Multiplex Lyme test within a PPE? Others tests you would add?

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Multiplex Lyme test within a PPE? Others tests you would add?

Postby Tsavo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:20 pm

I will be looking for a horse in the coming few years and I am wondering if people are doing the Lyme testing for PPEs on horses from areas with very high Lyme prevalence.

Both my horse and I had Lyme in 2014, probably contracted on the same trail ride, and I don't want to unwittingly deal with it again.
Last edited by Tsavo on Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Re: Multiplex Lyme test within a PPE?

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:14 pm

i have not done it but i think its a good idea

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:52 pm

I think if that is what you want as a buyer, you could request to arrange and pay for that.

I know that since having a horse with PSSM, I'd be inclined to test for that---even in warmbloods. I would certainly do it in draft crosses (even Clydes, as breeding is sometimes ?!). I'm lucky to have my mare well managed, but some cases are much more difficult and tragic.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:22 am

Thanks Chisamba and PF for these comments.

I am not completely wigged out about it any more and I might still take a horse but I would offer $10K less.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:33 pm

I would also be sure to scope the airway to look for NCS, especially if the horse is from TX, FL, or the Carolinas. Definitely worth the PPE screening.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:07 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:I would also be sure to scope the airway to look for NCS, especially if the horse is from TX, FL, or the Carolinas. Definitely worth the PPE screening.

Well I had to look that up. I am the Carolinas and don't know of any horses with that condition. I like your suggestion, though.

I am going to edit the thread title to ask what other tests people would consider within a PPE from various parts of the country. That said, location of the horse may not be edifying. My horse was born in eastern Canada, was brought to western Canada, and I brought him to North Carolina. Because he was in western Canada for about 5 years, I wouldn't have done a Lyme titer even now that I know about it.

I guess my vet will have some ideas about potentially relevant tests also.

Thanks.

khall

Re: Multiplex Lyme test within a PPE? Others tests you would add?

Postby khall » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:25 am

Tsavo NCS is what Rip has and we are in middle Georgia. He has never been to TX nor lived in FL. It is found in the panhandle of FL/south GA and in FL in general as well. Supposedly we are the only case in middle GA. NCS has also been found in Aiken, just FYI. Scoping a horse in general IMO is not a bad thing to do anyway. Found where bermuda grass grows.

I too would agree with PSSM testing.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:30 am

Thanks khall. I am sorry to hear about Rip having this.

if I can find another Clyde cross, I think I am okay with not doing the PSSM testing as long as the other breed in the cross is not likely to have it. As far as I can tell albeit from just one source, it is unheard of in Clydes.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:39 am

https://cvm.msu.edu/research/faculty-re ... e-myopathy

9. WHAT BREEDS ARE AFFECTED BY PSSM1?
PSSM1 is a glycogen storage disease that has been found in over 20 different breeds. It was first recognized in horses with Quarter Horse bloodlines such as Quarter Horses, American Paint Horses and Appaloosas and in draft and warmblood breeds with continental European bloodlines (Belgian and Percheron, for example). The degree to which horses exhibit clinical disease with the PSSM1 mutation varies between breeds. This is because diet, exercise regimes and the many interactions between genes can vary from breed to breed.

The following table describes the number of randomly samples horses that tested positive for the PSSM11 mutation out of the total number of horses tested as well as the % of horses that were positive for the mutation (prevalence).

Number with PSSM1 Prevalence
Number

with PSSM1

Prevalence
QH 22/335 6.6%
Paint 15/195 7.7%
Appaloosa 9/152 5.9%
Morgan 2/214 0.9%
Percheron 93/149 62%
Belgian 58/149 39%
Shire 1/195 0.5%
Clydesdale 0/48 0%
Trekpaard 17/23 74%
Comtois 70/88 80%
Breton 32/51 63%
Reference: Baird et al Vet Rec. 2010 Nov 13;167(20):781-4. McCue et al J Vet Intern Med. 2008 Sep-Oct;22(5):1228-33

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:41 am

https://cvm.msu.edu/research/faculty-re ... e-myopathy

4. WHAT BREEDS ARE DIAGNOSED WITH PSSM2?
Approximately 70% of cases of PSSM diagnosed by muscle biopsy in Quarter Horses have PSSM2. Type 2 PSSM seems to be more common in higher performance horses such as barrel racing, reining and cutting horses compared to the high prevalence of PSSM1 in halter horses. There is overlap in the biopsy appearance of PSSM2 and RER and many PSSM2 Quarter Horses respond well to the recommended treatment for RER.

About 80% of cases of PSSM diagnosed by biopsy in Warmbloods are PSSM2. Breeds affected include Dutch Warmbloods, Swedish Warmbloods, Hanoverians, Friesians, Selle Francais, Westphalian, Canadian Warmblood, Irish Sport Horse, Gerdlander, Husien, Icelandic horses and many more.

Many other light breeds have also been diagnosed PSSM2 including Morgans, Arabians, Standardbreds and Thoroughbreds.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:48 am

PSSM is pretty common in TBs, so if you get a TB/Clyde cross it could come from the TB side. There is a blood test by Equisec to test for PSSM2 and it's variants and other muscle diseases. There is a FB group for PSSM, very illuminating.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:59 pm

Well in that case I may have to get a Clyde crossed with a Clyde. :-)

Maybe the Clyde genes are so potent as to prevent PSSM from manifesting in the crosses. :-)

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”