Ariel is in season

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Ariel is in season

Postby PaulaO » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:34 pm

I'm new to this mare thing. Yesterday while riding Miss A. stopped and lifted her tail. I thought she was going to,pass manure, but nothing. A few steps later, same thing except she urinated. I was done riding so I dismounted and almost gagged at the smell. An instructor said, oh yeah, mare urine in season really stinks. Her vuvlva was winking so yep. Other than that, no touchiness or silly behavior. Do I need to do anything?

piedmontfields

Re: Ariel is in season

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Do anything? Just usual care and awareness if she gets extra silly. And a bit extra distance near other horses sometimes is prudent.

Emi's spring cycles tend to result in heightened mare-dar (radar) and spookiness. It passes quickly.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:51 am

she might need a little wash around the vulva and cheeks if there is urine splashing

might want to keep track on calendar so you can suss out if she is going to be a problem child

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:12 pm

Perhaps I'm used to it as I have so many mares but I don't find the smell particularly offensive. Use less leg and more seat or a light tap when the mare is in season since they tend to push back into leg pressure.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:28 am

Paulao. Im new to this mare stuff too! My mare gets brain dead and you just can't get her back mentally.
Luckily, she doesn't show any other signs of being in season. Tho, I do thok this year when her fiaet in season started she was quite colicky.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:15 am

My mare has been evil lately but I haven't noticed her in season, I think it is just the Spring sillies.
She has been taking off when I turn her out, most often before I have officially let her go. GRRRR. Evil mare. Today I pulled her halter holding her with the lead rope around her neck. She tried to take off but I held her. So I say, if that is your course of action, we will school. I put her halter back on but while I was releasing the rope from around her neck...off she went. She knows I can't hold her with the back issues I am having now and ripped the rope out of my hand (luckily gloved). She cavorted all over of the (small) turnout dragging her rope. I couldn't get near her. When I finally did catch her I could tell she was ready for me to beat on her which I was really inclined to do but my horsemanship skills have gotten much better knowing that would solve nothing. I led her around about a minute, took her halter off and she just stood there. It is like she knows better but something possesses her :o . We will just continue schooling. It isn't even like she is cooped up in a stall. She has a large dry lot pen (OK, today it was very much mud) where she can move at will 24/7.

Have to love mares.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”