Ulcers - (Attn: Blob)

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Ulcers - (Attn: Blob)

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:07 pm

I'm putting this here rather than take a goals thread off course. What prompted me to write this was Blob's comment about RP.

I have a good friend that imported a horse this year. He started having some issues that clearly indicated there was something going on with his gut. He would stop a lot and try to do manure. The manure was soft, so it's not like he was constipated.

Long story short, she had him scoped. His ulcers were in the lower part of the stomach and they also think he has colon ulcers. Neither of these are treated with gastroguard. In fact, gastroguard is contraindicated. They diagnosed the colon ulcers because the combined stool & blood test for protein concentration came back very high which is indicative of colonic ulceration. The scope showed active bleeding duodenal ulceration.
He has been put on Misoprostolol in combo with Sulcrafate.

The prognosis for curing these types of ulcers is not great.

Anyway, this may be what is bother RP and could explain some of his previous behavior issues.

blob

Re: Ulcers - (Attn: Blob)

Postby blob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks, MC!

RP is actually already on sulcrafate. He's done about 3 weeks of it so far. We started him on it because he had a longer than normal omneprozole treatment for stomach ulcers. But wanted to make sure fixing one problem hadn't created a hindgut ulcers.

I'm actually almost wondering if it is the sulcrafate that is making him a bit gassy. Though that seems weird.

I'm also wondering if I should take him off all his supplements and see how he does/responds. Right now I'm not sure if he's missing something he needs or getting something that doesn't agree with him.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:42 pm

I was given a lovely 11 yr old Oldenburg gelding in Jan. He has never felt well, it was clear...he was super neurotic, anxious, aggressive, thin. He has been on gastrogard since Jan; if I stopped he wouldnt eat. He has gained a lot of weight and is calmer but still not right. Have had him on Succeed also. He scopes good for ESGS but baaaad for EGGUS. Hope the Miso and Sucralfate helps. I also worry that he has some underlying issue that is behind them...he reminds me of the two ESPA horses I had. If the ulcers dont clear up we will do the nucchal ligament biopsy. Its so sad cause he is really beautiful, talented, a crazy beautiful mover.

Keep us posted Blob!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:55 pm

sorry Abby :(

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:28 pm

Thanks, Rye.

Yes, he is a sad one >;-/ I met him a couple of years ago and really liked him and he did not behave this way...although he has a history of lameness issues and past anxiety issues. We shall see >;-/

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”