Feeding adjustments: no more alfalfa

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Feeding adjustments: no more alfalfa

Postby blob » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:49 pm

The barn I have my two is going to stop feeding alfalfa. Horses will still have free choice grass hay and get lots of turnout with grass.

Both of mine currently get alfalfa. MM could probably be ok without, though I think she will miss it. However, I've been using alfalfa for RP as a way to help him get his calories since he's on limited grain.

I'm debating getting alfalfa pellets. I've never used them before and was curious what others thought of adding alfalfa pellets, versus another option such as upping his grain? Buying the pellets will be kind of a pain for me--i'd have to bag his grain and buy the pellets myself, but i'm happy to do that if that's the better choice than upping grain to make up for lost calories.

Hayburner

Re: Feeding adjustments: no more alfalfa

Postby Hayburner » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:20 pm

Sorry I don't have the answer, but won't grass turnout help keep or put weight on?

Or do you also use the alfalfa for energy?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:07 pm

Does your barn feed rice bran pellets or oats? Both add calories without adding energy. Something that they will feed without you needing to intervene would be my first choice.

Maia gets 3 cups of rice bran pellets at each meal on top of a quart of strategy. I do buy the rice bran separate from the grain (only grain and hay are included in board — we provide anything supplemental), but barn owner keeps it with her grain and scoops with each meal.

Bagging feed would be my absolute last choice. I bagged Anzia's feed for about 10 years — until the current AWESOME barn — and while it was simple, it was also a major pain in the ass. I'd get calls "Anzia's out of grain." Umm, no, I just filled up her cans. "Oh, you did?" Yes. Did you bother to look in the past 24 hours before calling me?! For that matter, did you feed breakfast??? :?

As for alfalfa pellets, I've used them for my oldster, and another horse. They work great. Just add a scoop to each meal. For the oldsters, I soak, but horses who don't choke and drink a healthy amount of water eat pelleted hay just fine dry.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:14 pm

Hayburner wrote:Sorry I don't have the answer, but won't grass turnout help keep or put weight on?

Or do you also use the alfalfa for energy?

For MM, I definitely use it for energy :lol:

With RP, it's mostly about weight--but we have grass turnout year round, so that won't be making up for the calories lost from the removal of alfalfa

heddylamar wrote:Does your barn feed rice bran pellets or oats? Both add calories without adding energy. Something that they will feed without you needing to intervene would be my first choice.

Unless you buy and bag yourself, the barn options are Nutrena Safe Choice or Nutrena Pro-force Fuel. RP currently doesn't get any supplements so I could add a fat source instead of alfalfa pellets.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:26 pm

blob wrote:Unless you buy and bag yourself, the barn options are Nutrena Safe Choice or Nutrena Pro-force Fuel. RP currently doesn't get any supplements so I could add a fat source instead of alfalfa pellets.

Got it. In that case, I'd go with the alfalfa pellets since he's already used to alfalfa. Both alfalfa and rice bran are pretty equivalent in terms of weight gain per the information I received from UC Davis and NC State (we have that problem too ...).

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:41 pm

What about flax? I have found flax to be amazing at keeping weight on as well as great for the coat and feet, and it's very cost effecttive.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:32 am

I use alfalfa pellets for several horses for several reasons. they work fine

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:01 pm

Mine also get alfalfa pellets for multiple reasons. They keep easily (even in extreme heat) and work well. I soak mine but that's because I use them as a vehicle for all the other supplements I hide in them (mostly for the stinker pony); but, they also serve as a great source of energy for those in work. In this arid climate I have to make sure mine are on at least some alfalfa to help with the electrolyte issues that can arise. I personally prefer the pellets to the cubes, ease of storage and use. Mine are on grass hay 24/7 so they get plenty of large stem roughage for their teeth and gut.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:02 am

I use both alf pellets and cubes I soak the cubes but not the pellets - they get dumped on top with whatever supplements and a little bit of grain. . THey make up the bulk of my horses' diets, along with a balancer or equalizer. The mini gets balance- she doesnt need calories. The others get equalizer, which has not only the vit/minerals but also fat calories.

So perhaps you could feed pellets and an equalizer for the calories.... I use the Seminole product but I know there are others.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:26 pm

for those that feed/have fed alfalfa pellets--how much did you feed? Or what system did you use to figure out how much to feed?

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:55 pm

I feed by weight, both in hay and pellets. I measure pelleted feed in coffee cans. For each different food I measure a can of the feed and dump it into a plastic bag that I take to the grocery store and weigh on the produce scales. Then I have my list of One Coffee Can of X pellets equals .... pounds. When I change or add a food I just follow this procedure and keep my list current. For amounts to feed, I feed 2% of horses weight and then adjust as needed based on body condition, age, season, and exercise. Example: older horses get more alfalfa, ulcer prone, get some alfalfa, fat horses get grass hay and a ration balancer etc. Fat horse may only get 1.5% of their weight. It’s very straight forward once you have a list and evaluate your horses condition regularly. Although some “high maintenance” horses need constant re-evaluation. (I’ve got one of these :D ).

