Sheath issue

Benatus
Greenie

Sheath issue

Postby Benatus » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:45 am

Hey guys

So Albert croaked through what was a dastardly February weather wise and a terrible March (my Jemma got dx’d w/pulmonary hypertension and SARDS....I don’t think there was a glass of wine big enough to keep me sane, but I digress...we are adapting) with a great deal of patience.

I have noticed the last few years he’s more crusty in his sheath. I have been gently cleaning, but he really is bugged. To the point where he goes all three legged and sticks his nose out in relief. I am not too worried about him falling on me, but it’s a weird pose with his leg up like dog getting that good spot scratched.

As an aside our Shopko is going out of biz and had a screaming deal on astroglide silicon gel, which seems to break things up very well, but I worry that he’s so bugged by his sheath.

No bean issue, but very dry. After the cleaning I made sure all the lube was off, because as soon as I was done I started to wonder if I used something wrong.

Ok, so does he need a supplement? More vitamin E? He gets cool calories and LMF Super Supplement. Plus a bit of beet pulp.
They soak everything bc of his dental issue (EOTRH...which it doing well bc I wipe his upper teeth all the time)

Anyhow. Anyone have this issue? Tips? Ideas?
Thanks

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Sheath issue

Postby Chisamba » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:14 am

I have found flax really helps skin issues if you think its skin related

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:57 am

I've used coconut oil. The kind for eating/cooking that comes in a jar. I apply to the sheath for cleaning to loosen and soften crusty skin. Smells nice and no irritation to the skin since it is edible.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:20 pm

Josette wrote:I've used coconut oil. The kind for eating/cooking that comes in a jar. I apply to the sheath for cleaning to loosen and soften crusty skin. Smells nice and no irritation to the skin since it is edible.

You can get liquid coconut oil in a squirt bottle too. I use it on my horses' tails as part of their beauty regimen.

Does he seem itchy? I had some luck on two occasions last year with feeding spirulina. First horse broke out in hives and looked terrible, but didn't seem bothered, second horse was about to rub her mane and tail out. A little spirulina (like 1.5 T?) in the grain helped both out quite a bit. Found it cheapest at nuts.com. Now I keep a pound of it on hand in case of another itchy/allergic horse. In fact, now that I'm typing this, I might start giving it to Annabelle since she has started her cycle of what seems to be seasonal allergies.
Keep calm and canter on.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri May 17, 2019 5:06 pm

I just use baby oil, and I don't rinse it off unless the ground is very dusty. Farrier always comments on my horse's shiny clean junk :oops:

blob

Postby blob » Fri May 17, 2019 7:55 pm

Xanthoria wrote:I just use baby oil, and I don't rinse it off unless the ground is very dusty. Farrier always comments on my horse's shiny clean junk :oops:

LOL!!

But seriously, I know lot of folks who have had success with squirting oil of some kind on the junk to keep it lubricated. That can help with some self cleaning and also keep things from getting too dry and crusty.

I will say that if you go with baby oil, make sure to get unscented....some horses are apparently more sensitive than babies. Go figure.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 pm

Truth. More sensitive than babies!

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Mon May 27, 2019 7:14 pm

Benatus,

Thank you for voicing what MY horse is doing!

You are not alone ... and I am reading the replies with great interest. I am going to try the coconut oil suggestion.

Nancy

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue May 28, 2019 2:18 am

How old is he?

My gelding loved getting his sheath cleaned! It was almost embarrassing :x as he got older I did notice a bit more white debris attached, almost like flaky skin, it looked like his penis was shedding. Never seemed to bother him so I just picked it off :roll:

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Tue May 28, 2019 10:05 am

I believe Benatus’ horse is 17. Mine is 24. And yes, it looks like flakey, dried skin, Hayburner. No farrier compliments for us!!

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Reaction to coconut oil. Vet suggested mineral oil. Shall report in due course.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:14 pm

wow - I thought the coconut oil would be such a mild product. Let us know how the mineral oil works on him. Always good to know of other options.

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:05 pm

MMMMmmmm......perhaps I will text the coconut oil on a different part of my guys body before I put it on their sheaths. Thanks for letting us know you guy had a reaction I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Like Josette I would just think it would be so mild.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:07 am

Reporting back. I bought and applied light mineral oil (apparently, there is a "heavy" version) - seems to be doing the trick without ummmm inflaming anything. So, I am now seeing if my farrier will finally give US compliments on the shiny, young-looking ummmmm "stick"!!

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”