Laminitis

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Laminitis

Postby PaulaO » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:09 pm

My friend's horse has laminitis, probably Cushing's related. She sees her horse every day, but doesn't do anything with him. Apparently he wasn't feeling good for 3 days so she called the vet. Vet diagnosed Cushing's, laminitis, and thrush. Horse was on a is on Banamine, stall rest, cold hosing, and Prescend(?), and did a course of antibiotics.

Anyway, what's the latest scoop/treatment for laminitis?

kande50

Re: Laminitis

Postby kande50 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:56 pm

PaulaO wrote:
Anyway, what's the latest scoop/treatment for laminitis?

I don't know if they still do it, but it used to include sole support, to help prevent rotation.

A friend's horse had Lyme related laminitis last summer and the vet confined the horse to a stall, with bedding, but never suggested taping on Lily pads or anything, so maybe they don't do that, anymore?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:58 pm

My friend's horse had a really really bad case of laminitis with rotation. They did bilateral tenotomy and the horse is now rideable which is amazing.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:25 pm

My old mare went through a bad case of founder in 2015. Almost lost her. She was sinking and had issues with blood flow. Best thing I did (big $) was to do the venogram to see what her blood flow looked like. Turned out she had reduced in her LF that required the farrier to groove the hoof to relieve the pressure. Then the farrier put her in a plate similar to what American Pharaoh wore with dental impression material to prevent her from sinking. Get radiographs to see what the sole depth is. With initial insult DMSO through IG tube saved her life.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:55 am

Soft Ride boots!! They're a life saver for laminitis, and can really help prevent rotation. Get the turquoise/purple gel inserts for laminitis. Act fast, if you delay it's too late.

http://www.softrideboots.com

I just went through a 9 month low grade laminitis with my driving pony and she has fully returned to soundness and work. Here's what we did:

Soft Ride boots on fronts

In addition to her SmartPak Perform vitamins I added the following (this all came from Juliet Getty's book "Feed Your Horse Like a Horse" section on Laminitis):

MSM
Co-Q 10 supplement
Pre & Probiotics (smart digest)
Ginko Biloba
1/2 C NutraFlax/day
Vitamin C

Also Previcox per my vet

And last but very important, I switched her diet to soaked Triple Crown Naturals Low NSC Timothy Balance Cubes (10% NSC and 8% protein)
Last edited by Fatcat on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:19 am

Fatcat soft rides were not enough for my mare, she had to be shod and was stalled for 10 months because her hooves were so unstable. I've used them before with a mare who had a mechanical founder, but my older mare foundered because of dex and early PPID. Yes I agree with the low NSC diet, which my horses are on for the most part anyway (soaking hay, TC lite or 30% balancer) I used bute for several months with my mare to get her happy enough and out of pain. I got lucky and listened to what my farrier and vet told me to do to the letter.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:55 am

Make sure your friend has an excellent farrier who will work with her vet. Latest research shows different types of laminitis. In laminitis due to Metabolic issues the lamina tend to stretch rather than just release. Icing can still be effective if caught early enough in an acute phase. I definitely recommend soft rides. Some farrier supply places carry them. Draw an outline of the front hooves on paper and take with you to size correctly since they have LOTS of sizes. Along with the low carb diet, Soft Rides, and various shoeing options my vet and I are using the following medications and supplements: Levothyroxine, Metaboral, and Metformin. Some metabolic horses respond to each of these. Kerry didn’t show any improvement until on all of them. She is also on both Bute and Previcox. This mare had her first laminitis attack when she was 4 and she is now 20. She had minor rotation (4 degrees) in one foot at 5 then went 11 years without another acute attack in normal, but never heavy, training and use. I’ve been fighting this horrible disease regularly with her for the last almost 5 years with acute attacks every summer. She had additional 2degree rotation last year, then this last September I lost the war. Her last set of X-rays show complete rotation in one foot. She has thick soles and is in Soft Rides. With the cooler weather she is comfortable and stable. As long as that is the case I’ll leave the status quo. Good luck to your friend and her horse.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:21 am

Fatcat wrote:Soft Ride boots!! They're a life saver for laminitis, and can really help prevent rotation. Get the turquoise/purple gel inserts for laminitis. Act fast, if you delay it's too late.

The advice used to be to tape styrofoam pads to the bottom of the hoof immediately, because when it comes to preventing rotation the single most important factor, independent of the severity of the episode, is how soon sole support is provided.

IOW, severe laminitis that's treated immediately will have a better outcome than a mild case in which treatment is delayed.

Dreamer
Greenie

Postby Dreamer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:28 pm

I think it depends so much on the severity. My mare rotated but was comfortable in Easyboot clouds to support and cushion the sole. She also had shoes with dental impression material for a while. The shoes where not nailed since the hoof wall can be unstable. Since she was comfortable, she was able to have turnout to help keep her moving. Remember, if the hoof wall has separated at all, it is unstable and you don’t want the hoof wall supporting the hoof. For rotation, you have to make sure there is not too much pressure on the sole where the tip of the coffin bone is pointing while the laminitis grows out. Careful trimming can bring the hoof back into proper alignment.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:59 pm

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”