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:06 pm

BTW to weigh hay I have a hanging scale with a hook in the barn and use canvas material things that look like firewood carriers. I sewed a hem through two ends and put dowels through them and attached cord. Then fill with hay and hang by cord from the scale hook to weigh each meal. Then tie cords together. Then the meal is ready to carry to the appropriate horse. Each horse also has their bucket with pellets, supplements etc.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:42 pm

Srhorselady wrote:I feed by weight, both in hay and pellets. I measure pelleted feed in coffee cans. For each different food I measure a can of the feed and dump it into a plastic bag that I take to the grocery store and weigh on the produce scales. Then I have my list of One Coffee Can of X pellets equals .... pounds. When I change or add a food I just follow this procedure and keep my list current. For amounts to feed, I feed 2% of horses weight and then adjust as needed based on body condition, age, season, and exercise. Example: older horses get more alfalfa, ulcer prone, get some alfalfa, fat horses get grass hay and a ration balancer etc. Fat horse may only get 1.5% of their weight. It’s very straight forward once you have a list and evaluate your horses condition regularly. Although some “high maintenance” horses need constant re-evaluation. (I’ve got one of these :D ).

Thanks, Srhorselady. Yes, we will be dosing by weight. I'm curious how pellets correspond to weight of hay. For example...my horse was getting 4lbs of alfalfa prior, so how does that convert to pellets from a caloric standpoint? He will still have free choice access to grass hay and 12 hours of pasture (so plenty of long stem forage).

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:16 pm

Sorry for misunderstanding! I have had discussions on this point with my Vet with no exact results. Basically one pound of hay equals one pound of hay whether in hay or pellet form. HOWEVER different pellet companies do use different binders, And many include molasses in their binders. (In my part of the country they even vary the amount of molasses in the binder on a seasonal basis). Obviously adding molasses adds calories. How much who knows? I have insulin resistant horses so I use the Mountain Sunrise brand pellets out of Colorado who use no molasses in their binder. (Actually I don’t think they use a binder.) Pellets May be more likely to crumble with no binder, though I haven’t noticed a problem. In addition there is less activity and time involved in chewing pellets than in hay so fewer calories are expended in eating pellets. As a result a horse eating the same amount of hay in pelleted form is more likely to gain more weight than on hay. How much? Who knows?

blob

Postby blob » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:24 pm

ah--that is very helpful to know! Thank you!!

Also, helpful about the molasses binder--mine aren't IR, but they're the type more prone to it (mustang and a welsh), so I try to limit NSC whereever I can. So, i'll try to find a version with little or no molasses.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:20 pm

I used to feed Mountain Sunrise for the same reason, no molasses as their binder; however, after having their bags run out and their infrequent but unplanned shut downs over the years I was happy to find two other brands (one local and one national) that don't carry molasses in their pelleted hays/alfalfa. I think we'll continue to see more feed companies offer similar options; but, definitely check the bag to see what they include in their mill runs.

Owner of a mustang and two Welsh ;)

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:07 pm

I believe TSC's Dumor brand of alf pellets has no molasses or binders, but check to see if that's correct.

I feed Dumor's bermuda/alfalfa cubes (completely soaked) to my dentally-challenged oldster to help with his longer-stemmed forage needs.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Tue May 12, 2020 2:01 am

SInce my guys are out on grass 24/7, and even in winter we have SOME grass, I don't measure the cubes or pellets by weight. Two double handfuls of cubes, and two big handfuls of the chopped hay "forage feed" that Seminole makes. All that gets soaked. Then I add a 20oz glass measure of pellets - Seminole has an orchard grass pellet that has apples in it!! amazing smells wonderful....

And yes in winter I feed flakes of hay in the field or have a compressed bale out under the run in shed. THis year winter was so mild we never lost the green grass (and yes I know the nutrition was down in it due to the winter - my guys are fat even coming out of winter).

blob

Postby blob » Tue May 12, 2020 12:31 pm

I started RP on alfalfa pellets last week. I got the seminole brand, which is molasses free and the bag I got was very dust free. I only got one bag to start to make sure he ate it, it agreed with his system, etc.

He seems quite happy to eat it. Right now he's getting 2lbs (1lb at each feeding), but we're working up to 4lbs and see how he does with that and adjust from there.

MM also really likes them, so i've been giving her half a scoop or so as a snack before riding. I might add them as part of her regular feed rotation as well.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Fri May 15, 2020 10:41 pm

blob wrote:I started RP on alfalfa pellets last week. I got the seminole brand, which is molasses free and the bag I got was very dust free. I only got one bag to start to make sure he ate it, it agreed with his system, etc.

He seems quite happy to eat it. Right now he's getting 2lbs (1lb at each feeding), but we're working up to 4lbs and see how he does with that and adjust from there.

MM also really likes them, so i've been giving her half a scoop or so as a snack before riding. I might add them as part of her regular feed rotation as well.

If they like the alf pellets, try the orchard/apple pellets. Not sure if they ahve more sugar, but my guys really like them.....
I tried another brand and it was really dusty. SO, back to Seminole.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”