Bute, Equioxx or ?

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Bute, Equioxx or ?

Postby Hayburner » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:39 pm

Last month my retired Cushinoid 30 year old was ouchy and slow on his right front, probably tweaked it getting up in the pasture. He had an injury to his digital flexor on that leg years ago from getting up in mud.

I gave him 3 weeks of Equioxx (1) per day. He did great, he was moving like a 10 year old, so I weaned him down to 1/2 a pill for a week or so. Then took him off of it completely, to see how he'd do with no pain meds.

He stayed comfortable for a couple of weeks. I have noticed that he is now moving slower and may even have some soreness in the right front again. At his age, it could just all be general arthritis too. IT's more noticeable when he's being lead in and out from turnout, he has to go across small gravel and a slight slope. He has excellent feet, so it's not a hoof issue. It may be that he's moving slower (ouchy) and is more careful on the slope as the stones can be slick.

I haven't consulted with my vet yet, thought I'd see what others are giving their geriatric horses to keep them comfortable. My old vet use to say, once they get up in age a little bute a day is expected and not an issue for the old ones. But, I believe that was before the use of Equioxx. The only meds/supps he gets is Prascend daily and extra vitamin E.

A friend suggested Adaquan injections, but my vet is not big on giving the old ones injections. With his Cushings I'd also worry about an infection in the injection site.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Re: Bute, Equioxx or ?

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:13 am

All my old ones get Previcox daily which is just the "dog" name for Equioxx. It is a LOT cheaper. My 30 year old also has Cushings, but otherwise is still going strong and being ridden two to three times daily. I also give it to the 23 year old with navicular and the 19 year old with laminitis, insulin resistance, and hind patella issues. They have been getting it for several years. I have a blood panel run once a year to check liver values since that can be a problem with some horses. All of this is with the blessing of my vets.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:15 am

Sorry it's getting late...30 year old is ridden two to three times weekly not daily!

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:23 am

My horse is 20 and gets 1/4 pill of Previcox in a fig newton daily. If I had a horse on bute at that dose I would be giving ranintidine along with it. The Previcox doesn't need that. It is safe and effective. The loading dose is 3/4 of a Previcox pill or three Equioxx. I was giving more than the 1/4 pill for a while because that assumes a 1250 pound horse and the last time I weighted my horse he was 1360 pound. He has been out of ridden work for about 5 weeks and out of shoes for almost 4 weeks. I am still dosing him with the Previcox for the barefoot situation and will continue when he is back in shoes.

My vet also left me with a box of Adequan when he came out for the strange lameness. I have done Adequan twice before and my trainer and I agreed that nothing changed. But that may have been because he didn't actually need it then when he was younger. He may benefit from it now. As soon as he is back under saddle I will do the doses and see if anything changes.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:23 am

Srhorselady wrote:Sorry it's getting late...30 year old is ridden two to three times weekly not daily!

LOL!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:47 pm

Thanks for the responses - I did call my vet this morning and he can only prescribe Equioxx. I will start him with 1 a day....

Srhorselady - My brows definitely lifted when I read 2 to 3 times daily ! LOL

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:16 pm

It's a legal thing. Most of us with horses on Previcox got our prescriptions before Equioxx was available for horses in tablet form. Therefore, prescribing Previcox "off label" was legal. Now that there is a tablet form available for horses it is no longer legal to prescribe Previcox for horses. When I saw that Equioxx was coming out in tablet form I ordered a large quantity of Previcox knowing it would be cheaper. I'm not sure how my vet is going to feel about renewing my Previcox Rx when my supply runs out. Anyway...much safer ulcer wise than Bute for long term use. Also the horses don't mind the taste.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Tsavo you might want to try Pentosan if Adequan is ineffective. Colorado State has done some research and it is used a lot in Australia. Check the Internet and with your vet.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Actually I did a bunch of reading on the evidence case for this class of treatments and I couldn't find anything convincing. I was a little surprised that my vet just prescribed the Adequan without any discussion. He knows I am an evidence type of gal so I accepted it thinking the evidence case had improved.

While the jury is possibly still out on Adequan, it is in on Legend... it is physiologically incapable of working as advertised. Thus I will never accept that med under any circumstance.

I did use acetyl glucose mine for years at a rate of every 3 weeks and that did seem to move the needle on a bobble in small voltes right but I stopped it a few years ago to see if I still needed it. I didn't but I attribute that to an improvement in how I was riding him.

You know, none of this stuff is easy or obvious or straightforward in my opinion. I would like to see radiographs of SRS horses for comparison. Or actually Uta Graf's horses or Ingrid Klimke's horses. I have no control subjects that have been ridden expertly from day one to compare with.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:31 pm

Tsavo wrote:Actually I did a bunch of reading on the evidence case for this class of treatments and I couldn't find anything convincing. I was a little surprised that my vet just prescribed the Adequan without any discussion. He knows I am an evidence type of gal so I accepted it thinking the evidence case had improved.

While the jury is possibly still out on Adequan, it is in on Legend... it is physiologically incapable of working as advertised. Thus I will never accept that med under any circumstance.

I did use acetyl glucose mine for years at a rate of every 3 weeks and that did seem to move the needle on a bobble in small voltes right but I stopped it a few years ago to see if I still needed it. I didn't but I attribute that to an improvement in how I was riding him.

You know, none of this stuff is easy or obvious or straightforward in my opinion. I would like to see radiographs of SRS horses for comparison. Or actually Uta Graf's horses or Ingrid Klimke's horses. I have no control subjects that have been ridden expertly from day one to compare with.

What evidence do you have that Legend is physiologically incapable of working as advertised? I would really like to see that. That was the ONLY thing that kept my horse sound.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”