Gel Dormosedan

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Gel Dormosedan

Postby PaulaO » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:34 pm

I'm considering giving Ariel this for her next farrier visit. Miss A. is not the best patient when it comes to shots so I figured sticking the gel under her tongue would be easier than an IM shot. Of course I will discuss with my vet. Any input as to this vs. Ace?

tlkidding
Herd Member

Re: Gel Dormosedan

Postby tlkidding » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:42 pm

I was going to mention on your other thread that I'd probably recommend Dorm gel over Ace for a farrier visit. My understanding is it's very easy for a horse to blow through even IV Ace and their startle reaction can be pretty big on Ace.

Dorm gel is what I'm using when my new 2 year old has a farrier appointment. Once he's more dependable, I'll stop using it. I've also used it for body clipping.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:48 pm

I used it many times on my mare for the farrier. It works very well, you just have to be sure to get it under the tongue so it enters the bloodstream. We also used it a couple of times when she came back to be ridden after 8 months of stall rest.

She finally got over the smoke from the hot shoeing and now doesn't need to be drugged. I think it's safer than Ace from what I have heard sometimes they can have a violent reaction with Ace.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:51 am

I’ve had 2 people say to put it on the gums?

blob

Postby blob » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:41 pm

Under tongue and on gums are both equally absorbent. But gel that thick is harder to get on gums without also getting it on the top of the tongue, which means it'll be swallowed instead of absorbed, or without getting much of it on the floor

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:01 pm

In my experience if you dont gernot under the tongue the horse licks it off and its worthless. Under the tongue even though the horse licks and swallows it is more likely to be absorbed.

Just remember swallowed = zero effect.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:26 pm

My vet also warned me not to accidentally dose myself with it. She said to put it between the gums and the tongue, but maybe under the tongue might make it harder for them to swallow it?

Kirby's Keeper
Novice

Postby Kirby's Keeper » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:01 pm

Under tongue and 30 to 45 minutes before farrier arrives to allow it to take full effect. Used to have to do this to Kirby for his vet phobia. Grab the tongue with one hand and squirt the gel under it with the other. Works a treat!
Proud member of the Ilks Club ;)

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:54 am

Oral dorm gel has to be squirted under the tongue to work. It is very potent and if I were you I would not use it for a farrier appt.
My horse gets very, very sedated and I would be concerned for your farrier being under the horse. I have to use it on my guy when
there are fireworks going off. In addition, you must, must, must wear gloves when administering it as Dorm can cause cardiac arrhythmia in humans if even a tiny bit of it gets on your bare skin.

I would speak to your vet and farrier and ask them what they recommend.

Kirby's Keeper
Novice

Postby Kirby's Keeper » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:47 pm

I should have added that you probably want to use a half tube. With a full tube we could do Kirby's teeth no issue. Half tube he was quiet but not wobbly.
Proud member of the Ilks Club ;)

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”