Episode 5 in which the LF is consistently gimpy both directions

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Episode 5 in which the LF is consistently gimpy both directions

Postby Tsavo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:55 pm

Well I stopped lunging because the LF is now consistently gimping going left. The original lameness, LF only when going right, is improved in terms of it is only intermittent now.

The blue jellies will come this week and maybe he can have them on next week. The heel is pretty much grown out and has only a little left to go if it ever will. I am not convinced he is going to be sound. This is a lameness localized to the foot. I am not sure he is going to recover whatever it is. I am not convinced this has anything to do with the underrun heel any more since that is almost fixed.

I regret trying to keep him in some type of work and lunging him for these past two months without shoes. I didn't continue lunging when he was gimping but there were periods when he was sound in both directions so I worked him. I now think he should have been rested even when sound.

This is in the foot and he was sound with a PD block. Can anyone tell me what this might be accounting for the original presentation (gimping only when the foot was on the outside) and now gimping mainly when it is on the inside?

There was nothing seen on any of the many radiographs.

Can this be a VERY slow blow abscess???

kande50

Re: Episode 5 in which the LF is consistently gimpy both directions

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:21 am

I thought the vet said he had high ringbone and arthritic changes in both coffin bones?

Did the vet say that his crushed heel had recovered?

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:01 pm

kande50 wrote:I thought the vet said he had high ringbone and arthritic changes in both coffin bones?

I specifically asked what fits the lameness pattern I outlined. Do those diagnoses fit? If not then it is true, true, and irrelevant.

It is almost recovered per the farrier. Also, you don't need a vet to see which way the tubules are growing.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Tsavo wrote:
kande50 wrote:I thought the vet said he had high ringbone and arthritic changes in both coffin bones?

I specifically asked what fits the lameness pattern I outlined. Do those diagnoses fit? If not then it is true, true, and irrelevant.

It is almost recovered per the farrier. Also, you don't need a vet to see which way the tubules are growing.

Tsavo, if you want help, then post here. If you want people to just agree with you that it is a slow growing abscess, state that. And this belongs in the veterinary forum.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:49 pm

I want people who have seen this lameness pattern to tell me what the diagnosis was. If nobody has seen this lameness pattern then I expect no answers. I am looking for experience with this pattern. If people haven't seen it then I can't majick any experience into existence in the group.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:37 pm

Tsavo wrote:I want people who have seen this lameness pattern to tell me what the diagnosis was. If nobody has seen this lameness pattern then I expect no answers. I am looking for experience with this pattern. If people haven't seen it then I can't majick any experience into existence in the group.

Right, cause no one in the world has seen a horse who is lame on the outside and then the inside.

Tsavo, people quit answering you because of your historic pattern of aggression and dismissiveness, not because none of us has gone through what you are going through. Just saying.

His rads show quite a bit of osteoarthritis in the pastern and coffin bone. Those rads show why he is having the lamenesses he is manifesting.

As I recall, originally the vet said to walk him only. From the way you have posted the progression, you were lunging and trotting him. I know you are a good lunger and run alongside etc so he is not just pounding on the circle, but he probly tweaked his arthritis somewhere. As I recall he also has quite a bit of sidebone which can totally manifest as lameness on the inside or outside of the circle. I think it is also safe to assume that at his age and background that he has some cervical osteoarthritis going on.

There is no evidence that it is anything other than his osteoarthritis flaring and making him sore on the circle. There is no evidence that it has anything to do with his shoeing situation or lack thereof. I doubt if it is an abcess. If a horse of mine had those rads I would be rubbing Surpass on those pasterns twice a day (check with the vet if he thinks topicals can be used with the oral ie Equioxx), using the magic cushion, putting him on Equine Leg Magic (an excellent mineral supplement that can actually reduce clinical lamenesses), keeping him on a Pentosan regimen, using Back on Track standing wraps every night, and keeping him off the damn circles.

He is an athlete showing his age. Treat him as such. You owe him that.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”