Body Clippers-What brand?

goldhorse
Herd Member

Body Clippers-What brand?

Postby goldhorse » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:35 pm

Ok, I am going to bite the bullet and buy some body clippers for my Morgan who insists on growing a yak coat even though he lives in California. And yes, every year I look at him and think he has Cushings and get him tested. And every year so far (knock on wood), he's normal. But he must think he lives in Wisconsin. :? Last year, I paid to have him clipped 3 times during the winter. Obviously that was more than a new pair of clippers. So suggestions for brands?

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: Body Clippers-What brand?

Postby Tanga » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:43 am

All three of mine think think live in Alaska this year. I really like my Andis. They don't seem to make the exact same one any more, but it is the horse and cattle body clipper.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:48 am

I found a deal on a barely used set of Oster Clipmasters last year. Tesla isn't super hairy, but they made quick work of her trace clip (overkill for a trace on a moderate coat, really), and would do a great job on a full clip, I'm sure.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:24 pm

I keep meaning to buy a set — Maia is a pain in the arse to clip, and I know body clippers will make quick work of it v. the hand-me-down corded human Osters I have for ears. Mom has a set of Andis I used for years, but now we're too far apart. They're simple and just keep plugging along after 30+ years. So I just ordered my own:

https://www.chewy.com/andis-super-2-spe ... keyword%7D

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:51 pm

I am having to bite that bullet as well. I just body clipped Junior for the second time this fall. Being a welsh cob, yak is in the genetic pool. I was getting rather frustrated because my clippers almost burned out this time and are showing their wear despite cleaning, greasing, etc. I then remembered that in the 22 years I've lived here (AZ), I've owned two sets of clippers, both Osters. I guess given the number of beasts I've owned and had to maintain for fall/winter showing the clippers have done okay standing the test of time. I'm leaning towards getting another set of Osters. I've had Andis in practice and haven't been overly impressed compared to the Osters; so, in addition to following this thread I guess it's time to do a little research and see if that's where I'm going to land.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:53 pm

heddylamar wrote:I keep meaning to buy a set — Maia is a pain in the arse to clip, and I know body clippers will make quick work of it v. the hand-me-down corded human Osters I have for ears. Mom has a set of Andis I used for years, but now we're too far apart. They're simple and just keep plugging along after 30+ years. So I just ordered my own:

How challenging is it to find/buy replacement clipper blades for these clippers? One reason I've stuck with the two speed Osters is that in a pinch I can purchase blades at almost any Petsmart or Livestock store. I can't say I've seen blades for this style of clipper in a store, or at least for quite some time.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:12 pm

This place gets high marks for blades from people on COTH. Maybe they have something.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/prem ... ?cat_id=36

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:56 pm

exvet wrote:
heddylamar wrote:I keep meaning to buy a set — Maia is a pain in the arse to clip, and I know body clippers will make quick work of it v. the hand-me-down corded human Osters I have for ears. Mom has a set of Andis I used for years, but now we're too far apart. They're simple and just keep plugging along after 30+ years. So I just ordered my own:

How challenging is it to find/buy replacement clipper blades for these clippers? One reason I've stuck with the two speed Osters is that in a pinch I can purchase blades at almost any Petsmart or Livestock store. I can't say I've seen blades for this style of clipper in a store, or at least for quite some time.

Those are my regular clippers (another bargain find) - the Oster A5 blades should fit them. I wouldn't want to do a full body clip with those, but they are pretty comparable to the Oster A5.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:06 pm

exvet wrote:How challenging is it to find/buy replacement clipper blades for these clippers? One reason I've stuck with the two speed Osters is that in a pinch I can purchase blades at almost any Petsmart or Livestock store. I can't say I've seen blades for this style of clipper in a store, or at least for quite some time.

Chewy, SmartPak, Tractor Supply, and Amazon all carry the blades. I wouldn't be surprised if my local farm store carries them too — they have a huge selection of blades.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:10 pm

StraightForward wrote:I wouldn't want to do a full body clip with those, but they are pretty comparable to the Oster A5.

I'm currently trace clipping with a pair of these Osters ... so the Andis are a HUGE improvement. I've body-clipped many times with Mom's older version. Fortunately, none of mine need that much hair removal!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:46 pm

goldhorse wrote:This place gets high marks for blades from people on COTH. Maybe they have something.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/prem ... ?cat_id=36

I use premier for my sheep supplies and my sheep shears from them have an interchangeable head for horses. they are a bit noisy. I also have Andis and a rechargeable

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:49 am

Well, Sir Yak Wannabe got a trace clip today from my friend. She used a pair of Oster A5 and a #10 wide blade. Even though her clippers were acting up, she did an admirable job through the double coat. I'm tempted to get those old massive black Osters that were what was used decades ago. But I fear that my arms would give out so I think I'll go with Lister Stars and make sure I have extra blades. I don't think a trace clip is going to be enough. And what to do with the hobbit legs? :lol: Does any one else have a horse that grows his own leg warmers? I have to get a picture of his legs. They are hilarious.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:52 am

OMG. I just looked at my older mare today. I need to do a 4th clip soon. It's bad. And I never clip legs and heads, and stop clipping the neck after the first clipping, so she in particular has massive hairy hobbit legs. I'll have to get a picture.

