Still Itchy

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Still Itchy

Postby Hayburner » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:15 pm

My poor mare is still quite itchy! This started at the end of July.

Tried Benidryl, hyroxyzine and now switched to Zertec.

Also purchased medicated shampoos and sprays by Equishield IBH added Spirulina to her feed and yet she's still itchy!

Since I thought it was bug related, I thought or prayed that since they are no longer going out at night this itching would stop! Nope, even switched to Ecovet fly spray which is supposed to be very good for sweet itch, which Im not convinced she has. The vet said she has seem so many horses this year that are suffering with the itchies!

I'd like to add flax, but she won't eat the powders and I'm worried the oil (Santa Cruz) might put weight on her.

She's really not a candidate for steroids as agreeded by the vet as she is a bit plump and her bred is predisposed to laminitis.

Any other suggestions? Bathing season is a bit done here as it's getting too cold, even during the day.

exvet

Re: Still Itchy

Postby exvet » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:26 pm

I use flax see oil capsules for my horses. Everyone eats them just fine when mixed with their ration balancer. I also use Animed's and Platinum Performance's skin and allergy relief supplements for the stinker pony and MSM. It's the whole mix that seems to have helped the most for my allergy king. I will say if I had to go down to one supplement, the platinum performance skin and allergy powder seems to make the most difference but I get more efficacy by mixing all of the aforementioned. The stinker pony has both skin allergies and heaves.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:25 am

At the risk of being a very annoying broken record. I'm going to once again recommend the boett sweet itch blanket. It is the ONLY thing that has worked for MM who usually spends most of the year incredibly itchy and miserable. She does not get fungus or anything like that--just hives on her shoulders and is full itch. I have tried every feed through out there and only marginal differences at best. I also had tried other fly sheets with no real difference and so when people recommended Boett to me, I kept ignoring them thinking it wouldn't work for her. After all, I'd tried other versions of the same thing! Gosh, I wish I'd tried it sooner. It has been a miracle honestly and MM has had the best summer she's ever had--no itchiness at all.

I know you mentioned that your barn might not like taking it on and off. But it's meant to be kept on at ALL times except when riding. If i left it off even for a few hours after my ride, i'd notice the hives starting to come back in. But not while the blanket was on, that thing is like magic bubble wrap.

Anyway, I'm done being annoying for now. But seriously. Try it.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:38 pm

Exvet, thank you for the reply and suggestions. I was comparing the PP and the Equishield SA. The Equishield has a higher level of Quercetin 300mg vrs PP 105mg. Which isn't the Quercetin a natural antihistamine ? So it might give more relief than the PP?

The Equishield also has Vit E, MSM, flax, rice bran, HA. It doesn't have the Thymus Protein which is for boosting the immune system.

I'm torn between the two products.

Would I need to take her off the Hydroxyline since Quercetin is also an antihistamine? I don't want to over dose her ! Lol

Where do you get the flax seed oil capsules? And how much do you give?

Blob, LOL you are not sounding like a broken record! I appreciate your input on the blanket. What is it about this blanket that makes it work for relieving the itching? I checked their website and it didn't give much detail on why it works. They did say it is quite breathable and it would have to be as my mare runs very hot.

We went back to the hydroxyzine today as after almost 2 weeks on vets suggested switch to Zertec she's worse! The next step will be allergy testing. I feel so bad for her, lucky she hasn't rubbed out her mane or tail.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:04 pm

Flax Seed Oil Capsules - Costco, especially when they go on sale for $ 5 off per bottle.

Not overdosing on the antihistamine - I would take her off as you start whichever product you settle on. You can always re-institute it if you need to but I would do so cautiously.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:09 pm

Exvet, that's kind of what I am afraid of, taking her off prescription strength hydroxyzine for a supplement that may not be as effective.

Antihistamine wise, the Equishield would be stronger. Since my vet suggested the Equishield shampoo and spray I'll contact her for her opinion.

I will add flax to improve her coat and as an anti-inflammatory.

