It seems like horses always present you with something you haven't seen before.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

It seems like horses always present you with something you haven't seen before.

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:38 pm

It just seems that way. I know more about founder than I ever wanted to know and now I think I am getting acquainted with "heaves" or "allergies" as the vet calls them. If you all have experienced this with your horse could you tell me what you do or if you have any suggestions?

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Re: It seems like horses always present you with something you haven't seen before.

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:19 am

Heaves used to be the common name for COPD which now has another name that I can never remember. I have a 24 year old mini stallion who was diagnosed with it several years ago. Most horses fall into one of two sort of "seasonal" types: Summer/ outdoor allergies to pasture type pollens etc. and winter/indoor allergies to hay, dust etc. You can use barn and horse maintenance to manage the condition, but there is no known cure... Lung damage does not heal. Horse allergy testing is, for the most part, expensive and inconclusive. The most obvious symptoms are coughing and heavy breathing after exertion. The most important thing you can do is try to determine what is causing the symptoms and remove or reduce them from the environment. My Vet also recommends a diet high in Omega fatty acids (I feed Pala-Tech I get from the Vet). Some of the things I have done: change bedding to the least dusty option available (I use and like rice hulls very much) and install solid barriers between stalls so that neighboring horses don't kick up bedding dust; wet down hay (not necessary to soak this is just rinsing off the hay dust); wet down all pelleted feeds; wash face/eyes/nostrils regularly; use fly masks and fly spray being careful that the latter doesn't add to the problem (I use Esprie Aloe Herbal with no problems); make sure your arena footing is as undusty as possible; don't exercise/turnout outdoors on windy days when pollen counts are high; I don't have pasture, but if I did I would look at seedless grass varieties. Basically treat this like asthma. My guy has had it now for several years. The Vet listens to his lungs every time she comes out and even I can hear the crackle, so I know it isn't good, but he still has a good quality of life. He still gets regular turnout etc. although he hasn't pulled a cart in years that is not because of this. Talk to your Vet about exercise and when you should limit it (ie high pollen count days, dusty arena days etc).

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Re: It seems like horses always present you with something you haven't seen before.

Postby PNG_Pony » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:17 pm

We had an older horse with heaves; it made a big difference for him to live out on pasture 24/7 (we lived on the prairie so it was windy, but that didn't bother him so much) than to be in even a barn with decent ventilation or a stall. He was an old retired showhorse, so he wasn't working hard anymore and it rarely affected his rides (toting around beginners). We definitely fed him as dust-free hay as possible and kept a close eye on him, but he didn't require as much maintenance as srhorselady's critter.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:04 am

My COPD horse had been almost cured by the purchase of a hay steamer. Wevsteam all of his hay to destroy mold spores and reduce dust.

We do also keep him on a probiotic and iodide and flax.

We have, on standby, an antihistamine, a inhaler, and dex, but have not had to use them in months.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:37 pm

Second the recommendation of a hay steamer.

greenhorse
Novice

Postby greenhorse » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:33 am

I have always been told that each horse has something to teach us. Silly me. I thought they meant about horsemanship, not healthcare. :(

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:39 pm

greenhorse wrote:I have always been told that each horse has something to teach us. Silly me. I thought they meant about horsemanship, not healthcare. :(

No kidding. BTW, I have heard many people swear by spirulina as a helpful addition to the diet of a horse with heaves or allergies. It can take awhile to introduce it, as some horses just hate the flavor.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:39 am

my heavy horse can't handle dust/mold in his hay. I use cough free (keep some on hand always) when he starts coughing and then start soaking his hay. I use a 50 gal plastic barrel and fill it then soak his hay for about 5 min. under water (can use the water for 4-5 soakings). About a week after I begin soaking his hay, I can stop the cough free and he's fine. Usually happens late winter, early spring when I get down to the bottom of the hay bales and they are a bit mouldy/dusty down there. Been doing this routine for a number of years - works great.

He's out 24/7 unless it's really Bad weather.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:06 pm

I had a horse who developed heaves after a winter at a boarding facility with bad hay. Turned out an allergy to oaks exacerbated the situation, and moving him to an oak-free area really helped.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:25 am

I have a retiree with heaves. Summers are very difficult for her. I set up a mister (like this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cobra-Mistan ... /100373188) and it really helps. At one point, 5cc Dex every other day in the worst times. (I am well aware of the dangers. She is 27 and has had a really good life. I will not have her suffer trying to breathe in her final years.)

I am currently giving her Smartpak Smartbreathe, fish oil and Histall H - it has tumeric in it. Research shows that tumeric, especially when mixed with oils, is anti inflammatory,and other research suggests fish oil is beneficial.

She is currently doing very well. Yes, it's winter, but I believe the supplements are working for us.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:42 pm

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/37142/ ... 02-16-2016

Heat Waves, Pollen Could Worsen Equine Asthma Signs

Larbear
Novice

Postby Larbear » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:46 pm

greenhorse wrote:I have always been told that each horse has something to teach us. Silly me. I thought they meant about horsemanship, not healthcare. :(

I'll say... my horse presented with slightly high SDH enzyme but all other enzmes from the liver panel came back normal back at the end of January. He's been retested about every 10 to 12 days and the SDH enzyme result continues to climb (despite milk thistle and SAMe as supportive therapy) while the others are still normal. To say I'm concerned is an understatement (and my vet's). We going to Tufts this week for ultrasound and most likely a biopsy. :(

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:21 pm

I've been using the SmartPak Smart Breath pellets for my guy's seasonal spring allergies. That Histall H product looks interesting.

Larbear - I don't recognize the SDH enyme you mentioned. Did you mean LDH? Hope you get a good outcome with your vet exam.

Larbear
Novice

Postby Larbear » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:51 am

SDH (Sorbitol dehydrogenase) is an enzyme in the liver. It's a very specific indicator of injury to the liver and liver disease.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”