I have about six sets of blades for my big clippers, but only one works at all. I have a sharpener and tried sharpening them, but it didn't work. I don't think anyone sharpens them anymore. I ink you used to be able to buy titanium ones that lasted a long time, but I can't find them anymore.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:41 pm

Tanga, Premier will sharpen blades.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/resh ... ?cat_id=39
Also this place in Oakland might do it
https://www.theshavercutleryshop.com/
And it may be worth a call to Western Saddlery to find out if they know of someone.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:09 am

The Andis made quick work of an Irish trace clip — the whole thing was done in under an hour! I'd forgotten how nice they are to use for more delicate work.

Maia stood so happily through the whole thing I had to check that I was clipping the right chestnut mare :lol: She's normally a complete cow.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:09 pm

I like my Clipmaster unit. I use a #10 wide blade. Usually get blades off eBay.

I got a good price on the clippers from eBay a few years ago. My friend who clips many horses also has these clippers.

I haven’t had to clip my mare, but my old guy with Cushings, I had to clip a few times a year to keep him comfortable.

Next year, I will be able to put a light on her to keep her from growing such a thick coat. Will put it on early in the year to help her shed out.
The barn I am at has lights on all the other horses and they are all nice and slick.

avma
Greenie

Postby avma » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:38 am

I had the Listers when my Morgan mare was still living. She had cushings. They were amazing. I also would clip wet, right after a bath. It helped with all the hair getting everywhere. I just made sure to clean the blades and oil them well afterwards. I sold them to a friend who’s horse grew hair like nobody’s business. She also clipped wet, and loved them. I would also swap out blades and bring an ice pack to set the blades on to cool them down faster.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:57 pm

I just wanted to say, I finally found a place to sharpen my blades. I didn't want to send them to Idaho. Groom It Industries in LA. Shipped them off, they did them, and will ship back two sets of blades for $24. Pretty good. Just FYI if you need sharpening.

ASB Stars
Greenie

Postby ASB Stars » Tue May 24, 2022 2:44 pm

avma wrote:I had the Listers when my Morgan mare was still living. She had cushings. They were amazing. I also would clip wet, right after a bath. It helped with all the hair getting everywhere. I just made sure to clean the blades and oil them well afterwards. I sold them to a friend who’s horse grew hair like nobody’s business. She also clipped wet, and loved them. I would also swap out blades and bring an ice pack to set the blades on to cool them down faster.

I have Osters Clipmasters, A5's, Groomer's Edge, and a set of Listers. The Listers are awesome, because they are not as heavy as the Clipmasters, so are easier to handle as you are clipping. I need to send the Clipmasters out and get them service- one set is at least 50 years old, and the other about 40. They made them to last back then! The A5's are great for bridle paths, etc. There is a place in my area that does sharpening.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:22 pm

Oops, I do t have Clip Masters, I have a Double K clipper.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:59 am

avma wrote:I had the Listers when my Morgan mare was still living. She had cushings. They were amazing. I also would clip wet, right after a bath. It helped with all the hair getting everywhere. I just made sure to clean the blades and oil them well afterwards. I sold them to a friend who’s horse grew hair like nobody’s business. She also clipped wet, and loved them. I would also swap out blades and bring an ice pack to set the blades on to cool them down faster.

I'll second the clipping wet idea. If weather appropriate. The gal that clips for me insists on doing that, it's brilliant. I used to clip for side gig in the winter when I managed big barns, did close to 100 clips a year and trashed my hands doing it but this clipping wet thing, it's a game changer.

I had the big classic Osters and they run fine to this day (did an emergency preheat wave hack job on one of my sheep a few weeks ago) but If I were to do it again, I'd probably get something else, and it would be cordless, and I'd have an extra battery.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:22 am

I thought clipping wet was an absolute no?? That they had to be dry? Interesting!
I guess they still have to be clean?

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:45 am

Clipping wet is great. My barn manager does it after a bath with a conditioning shampoo. E3 Argan OIl shampoo puts a nice finish on the coat and the clippers really slide right through it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:18 am

I have switched entirely to Premier clippers. My body clippers and my cordless rechargeable clippers. Shearing sheep takes really good shears and premiers clippers come from the sheep shear lines but are made for horses and cows.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/clippers-and-shears/

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”