hoof resources

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

hoof resources

Postby blob » Tue May 31, 2022 12:05 pm

I consider myself a fairly savvy horse person when it comes to a lot of horse care things. However, one big gap in my understanding is feet. I can tell if a hoof is horribly off but I really don't know enough about angles to make evaluations. Of course I will always be working with farriers, but I would like to know enough to be able to ask the right questions and recognize when something isn't right beyond the obvious extreme.

So, I was hoping this knowledgable group might be able to point me to some good resources to learn more. I know Tanga has linked to a fb group, which I plan to join. But I would love some additional resources, I could read/watch/listen to get more of a base understanding.

khall

Re: hoof resources

Postby khall » Tue May 31, 2022 7:11 pm

My friends that follow barefoot protocols love Pete Ramey

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue May 31, 2022 8:52 pm

There are some good SureFoot webinars on hoof care (YouTube).

The Humble Hoof podcast: https://thehumblehoof.libsyn.com/

Study of the Equine Hoof on Facebook/Patreon. She does a lot of cross sections of cadaver feet, and has been looking more at leg structures recently as well.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue May 31, 2022 10:13 pm

Pete Ramey's book is good. The best facebook groups are https://www.facebook.com/davidlandreville.onthevertical, https://www.facebook.com/groups/215470472280264 I really like Oda Barhuf, too. When Pete Ramey stopped doing his page, she was one of the people I followed. She has a group I can't find right now.

I just follow everything I can and look a lot. Some of them are rather BS, and there is one group where every single person says every single horse has thrush, even in desert areas. It helps to just keep looking.

The study of the equine hoof is on FB and used to have great dissection videos. Now a lot of it is patreon, but still worth seeing it all.
Last edited by Tanga on Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:00 am

Duplicate
Last edited by Chisamba on Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:02 am

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”