theraplate?

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

theraplate?

Postby blob » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:32 pm

does anyone have any experience with or thoughts on a theraplate?

our new barn has one and it's free and available to use with our horses for anyone who would like to. I've never used one before and so was interested in perspectives. there doesn't seem to be any real actual science on any particular benefit. However, generally speaking, I'm ok with using and trying stuff that might make the horse feel good even if there is no science behind it as long as there is no negative, especially if it's free. But I must admit I do wonder if the vibrations could have negative long term impact to joints?

Both of mine have gotten up on it at low setting for a couple minutes, more as an exposure exercise rather than for any therapeutic reason. But now that I know they will be obedient about it (and RP seemed to like it, lots of licking and chewing), I want to decide if it's actually something I think is good for them/want to use regularly.
Last edited by blob on Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Re: theraplate?

Postby StraightForward » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:54 pm

The bodyworker I used to use who also ran a rehab facility had one and it was pretty much collecting dust. I never saw her use it; she said it was more popular with people than horses (she would take it when she had a booth at events).
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:44 pm

There's one at my barn. It's disconnected and leaning against the wall gathering dust next to my tack locker.

My vet friend and I are wondering how many Beemer blankets are going to join it in the next couple of years.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:04 pm

A friend of mine who is a body worker and trainer has one in her barn. She uses it daily. The horses load themselves. Does it work? I don’t know. But the horses like it.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:13 am

We have a Theraplate at our barn. It's supposed to help with lameness but that's not been our experience. We have however
used it more than once for colicky horses. For whatever reason, we put them on the Theraplate and they poop without fail.
I think the movement mimics a trailer ride, and we have had more than one horse get better after a short ride.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”