Slobbers (I think?)

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Slobbers (I think?)

Postby musical comedy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:58 pm

So yesterday evening I see some wet on the floor in a couple places that puzzled me.
Again this morning I saw it, it was a tiny puddle in a couple places. I noticed a bit of foam.
My first thought was maybe the old guy had a loose tooth, as I have experienced foaming before with dental issues.

I tacked up my mare to ride, took her in the ring, and then noticed her drooling. It was her making the wet spots.
My heart sank as to what could it be. Instead of riding, I took her back to the barn, and googled. Slobbers? Then I texted my vet and he said it is highly likely that is what it is and not to worry.

So...I tacked her back up and rode. She was good. Now I guess I'll just monitor this situation. Old guy is not having any problems.

I just fall apart at the slightest little horse issue.

blob

Re: Slobbers (I think?)

Postby blob » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:01 pm

Did you recently get a new shipment of hay? Slobbers is usually harmless, but it is also usually caused by something the horse is eating. Some alfalfa and clover are often culprits.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:08 pm

My neighbor's minis are drooling like mad, and have been for several weeks now. They're dieting though, so are eating the white clover in their very small pasture.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:18 pm

No new hay. No new anything. They do go out at night, but I don't have any red or white clover. My vet says he's seeing a lot of it lately. We're having a bit of a drought here, and from what I read that affects the grass somehow.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:25 pm

Nettles will make them slobber and they seem to love eating them...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:27 pm

Slaframine grows on any legumes, clover is most commonly the cuprit, some horses love it and so get excessive slobbers every year, the only problem i ever saw from it was dehydration from a mare that really ate a lot of it, so long if they slobber excessively i do give an electrolyte supplement to both encourage drinking and proper balance of minerals to avoid problems. the mare that dehydrated also got a bit of colic from the lack of hydration, so i watch for both

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:37 pm

Abby Kogler wrote:Nettles will make them slobber and they seem to love eating them...
Aaah, my hay does have a bit of horse nettle in it. Extreme little, but that could be the culprit. It's difficult here in NJ to find 2nd-3rd cut hay that doesn't have some undesirables in it. Farmers can't kill the stuff off without jeopardizing other things. Being that there has been no change in my pastures for 30 years and I had a number of different horses on it with no slobbers, I have to wonder.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:42 pm

My old gelding got them at certain times of the year. Usually in a day or two they would gpbe gone. New mare also gets them and some times her teets swell. It's usually clover or some other weed related. My mare had them last month for only 2 days.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:05 pm

I had to google slobbers.. I've never heard of it!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:56 pm

Ugh hate it/ Should be harmess but watch for other conditions that can cause a reaction (breakouts of blisters on the muzzle, photo-sensitivity)

MAKE SURE THE HORSE ISN"T GETTING DEHYDRATED. at my old barn I dealt with this for 6 months due to clover in the pasture. ugh

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:24 pm

It lasted just a day and one half, thank goodness.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”