Breed help - small drafty type

nwivy
Novice

Breed help - small drafty type

Postby nwivy » Thu May 19, 2016 4:47 pm

Help please.

I've found a Gypsy Vanner I kinda want, but I'm not into the hair. Something tells me a roached Gypsy would be frowned upon.

I want something short (so I don't have far to fall)
Exceptionally un-spooky
Under 15 y.o.
Won't mind very little work
Able to withstand (and maybe be the 4h project for) large (the 14-yo girl is 5'11"[!] and chubby) children

orono
Herd Member

Re: Breed help - small drafty type

Postby orono » Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

I can see you with a fjord, esp since roaching is the way to go!! Hopefully all of the VHS (virtual horse shoppers) here can help out.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu May 19, 2016 5:07 pm

I was going to suggest a Fjord, too. I have a 14.0h Fjord/QH cross and she's a gem! I keep her mane short and she's very low-maintenance.

Here she is jumping last summer with me aboard (I'm 5'7" and not skinny!).
Aggie_jumping_2015.jpg
Aggie_jumping_2015.jpg (89.27 KiB) Viewed 24748 times
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu May 19, 2016 7:32 pm

Freja would be perfect (and I have contacted them) but she's in VA, and that's a ways from WA state.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu May 19, 2016 7:50 pm

But, as a rule, are they hotter/more forward than I want?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 19, 2016 7:53 pm

My students Fiord's are energy averse. They would rather be slow, and are kid safe. I only know two of them personally.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 19, 2016 7:55 pm

PS, I clip the Gypsy we have, short mane clipped legs. But we do dressage and 4h with him, not gypsy shows

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu May 19, 2016 8:58 pm

LOL 'Energy Adverse' the ones I have knows were the same way. If anything a bit stubborn, many would only agree to trot under duress and refuse to canter, but they were safe, fun & attractive.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Fri May 20, 2016 12:02 am

I think I think of Haflingers as being more solid citizens (better at and more willing to jog and slow canter) than Fjords. But I'm still leaning toward the Gypsy. Especially with a short mane and clipped legs. Do you have pics?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri May 20, 2016 9:04 am

Teddy the Gypsy, is in the left.
Attachments
20160424_104431.jpg
20160424_104431.jpg (113.38 KiB) Viewed 24719 times

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Fri May 20, 2016 2:57 pm

I do like that a lot

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Fri May 20, 2016 3:49 pm

Even if I'm willing to transport or otherwise seek out the existence of - there isn't any other breed fitting my criteria?

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri May 20, 2016 7:33 pm

There are some good old QH types that would work well for you, big variety in the breed. I found 2 more ads, horses are a bit older but more in your region. 1 haffie & 1 appy, both mares.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2013143/be ... ngton.html

http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2035538/d- ... regon.html

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri May 20, 2016 8:37 pm

Cheval Canadien (yes, I am biased). Where are you located?

Check out the Canadian Horse Link http://www.canadianhorselink.com/

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Fri May 20, 2016 11:16 pm

I'm located in the Portland, OR metro area.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Sat May 21, 2016 3:33 pm

I think (as long as I can get the trust to pay) that I'm going to go for a Gypsy.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 21, 2016 4:51 pm

I think that the Canadiens and sportier haflingers that I have known are quite forward and can be more fresh and forward than might suit a beginner 4h or rider with limitations

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Sat May 21, 2016 5:09 pm

I think the older, drafter type of Haflinger is a solid citizen. It's the newer, leggier, type that has the go button and animation. My sister used to raise them and there is a big difference within the breed. The most rock solid, dependable, kind horse we have ever had ia a Clydesdale. They do come smaller as we once looked at one who was 15:2.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sun May 22, 2016 1:32 am

If you're going to look at a Gypsy, have a good feel of all 4 legs checking for lumps and bumps, not the bony kind. Gypsies can have chronic progressive lymphedema, it's sort of manageable, and not curable. The more feather they have, and especially if it's coarse and curly, the more likely they are to have it. Just FYI.

Fjords can be quite lovely, and very quiet, though there are some that are…sporty ;) Some can be a little dull, which can require more strength for motivation.

I don't know any parariders personally, but I know quite a few paradrivers and we attended and DH competed in, the World Paradriving Championships in England two years ago. He was the navigator, he's able bodied. Horses that the paradrivers use can be pretty spicy, as once you're in the carriage and moving, there's really no difference between para and able bodied. The horses have to be good and sensible on the ground, because wheelchairs, but they are mostly event horse hot once they're moving.

I don't know if driving is something you'd have any interest in or if you'd rather ride. If driving would be of interest (you're in Oregon right?) you might check out The CDE at Inavale. Beverly White is likely to be there, she's a paradriver, she has MS. Lovely person and past president I think of US driving for disabled. http://usdfd.org Hope that's all helpful to you :)

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Sun May 22, 2016 2:10 am

Because I'm not paralyzed and my disability is more systemic, driving scares the bejesus outta me. and I'm actually in WA.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Mon May 23, 2016 11:44 pm

Does any breed have the traits of being really unflighy, but not needing a ton of motivation? I don't think I could even manage a stick...

