsychotic...

khall

Postby khall » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:11 pm

A good friend of mine (who happens to be a DVM) used it on her mare during her stall rest from fractured elbow. Worked well for the most part, once she was able to get her out of the stall she would add in a bit of Ace injectable to help keep the mare safe to handle.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”