I hate seeing her like this and I am not riding her as I know she's miserable.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:16 pm

Hayburner wrote:
Blob, LOL you are not sounding like a broken record! I appreciate your input on the blanket. What is it about this blanket that makes it work for relieving the itching? I checked their website and it didn't give much detail on why it works. They did say it is quite breathable and it would have to be as my mare runs very hot.

I'm honestly not sure what specifically relieves the itching other than the fact that the way it wraps around and holds snug keeps all external allergens off. Honestly, I didn't think that would work for MM much especially since her itchiness seemed to be systemic/internal and because i'd tried other sheets designed to keep off allergens. But a few people (my barn owner and Chisamba among others) kept saying 'get the boett, get the boett' and finally I did because I figured if nothing else it would be a barrier between her skin and the trees/stall corners/etc that she itches against. But, it's done so so so much more than be a barrier. It's stopped her itchiness in a way that I didn't think was possible. I really thought the best I would be able to do for her was reduce the itchiness since like you, I didn't want to do dex regularly (with her it would have been over several weeks she'd need a new dose). So, all this to say is that I don't know how or why this sheet is light years above any other. But it really is. I'm only annoyed with myself that I didn't get it sooner.

Even in high GA heat, MM stayed relatively cool in the sheet. She is a big sweater and is often sweaty just standing around in the summer (sheet or no sheet), but she always felt cool to the touch under the sheet. I got the light gray color, thinking the lighter color would be better for heat purposes. I'm thinking by late october/november I can probably take the sheet off and let her be naked for a few months before starting it back up in feb/march.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:55 pm

The main goals to treating allergies are to keep the exposure to allergens as low as possible and/or manage the immune response to the allergens. Just wiping down dogs' feet and body after a walk outside for those allergic to environmental allergens helps (often not enough all on its own but has been proven to help); so, I can see why the boett helps.

Pippigirl
Greenie

Postby Pippigirl » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:07 pm

blob wrote:At the risk of being a very annoying broken record. I'm going to once again recommend the boett sweet itch blanket. It is the ONLY thing that has worked for MM who usually spends most of the year incredibly itchy and miserable. She does not get fungus or anything like that--just hives on her shoulders and is full itch. I have tried every feed through out there and only marginal differences at best. I also had tried other fly sheets with no real difference and so when people recommended Boett to me, I kept ignoring them thinking it wouldn't work for her. After all, I'd tried other versions of the same thing! Gosh, I wish I'd tried it sooner. It has been a miracle honestly and MM has had the best summer she's ever had--no itchiness at all.

I know you mentioned that your barn might not like taking it on and off. But it's meant to be kept on at ALL times except when riding. If i left it off even for a few hours after my ride, i'd notice the hives starting to come back in. But not while the blanket was on, that thing is like magic bubble wrap.

I'm glad you took the risk :lol: I've never heard of a sweet itch blanket. Is it fairly durable?

blob

Postby blob » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:04 am

Pippigirl wrote:
blob wrote:At the risk of being a very annoying broken record. I'm going to once again recommend the boett sweet itch blanket. It is the ONLY thing that has worked for MM who usually spends most of the year incredibly itchy and miserable. She does not get fungus or anything like that--just hives on her shoulders and is full itch. I have tried every feed through out there and only marginal differences at best. I also had tried other fly sheets with no real difference and so when people recommended Boett to me, I kept ignoring them thinking it wouldn't work for her. After all, I'd tried other versions of the same thing! Gosh, I wish I'd tried it sooner. It has been a miracle honestly and MM has had the best summer she's ever had--no itchiness at all.

I'm glad you took the risk :lol: I've never heard of a sweet itch blanket. Is it fairly durable?

It is! My horse lived in pretty much 24/7 all spring and summer this year. It comes with some extra material in case you need to patch it. I did find that it would get a bit stinky if i hosed off my horse and then threw it back on without letting her dry first. So I also washed it several times in the summer and it held up to the washing as well!

https://www.boettusa.com/

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”