Bot eggs

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Bot eggs

Postby PaulaO » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:41 pm

EEEEWWW! Miss A. had bot eggs on her girth area that were not there yesterday. I picked them off with my fingernails (EEEEEW), sprayed the area with fly spray, and stopped at Farm and Fleet for the Slick and Groom block. Other than being vigilant with grooming, is there a way to deter these things?

NancyP
Novice

Re: Bot eggs

Postby NancyP » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:26 pm

Not that I have found :(
They will soon be gone.
Don't forget to de-worm after the first killing frost.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:11 pm

I've been waiting for those nasties to show up here, but so far, no bots!

Best tool for removal of eggs is a bot knife; don't bother with anything else. An inexpensive but worthwhile investment.

I've found that using Farnam's WIPE fly repellant does a darn good job of deterring either the flies from laying, or the eggs from sticking. The spray products are not effective, must be WIPE in the little green jug. More labor intensive, since it must be applied with a cloth, rag, etc, but I've found it really works.

Rooney
Greenie

Postby Rooney » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:24 am

Since moving to South Carolina I've not seen bot eggs until this year. I've seen them on horses all around the state! :-O

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Do not pick off bot eggs in any place where horses eat - you do not want the horses to ingest the eggs (where they will complete their life cycle).

If I find them, I squish them between my fingernails after pulling them off. They make a satisfying pop for such a tiny thing.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:54 am

If you pick them off with your fingernails, wash your hands well afterwards. You don't want to ingest them.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”