Shelters

keirajohnston
Greenie

Shelters

Postby keirajohnston » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:58 am

I’m thinking of going into shelter medicine and wanted to know why some hospitals don’t particularly like shelters and Is it all shelters or some?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Shelters

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:24 pm

Never mind. I realize its a veterinary field

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:13 pm

I worked in shelter medicine for over a decade. I started before shelter medicine was even recognized as a specialty/discipline. Back then most felt that only flunkies, retirees and the bottom of the barrel would work at shelters. Sometimes that was true. Most of the time it was not. The 'popular' view was that we performed shoddy surgeries, cut corners, and worked hard to take hard earned dollars away from our private practice focused colleagues. I've run two large shelters and started or expanded two low-cost clinics open to the public that are associated with shelters. I had private practitioners threaten to sue me, turn me into the board, accuse me of all sorts of malpractice, etc.; but over the years as UC-Davis et al began to shine a light on the legitimate needs, the quality of care that could/should/ and was provided in shelters and as behavior medicine got more involved there has been an effort to legitimize those of us who hold shelter medicine near and dear to our hearts. Still, it's the 'competition' that drives a lot of our private practice colleagues to snub their noses or spew derogatoriness our way. Many (not all) feel the grants we get and discounts from veterinary distributors/manufacturers are unfair. The same individuals feel we 'cheapen' their efforts by offering low-cost care to ANYONE. I actually work in private practice now due to the degree of arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome I developed while in shelter medicine. I can no longer perform 30+ surgeries a day. I had to take a leave. I cannot tell you the daily 'redirecting' of views and opinions I have to conduct and out-and-out lies I have to correct coming from my colleagues (staff and doctors) even to this day. I still will pull shifts for some shelters, fill in and conduct outreach days to underserved communities (mostly the reservations), consult for the smaller municipal shelters, and weigh in on cruelty cases as an expert witness. I would give anything to be able to take a more active role in the discipline, but my body is used up and my grit just isn't what it once was. I don't regret anything except allowing the profession (as a whole) to force me to accept the use and abuse..............it's better, but as a profession the expectations which cause the physical wear and tear, not to mention the emotional and mental wear and tear (which is getting a ton of focus now due to the losses of Dr. Yin et al) continue. I can't imagine anything I enjoyed more than shelter medicine when I consider veterinary medicine as a whole and I've done a lot with my DVM.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:19 pm

Exvet, I am shocked that shelter vets have not been respected by some in the same profession.

Who do they think will care for these animals, when they have been dumped, abused or are very Ill.

Without shelter vets there would be no shelters for these animals. There would only be euthanasia and god knows we already have enough of that with over filled shelters.

Thank you for the years of work you have done to keep shelters open and also help the less fortunate care for their animals.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:30 am

I appreciate the support Hayburner. For many the care of these animals is what it is. The simple fact is that shelters require some sort of income, and no vet likes competition. We compete to get into vet school. We compete when we're in vet school. The thought of competing after vet school, though very real, is not wanted in a way that is considered to be undercutting the profession. It's one thing to be on the same playing field; but those in the private sector feel that grants and discounts muddle the whole 'proper' dynamic. It's not all that different from those crying for 'fairness' in the amateur competitive ring.................it will never exist; but that doesn't stop many from expecting, demanding or clamoring for it.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:11 am

Exvet, while I am aware of your professional history, that was a powerful read. What incredible service you gave and continue to give! Lots of lucky people and animals have intersected with your gifts.

p.s. The behavior of small animal private vets vs. large animal vets is a whole other thing....

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:11 am

piedmontfields wrote:Exvet, while I am aware of your professional history, that was a powerful read. What incredible service you gave and continue to give! Lots of lucky people and animals have intersected with your gifts.

p.s. The behavior of small animal private vets vs. large animal vets is a whole other thing....

Thank you peidmontfields. I really appreciate your words. I wrote a long vent but it's not something to Aire in public. Suffice it to say that I look forward to the day when I can say I'm done. Until then I'll keep pulling shifts and doing what I know is right, my job.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:48 am

I just adopted a rabbit from my county shelter. I did NOT need a rabbit but I saw his picture on social media, his ears are badly shredded (didn't happen at shelter, they're healed), he was on the euth list, they named him Blackavar....I read Watership Down in the 3rd grade...I have a rabbit now.

I came here to say that the written health assessment and discharge instructions he came with are on par with any paying horse I ever picked up at UC Davis. The health assessment in particular was detailed and in depth. There will be baked things being delivered to shelter staff, and should the need ever arise, I'll speak up for them at public meetings.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”