Pracend (pergolide)

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Pracend (pergolide)

Postby musical comedy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Well guys, this is one thing that isn't woo-woo. This stuff works! My guy became Cushings this year. I noticed it all of a sudden. He was drinking massive amounts of water. Tested really high on ACTH. Put him on 1 pracend tablet a day for less than 2 months. Just tested and ACTH is normal. I know as time goes on, I may have to increase the pracend dosage, but for now I'm a happy camper. His insulin is normal too. I've been worried about laminitis cause he's big guy of 1600 pounds and now retired and not getting exercise.

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Re: Pracend (pergolide)

Postby Dapple Field » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:23 am

My pony is also on Prascend but he is only 600 pounds so is getting one half tab a day. He's been on it a couple of years and so far his blood work is good. He is old enough that he's losing teeth though.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:09 pm

My 30 year old has been on it for at least 5 years. We started at 1 pill, last year I bumped him up to 1 1/2. I tried before the seasonal rise to take him back down to 1, but his urination increased dramatically, so he's back to 1 1/2.

Your horses high ACTH may have also been driven by the season rise, just depends on when you tested. I test before seasonal rise for a baseline..

If you are worried about laminitis, how was his insulin levels? Did you make changes to his diet and turnout protocol?

Glad you found and got treatment for him. I hate Cushing disease!!!

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:04 pm

I started my large pony last summer on half pill and his ACTH tested back within normal range. This will be a continued management and life style adjustment.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”