Armchair DVMs, diagnosis help

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Armchair DVMs, diagnosis help

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:12 am

Friend’s horse is named T. December 20 T had a minor colic. Treated with Banamine, everything came out fine. Pun intended. Two weeks later, another colicky type episode but this time with minor neurological symptoms. Vynthe time the vet got there, the neuro symptoms had passed. T got another dose of Banamine, but he had a temp so stayed in until temp went back to normal. Vet pulled blood and his liver enzymes were through the roof. Like in the 700s. His other numbers were outside normal, but I don’t know what they were. Eventually things went back to normal and T went back to turnout. Last weekend he had another bout of fever, etc. Vet came out, put him on abx. Owner is very responsible and diligent. Vets have no idea what is causing the spike in temp, listlessness, etc.

The vets are good, but there is only so much they can do in the field. We have an excellent equine hospital 10 minutes away, and the U of WI is less than 2 hours. Today the vet suggested taking him to U of WI.

I say the high liver enzymes are a symptom of something else, not necessarily liver disease. Some people have suggested toxic plants/weeds in turnout. T is the only horse in a barn of 80 exhibiting these symptoms.

Any ideas? It’s so odd that his liver numbers will be high, then 3 days later be normal…

exvet

Re: Armchair DVMs, diagnosis help

Postby exvet » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:16 am

Don't count out herpes or bastard strangles. We're having similar cases here in Az with one or the other being the diagnosis. We're also having a few of these that aren't ending up with a confirmed diagnosis but are improving with appropriate treatment and a LOT of supportive care. I ain't no armchair vet but I will say being a horse owner, I had a stallion who a surgeon (very well known in my circle) insisted on cutting because of his colic symptoms. I refused to let her take him to the table for a variety of reasons; but mostly because I knew that with the fever he was dealing with a viral infection, not drinking well which led to the colic, was far more likely. Long story short he recovered fully without surgery. My daughter is flying out tomorrow to go hug him and ride him. I also am the one who STILL owns the pony that went to the table 3 times for a colic that really never was a colic, but you got it a viral infection; but, like my stallion wasn't drinking well and ended up with a NON-surgical enteritis. Unfortunately, his owner at the time followed the recommendations of the surgeon on duty. Too cut isn't always to cure (goes against a well-known surgeons' edict) and colic can be due to a whole host of medical issues. Neurological symptoms would have me leaning towards herpes. You can see elevations in liver enzymes with many infections that do not always directly affect the liver.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:21 pm

I immediately thought Lymes, with elevated liver function and neurological symptoms, loss of appetite etc

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:57 pm

Chisamba wrote:I immediately thought Lymes, with elevated liver function and neurological symptoms, loss of appetite etc

You are absolutely right. Tick borne illnesses shouldn't be overlooked. They are the great imitators of many a disease, nasty boogers. Fortunately, not too common in our neck of the woods (for horses, but we have a few tick-borne diseases that are deadly for dogs) but certainly not in the area where this horse is.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:25 pm

Tick borne illness has been mentioned. Is there a test for Lyme, or is it “treat as though it is Lyme?”

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:36 pm

Nothing to suggest other than I do think getting him to U of WI would be the right call for a case that is complex/hard to pinpoint. There he will have a team that might be able to figure it out faster than individual vet would.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:36 pm

Texted with owner today. She said T was tested for Lyme and results were negative. If T were my horse, he'd be on a trailer to U of WI but I understand that not everybody wants to put their sick horse on a trailer for 2 hours. Owner is going to ask the field vet to consult with the U of WI.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:28 pm

My immediate thought would be some kind of toxicity. Sometimes horses develop a taste for things they shouldn't. I had one who nearly killed herself eating bracken, which is very high in alkaloids and normal horses won't touch. She was bound and determined to get at it, even though fenced away from it. She proved she could jump...

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:55 pm

Paula, did they test for anaplasmosis? Another tick borne illness that seems to pop up in winter a lot around here in Illinois

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:18 pm

Vet is coming out in a few days to pull blood. The owner talked to U of Wisconsin who basically said don’t trailer a sick horse, and if he’s not sick there’s nothing we can do(?). That makes no sense. I’ll ask the owner about anaplasmosis testing.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”