Rain, lost shoes, and barefoot

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Rain, lost shoes, and barefoot

Postby Tsavo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:55 pm

It has been raining pretty much daily. My horse lost one front shoe last week and then he lost the other last night.

I think he can go barefoot based on the fact that I didn't note a difference when the shoe was lost last week. I did notice a difference when the other horse I ride lost a shoe. Based on that and the continued rain, I am going to try him barefoot again. He has normal gaits now so if it changes it will be due to being barefoot. I will give him some time on this and then either keep him barefoot or put the shoes back on and hope it stops raining.

Tsavo

Re: Rain, lost shoes, and barefoot

Postby Tsavo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:29 am

The climate has changed. We can't keep the shoes on. We will go at it barefoot.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:42 pm

its been wet here surprisingly late in the year. i prefer barefoot if it is at all possible

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:01 am

Climate change is real. Barefoot is an option! Hope all works out for your fellow.

Sincerely,

Emi, barefoot first by necessity (abcess-land) and now by choice (via diet and trimmer)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:23 am

And here we are, so dry and burning up, with the ground like iron. My barefoot guy has had to go into shoes so he still has feet.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:49 am

Rain...what is that? My barefoot girl has hooves like flint. And they are doing a champion job of chipping. It is only cosmetic. They look like crap but she is sound as can be despite hoof appearance.
She is getting trimmed this week, a week late because of my surgery. They will look better for a couple days :roll: .

If your horse is happy and sound on the ground you have without shoes...go for it.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:08 am

Kyra's Mom wrote:Rain...what is that? My barefoot girl has hooves like flint. And they are doing a champion job of chipping. It is only cosmetic. They look like crap but she is sound as can be despite hoof appearance.

I too, think that chips are only cosmetic and are just a temporary side effect of allowing hooves to self trim, which IMO, is the best way to maintain healthy hooves. As long as the walls stay short and the bottom of the hoof is on, or at least close enough to the ground so that it gets enough stimulation, I leave the hoof alone.

If I wanted the edges to be smoother I'd just run a rasp around them, but it makes no difference to the health of the hoof.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:18 am

I love hearing about hard feet on your horses. My horse used to have hard feet when he lived in Calgary, the land that thrush forgot. Dry as a bone.

I don't think there is enough product or husbandry in the world to counter the amount of precip we have had. My horse in on dewy grass all night and part of the morning. It is drenching. He might as well be standing in a stream.

Without shoes he is mincing slightly. I hope that goes away. In shoes my horse has recovered and the rehab is over.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:07 pm

Nope nope nope. I had one almost normal ride after the shoes on the front were pulled and since then his left hind is toast. He could not canter straight. I lunged him today and he both fell out and locked the stifle. I am sure the hock is flaring also. His has a large limp on the left hind.

Is this a coincidence with pulling the shoes or has pulling the shoes made him travel differently to the point of toasting the left hind?

This horse is broken after I had him back where were were a year ago. I may have to go to glue on shoes if pulling them has caused this.

musical comedy
500 post plus club

Postby musical comedy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:33 pm

There's a saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I wouldn't be going back and forth between shoes and barefoot. That said, I think it is a coincidence that barefoot he is lame, unless that lameness is in the foot. I think he probably has more than one thing going on, as many horses his age do. As I've said to you before, I think you need to accept that he is winding down his athletic career and things are not going to get better; only worse. I'm of the thinking that I want to retire my horse sound enough that he can enjoy his retirement, not wait until he is so lame that I can't ride him anymore. Think about that Tsavo.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:12 pm

Well but my vet's advice was to NOT retire him. I did anyway and that appeared to be the wrong thing to do.

Before the left hind incident recently, he was moving as he was a year ago. By that I mean comfortably. He was not that comfortable at the beginning of the rehab because he stiffened up during the retirement. So the vet appears to be correct about not retiring him and working him so that he is more comfortable.

Turnout can keep him comfortable for sure but work can also and maybe better just like physical therapy makes people feel better.

What would you say to my vet?

musical comedy
500 post plus club

Postby musical comedy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:13 pm

I listen to my vet but not always. I have my own opinion on things, as you know. I have had vets make some bad judgement calls.

The point is that the horse is lame now, so why would you want to ride a lame horse? I think it is BS that people think horses do not like to be retired and they want to be in a work program. People think that to make themselves feel better. As long as they have turnout and a buddy, they are happy as clams.

I will ask you this. When will you retire him? What will it take for that to happen?

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:36 pm

My horse is lame now on the left hind. He was sound for weeks before that. I can't ride him now. I could ride him then.

I will retire him if he can't come sound. If this left hind issue doesn't resolve I will have to retire him. He has had a flare of lameness on this leg in the past I I asked about fusing the hocks. If this is a flare he will resolve. If it is an acute injury he will likely resolve. If it is something worse it won't resolve and I will retire him.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:18 am

Tsavo wrote:My horse is lame now on the left hind. He was sound for weeks before that. I can't ride him now. I could ride him then.

I will retire him if he can't come sound. If this left hind issue doesn't resolve I will have to retire him. He has had a flare of lameness on this leg in the past I I asked about fusing the hocks. If this is a flare he will resolve. If it is an acute injury he will likely resolve. If it is something worse it won't resolve and I will retire him.

This is interesting, because I feel that if my horse does have a more vulnerable hind it would be his left hind, because I think that one helps compensate for the right front club more than the right hind does. The right hind steps out laterally more, but the left hind steps under medially, and for some reason I feel like that puts more strain on the left hind. I don't know because I haven't had any diagnostics done because he appears to be sound, but at some point I may, just so I have some kind of a baseline.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:58 pm

While the left hind has the only foot that is close to normal, I agree the left hind leg probably takes a beating with a club on the right front. The issue is at least stifle and probably also hock during this episode. During the last episode it appeared to be hock as he was not falling out or locking the patella then. We buted him last night and he is sound going left but still limping slightly going right with the bad leg on the outside.

I will bute him a few more days and see where we are.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”