Senior horse nutrition

westisbest
Herd Member

Senior horse nutrition

Postby westisbest » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:07 am

Hi, can someone point me to some good info on feeding the senior horse ? 27 yr mid Hanoverian in low level work. He’s suddenly started dropping weight. Dental blood work all up to date he’s lost 1 molar pre molars are at gum line, getting presently 1.5 scoop senior 16% CF 2 scoops BP in am soaked alfalfa am pm free choice grass hay. Not eating all his hay,

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Senior horse nutrition

Postby blob » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:51 am

When you say not eating all his hay do you mean the soaked alfalfa? or the free choice grass hay? If the former, how much alfalfa is he getting and how much is he eating?

Is the soaked alfalfa long stem hay or cubes?

What senior feed is he on?

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:36 am

I put my dentally challenged seniors on as much pelleted complete feed as they need to maintain their weight, and then give them some access to hay. The reason I don't do it the other way around (top up free choice hay with pelleted complete feed) is that I'm not sure how much fiber they get from quidded hay, and would rather make sure they get enough fiber from the pelleted complete feed first, and then let them chew on some hay.

I have a copd, tooth challenged senior now who is doing well on grass in the summer and an ordinary pelleted complete feed in the winter.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:59 pm

Has he been checked for PPID?

I am a big believer in added fat and added alfalfa to a senior feed. My choice is Triple Crown Senior. I use Cool Calories for fat simply because oil goes rancid in the heat here in Georgia. Added alfalfa can be soaked cubes, pellets or actual hay.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:47 pm

blob wrote:When you say not eating all his hay do you mean the soaked alfalfa? or the free choice grass hay? If the former, how much alfalfa is he getting and how much is he eating?

No the regular grass hay round bales the whole barn of outside horses are on.
He loves alfalfa eats it all just found out he’s getting a scoop of soaked pellets in am, I give soaked cubes days I’m allowed in about 4 x week.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:51 pm

blob wrote:When you say not eating all his hay do you mean the soaked alfalfa? or the free choice grass hay? If the former, how much alfalfa is he getting and how much is he eating?

No the regular grass hay round bales the whole barn of outside horses are on.
He loves alfalfa eats it all just found out he’s getting a scoop of soaked pellets in am, I give soaked cubes days I’m allowed in about 4 x week.
khall wrote:Has he been checked for PPID?

Don’t know what that is, he just had a full blood panel, no sign of Cushings he was blood tested for it 2 yrs ago and was in normal range.

I think fat also. Maybe I’ll start adding canola oil. I give a senior feed locally milled 16% protein , low NSC

I am a big believer in added fat and added alfalfa to a senior feed. My choice is Triple Crown Senior. I use Cool Calories for fat simply because oil goes rancid in the heat here in Georgia. Added alfalfa can be soaked cubes, pellets or actual hay.
Last edited by westisbest on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Look at the manufacturer's feeding recommendations (on the feed sack) for your horse's weight and work situation. If he's getting the suggested amount of feed (weight, not volume), you might even consider splitting that into an a.m. meal and a p.m. meal instead of one large grain meal. Another thought: have a fecal run on him to rule out intestinal parasites.

I've managed to get my dentally-challenged, retired 29 y.o. up to a nice body condition by adding (in addition to his standard 2 grain feedings): a nighttime meal (+/- 7 p.m.) and a night check meal (10 p.m.), both consisting of just soaked hay cubes (bermuda + alfalfa combo). The bermuda gives him some long stem hay that he often has trouble eating, but I think the key was the alfalfa part.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:29 am

texsuze wrote:Look at the manufacturer's feeding recommendations (on the feed sack) for your horse's weight and work situation. If he's getting the suggested amount of feed (weight, not volume), you might even consider splitting that into an a.m. meal and a p.m. meal instead of one large grain meal. Another thought: have a fecal run on him to rule out intestinal parasites.

I've managed to get my dentally-challenged, retired 29 y.o. up to a nice body condition by adding (in addition to his standard 2 grain feedings): a nighttime meal (+/- 7 p.m.) and a night check meal (10 p.m.), both consisting of just soaked hay cubes (bermuda + alfalfa combo). The bermuda gives him some long stem hay that he often has trouble eating, but I think the key was the alfalfa part.

Unfortunately there’s no one to feed at night private barn only coach and one staff during day. And currently I’m on limited sched visits which are am.

Thx so much everyone all good suggestions. I’ve upped his CF to 2 scoops in am. Also he’s getting dewormed this week hasn’t been done since last fall. So today he didn’t look as thin. I may seriously be losing brain cells due to stress. If I can remember how to download I’ll put up a pic. On we go old 27 yr old big guy and 72 yr old me 8-) being encouraged to do a century ride next year. If we both live that long.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:52 am

Here’s a pic from Monday
He’s always had well sprung ribs it’s his top line and shoulder area I’m concerned about. We’ve both slacked off all winter tho.

[url][URL=https://s972.photobucket.com/user/kdescossa/media/Mobile%20Uploads/E35E46E5-F74F-4A7F-96E9-E13DEE36219E_zps0a0v35oe.jpeg.html]Image[/url][/url]

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:57 am

And couple weeks ago pre clip [url][URL=https://s972.photobucket.com/user/kdescossa/media/Mobile%20Uploads/7E495A49-F03A-46EE-849D-6E0E0535F0E0_zpsoz3uklry.jpeg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:43 am

My two seniors get the total daily nutrients from senior feed and soaked Timothy alfalfa blend. I do not believe either of them get any nutrition from the grass hay anymore.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:23 am

Is your guy leaving hay cigars on the ground? Or, just not eating it?

My 35+yo was on soaked senior feed plus bran mash (2/day), soaked Timothy pellets (2-3x/day), free choice chopped orchard/Timothy cubes (she refused all things alfalfa). She was super finicky, and would refuse chopped hay (or soaked pellets) for weeks, but, since she'd still eat one or the other, I never had to resort to rice oil or rice bran. That kept her in decent weight for ~5 years.

Mom's gelding was much the same way, but he ate alfalfa :shock: and needed tons of rice bran to maintain a semi-decent weight.

Backyarder
Novice

Postby Backyarder » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:59 pm

He looks great for his age.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:36 am

Backyarder wrote:He looks great for his age.

Thx! He’s done really well this summer. Lives on a dry well weedy some grass paddock but lots of hand grazing. Upped his CF and alfalfa pellets daily, fee choice nice grass hay, oats on the work days. Weight is perfect now. Slow and careful work load has paid off, going well at all gaits. Ageing rider not so great lol.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:56 am

Today

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Your guy looks great for his age and the fact that you able to get some riding with him. That is WONDERFUL! I'm struggling with soundness issues and it is frustrating and depressing as an older horse and rider. I'm not ready to stop riding yet.

Backyarder
Novice

Postby Backyarder » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:29 pm

This is my Thoroughbred at 27, she has not been ridden since age 22..she was stumbling a lot and not interested in work any more. She has lost her muscle , no topline left , but all in all she's doing well on alfalfa pellets and Purina Honesty, lots of hay and grazing.
Attachments
roxy def dress.jpg
roxy def dress.jpg (130.65 KiB) Viewed 7648 times

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”