Digestive supplements, outlast, ulcer prevention

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Digestive supplements, outlast, ulcer prevention

Postby blob » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm currently treating my gelding for ulcers (using the omeprazole pop rocks). He's completed one month, but he'll be on for another month before tapering off. In the meantime, I'd like to start thinking ahead to ulcer prevention for him. He doesn't have a history of colic (knock on wood) and his poop stays pretty firm, but he is the nervous type, so some kind of long-term digestive support seems like it would be a good idea.

Of course, it's been ages since I've had one that needed a digestive supplement and there are a LOT of options on the market. Curious if anyone has any thoughts either on particular supplements that are good or on specific ingredients and quantities that are most effective.

I'm also curious about Outlast (purina), which is a top dress feed. The ingredients don't seem to be anything more than alfalfa + magnesium + calcium, but there are some very positive reviews out there.

Currently he gets both alfalfa (2 flakes) and bermuda grass hay (all he can eat) in addition to his grain. For supplements he is on cocosoya (fat source) and magnesium.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Re: Digestive supplements, outlast, ulcer prevention

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:27 pm

I am a huge fan of Riva's Remedies.
https://rivasremedies.com/

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:35 pm

I treated Annabelle last winter, then put her on SmartGI Ultra for several months. Based on a recommendation, I started her on Outlast, then tapered off the SmartGI this summer. So far so good. The Outlast is her "grain" that her supplements go in.

I give her 3 caps of generic esomeprazole as a preventative around shows. So far so good with this system. I might put her back on SmartGI if we start doing more showing/clinics.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:03 pm

I'm using Alfalfa lox by Triple Crown for my mare. Feeding fat and alfalfa I would think would cover you pretty well though you might want to add in an Omega supplement (I like Omega horse shine). I had asked my vet who scoped my mare who has had issues with ulcers and he said alfalfa was one of the best ways to help prevent them.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:41 pm

After initial omep treatment I have then all on omega horseshine, and one of the smartpak GI supplements. I also think Succeed is important, as hind gut ulcers can be just as troublesome as gastric ulcers.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:30 pm

For hind gut issues I’ve had very good luck with Saccharomyces. It comes in capsules that are easily opened. They are available at health food stores or cheaper on the internet. My first vet highly recommended them for horses with hind gut or loose piles. It is one of the major ingredients in Suceed. I use when needed for horses with problems and continuously (3 capsules am and pm) with a horse with IBD issues.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:19 am

khall wrote:I'm using Alfalfa lox by Triple Crown for my mare. Feeding fat and alfalfa I would think would cover you pretty well though you might want to add in an Omega supplement (I like Omega horse shine). I had asked my vet who scoped my mare who has had issues with ulcers and he said alfalfa was one of the best ways to help prevent them.

I should mention that, in April, I moved from a barn that was very reluctant to feed alfalfa (despite the fact that I'd purchased it for my horses :? ), to a place that feeds whichever grass/alfalfa ratio the owner prefers, so alfalfa intake did increase this year.
Keep calm and canter on.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:19 pm

I feed SmartGI Ultra to my two that are internalizers. It's a combination of their SmartGut and SmartDigest products with ingredients such as:

GastrAvert® 17,000 mg
(a proprietary blend of Sea Buckthorn, Aloe Vera, L-Glutamine, Pectin, Lecithin)
Diamond V® Yeast 7,000 mg
(Saccharomyces cerevisiae)
Calcium Carbonate5,000 mg
Hydrolyzed Collagen3,000 mg
Magnesium Carbonate3,000 mg
Fructooligosaccharides 2,750 mg
Mannanoligosaccharides 2,550 mg
Deglycyrrhized Licorice*2,500 mg
Magnesium Silicate2,000 mg
L-Glutamine1,000 mg
Glycine1,000 mg
Kaolin1,000 mg
Arabinogalactan700 mg
Gamma Oryzanol600 mg
Psyllium Seed Husk450 mg
Fenugreek400 mg
Slippery Elm350 mg
Marshmallow Root Extract300 mg
Oat Beta Glucan

Works great and they're on the ColicCare program!

blob

Postby blob » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:14 pm

StraightForward wrote:
khall wrote:I'm using Alfalfa lox by Triple Crown for my mare. Feeding fat and alfalfa I would think would cover you pretty well though you might want to add in an Omega supplement (I like Omega horse shine). I had asked my vet who scoped my mare who has had issues with ulcers and he said alfalfa was one of the best ways to help prevent them.

I should mention that, in April, I moved from a barn that was very reluctant to feed alfalfa (despite the fact that I'd purchased it for my horses :? ), to a place that feeds whichever grass/alfalfa ratio the owner prefers, so alfalfa intake did increase this year.

Yes, alfalfa seems to universally be recommended for ulcers. I'm careful with the amount I give my gelding since he's not a very big pony--but I'm grateful to be at a barn where I have some flexibility about hay ratios. I'm also glad to be at a place that does all day (winter) or all night (summer) turnout.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:23 am

After a treatment last year with nexium, I have had luck with GastroEase EQ from PerfectPrep. It has the MOS and FOS that works for the hind gut, and is about 1/3 the price of Succeed or the SmartPak products that contain them. Other products are more focused on the stomach and I wanted to be sure his hind gut was healthy. he is less girthy now, for one thing.....

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:23 am

After a treatment last year with nexium, I have had luck with GastroEase EQ from PerfectPrep. It has the MOS and FOS that works for the hind gut, and is about 1/3 the price of Succeed or the SmartPak products that contain them. Other products are more focused on the stomach and I wanted to be sure his hind gut was healthy. he is less girthy now, for one thing.....

girlygirl
Greenie

Postby girlygirl » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:50 pm

My young gelding was very girthy and started being broncy while lunging - not little “I’m feeling good” bucks but head down crow hopping bucks. I put him on Outlast after a lot of research. He has been on Outlast for 30 days and he is back to his easy going, happy to work self. Even my trainer was amazed at the difference.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”