The sanest article ever written about barefoot in the history of the known universe.

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

The sanest article ever written about barefoot in the history of the known universe.

Postby Tsavo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:11 am

http://www.lamenessprevention.org/index ... Itemid=120

The Barefoot Horse - Balancing the How, Why & When?
By: Patty Stiller, CNBBT, CNBF, CLS, CE ~ Copyright © 2010
Many horse owners today are considering permanently taking shoes off their horses. These decisions stem from many factors. Some of these decisions are financial, while many are based on information presented widely on the internet and in equine publications. Unfortunately some of this information is not based on good science, although it is presented as such.

As a full time hoof care provider for three decades, my experience has shown me that for many domestic horses barefoot is an appropriate and successful hoof care option as long as all the parts of the ‘formula for success’ are present. I weigh all of the many factors to help horse owners make the appropriate decision for that individual.

First and foremost, we need to consider that we are not keeping most of our domestic horses in Nature’s environment. An environment that promotes optimal development and maintenance of the hoof from birth is one reason why feral horses have such great quality hooves. We have also bred the optimal hoof quality out of many domestic horses, in our pursuit of other traits. Feral horses are naturally selected for good hooves.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The sanest article ever written about barefoot in the history of the known universe.

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:35 pm

I agree that the piece offers a sensible overview.

I am glad that my mare transitioned very well to being barefoot and that I have a wonderful barefoot trimmer that comes every 5 weeks. But it is not the right choice in all cases. Even after years of good hoof care and developing a nice think sole, she is touchy on big gravel. So I avoid big gravel!

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”