PRP or ProStride

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

PRP or ProStride

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:44 pm

Annabelle is still lame after 2 weeks stall rest, using Surpass the first week. We have an appointment tomorrow to treat the DDFT strain (not tear, at least).

Does anyone have experience? Did you have to do multiple treatments, and what was the outcome? I read that it is generally not effective 3-6 months post-injury. The original injury was 8 months ago, but it seems the reinjury would provide another opening for treatment efficacy.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Re: PRP or ProStride

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:40 pm

I guess no one is "lucky" enough to have experience with this?

So this morning, vet confirmed that she was still lame, still diffuse swelling around the injured area. Ultrasounded and saw slight healing as compared to two weeks ago, but disorganized cells, which she said were indicative of new scar tissue, so this was probably an entirely new injury, not flare-up of something she did last fall. This is actually a good thing, because it gives the ProStride a better chance to work. She drew blood using sterile technique, and processed it for 15 minutes while pinpointing the correct injection location via ultrasound. Annabelle had dorm, plus banamine, and a local block on the leg for the injection process. She has a sterile wrap, which will come off tomorrow, then we hand walk as much as I can manage (vet said 5x a day, LOL) for the next month. She felt confident that we can resume the rehab process at that point, and that this should cut it down from a 6 month to 3-month recovery, and have more elastic, tendon-like tissue in the DDFT instead of disorganized, stiff scar tissue. It was not cheap, so I'm thankful that the injury is minor enough not to need multiple treatments.

So back into the pit of eternal despair we go. Jingles for actually climbing back out of it towards the end of July. At the rate we're going, Annabelle will go an entire year without any turnout, poor thing. :(
Keep calm and canter on.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:05 am

Ugh, jingles that the treatment works wonders so you finally can emerge from the pit of eternal despair!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:00 pm

My middle aged gelding had ProStride for an inflammed stifle joint. We did a slow rehab and he healed nicely and is back to competing with his para rider.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:55 pm

Thank you Canyon. Goldhorse, good to hear that it worked for your guy. Pulled the wrap and hand walked this morning, and the tendon already seemed a little tighter, though that may have just been the bandage that was on for about 20 hours.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:12 pm

SF sorry late coming to this topic. I had IRAP done on my older mare over a year ago. She has bilateral OCD in her stifles that was aggravated after being up for 10 months after foundering from dex. She is sound now, though has not been worked due to lack of time on my part and is 24 this year. We did 3 injections.

I hope Annabelle responds positively to the treatment and you can resume her work reintroduction soon.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:37 am

Thanks khall. I could see a reduction in the diffuse swelling within 48 hours, and it has continued to improve, so I'm optimistic that we'll be back on the rehab train mid July as predicted by the vet.

Meanwhile, Tesla is more sore than we would like 4 weeks out from her OCD surgery, so she got PRP in her coffin joint yesterday, which was a little less involved and cheaper than the prostride. Too soon to tell if it will make any difference, of course.

Yes, my bank account is screaming.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”