Laser removal of "eyeball" cyst: so far so good....

texsuze
500 post plus club

Laser removal of "eyeball" cyst: so far so good....

Postby texsuze » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:48 pm

Here I am once again, posting on the Vet forum :roll: During a post-squamous cell check up by the eye vet (back in April), the vet mentioned a cyst on my oldster gelding's "other" eye. In sunlight you can see it, pretty large, kind of oozing from the iris (?), but within the orbit. Vet said if/when the cyst seems to be affecting my gelding's vision or quality of life he can laser it off/out/away, no problem.

We have an appointment next week to have the laser procedure. My oldster has become headshy and often doesn't seem to notice me (until he's thoroughly surprised) on that side of his head. He also has the beginnings of a cataract--can't remember which eye... So, yes, time for the laser procedure while he can still make the 2-hr-each-way trip to the equine clinic. The vet sounded as if it is no big deal at all, but I wonder about his quality of vision once the cyst is gone.

Anyone had a similar procedure performed on their horse? Just getting some info to go on, if possible. Thanks!

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: Laser removal of "eyeball" cyst: so far so good....

Postby texsuze » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:55 pm

Back again! Hauled (warm sunny weather, no rain....) my oldster to the eyeball vet this week to have the cyst in his "good" eye, the non-squamous cell one, zapped. All went well. Vet said it may or may not help improve the visual issues he's having right now, but I'm glad it we did it. My oldster's cataract has grown slightly larger (?) since April so that may be impacting things too. Now, pain meds, eye drops, gastric support for several days and wait to see how he behaves.

The vet said the squamous cell eye looks clean and clear and very good, thank heavens! We are exactly 2 years out from the initial diagnosis on that one. Hopefully, no recurrence. This getting old ain't for sissies!

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby heddylamar » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:30 pm

Glad it went well!! Eyeball problems are so scary. Have you tried telling your oldster to lay off ophthalmologist visits for a while?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:29 am

glad it went well.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:03 pm

Glad it went well. Yes eye issues are very scary.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”