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon May 23, 2016 11:48 pm

The ultra unflighty might need a ground person to lead/motivate. Would that be an option?

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:45 am

nwivy wrote:Does any breed have the traits of being really unflighy, but not needing a ton of motivation? I don't think I could even manage a stick...

I don't think calm and confident is all that closely related to energy conserving, which is why it's so easy to find horses that appear to be "lazy" that when they do spook lose it. That, and there's so much variation in characteristics between individuals of the same breed, that buying a particular breed of horse is no guarantee, either.

It sounds to me that what you may be looking for is a very well trained horse (easy to motivate) who started out with a calm, confident disposition which was then developed by plenty of exposure to what you're most likely to encounter? If it was me I'd go with an older horse with plenty of miles doing whatever it is that you want to do with him.

The last thing I'd be looking at is a particular breed or appearance, unless looking at a horse that you find interesting or attractive is just as important to you as being able to ride him.

Good luck in your search. A friend of mine, who already has quite a few horses, is currently searching for a more suitable horse, and the problem she's running into is that she doesn't really have the time to be able to visit horses repeatedly to see if she can sort out which ones might actually work for her, so the only way for her to find out what the horse is really like is to buy it and bring it home (which is part of the reason she already has quite a few horses).

fireantranch
Greenie

Postby fireantranch » Tue May 24, 2016 12:54 pm

I have a smallish Shire (yes, the mares are smaller) 16hh - barely. PLENTY enough height/width for me. She takes a medium saddle! She's perfect. Calm and cool. We DO have to work on "GO". And yes, I roach her mane and trim at least the feather on the back legs.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed May 25, 2016 8:04 pm

This response is not meant to offend you - but have you considered a "special riders" program in your area? It would get you back in the saddle and prepared for when you go to visit any horse you are interested in purchasing. Also, such programs may know of a horse with the temperament requirements you are seeking.

http://www.equestspecialriders.org/

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu May 26, 2016 12:46 am

I have pictures, but the file size is too big to post. I went with a Gypsy that's under 15 hands, there was nothing to make me pick a Shire. And I'm already planning to breed her to a big Fresian for the kids in this house, where the 14 yr old GiRL is 5'11".

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu May 26, 2016 1:04 am

Congrats! Wonderful that you were able to find something so quickly. :)

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu May 26, 2016 2:11 am

She's young so I just hope she'll like her new job.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu May 26, 2016 2:25 am

I hope so too! Did you get to try her?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 26, 2016 2:10 pm

I find you choice somewhat illogical . A green horse does not make sense as a riding horse for a disabled rider and novice kids. Breeding said green horse to produce a suitable offspring even less so.

However having aspirations and goals is positive. Please have a genuine back up plan for the horse if things do not go as hoped.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu May 26, 2016 3:03 pm

Back-up plans of course! Especially since I didn't get to try her first. There are so many traits (as a breed and an individual) that just feel right.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu May 26, 2016 11:54 pm

Not that I need to explain myself, but I would like "you"'re approval. She is a 4-year old (which is a concern in itself) who will be my riding partner and will also have to teach the others (probably 2 kids) to ride. She will have to go to the trainer next winter for training touch-up, what kind will probably depend on her. And then after that to be bred by live cover. The 14-year old girl will be 16 but finishing up 10th grade when the baby's on the ground. The baby would only be at the oldest 2 for fairs. I'm not really sure what they offer for in-hand classes, but I loved Showmanship and groundwork. The boy is just 7 now, so he's currently along for whatever we have in store. What age can kids start 4-H?

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:06 am

DJR wrote:I was going to suggest a Fjord, too. I have a 14.0h Fjord/QH cross and she's a gem! I keep her mane short and she's very low-maintenance.

Here she is jumping last summer with me aboard (I'm 5'7" and not skinny!).
Aggie_jumping_2015.jpg

I'm waiting to hear if the Gypsy mix passed her evaluation, but I did contact someone about a QH/Fjord mare. If the Gypsy doesn't work out...

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:34 am

The evaluation for the Gypsy got rescheduled for today. I did hear back about the Fjord x, and apparently she's too "animated".

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:15 pm

The Gypsy was a no-go, too. What about an Azteca?

She might be too firey. She's pretty good at piaffe in hand.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:25 am

I don't think any breed can be a definite yes or no, it really boils down to individual temperment and experience. You want a horse who can be ridden inside or out, alone or with company, handled easily, and they type you can put in the crossties and then drive to town to get a sandwich (not that you would!). Good with hoses, dogs, cats, kids, cows, farm equipment, vet, farrier, tarps, flags and loud noises.

I really like word of mouth for school type horses, and it's usually better if they're found locally. Are you currently in contact with any barns nearby? Do you have one picked out for boarding that could help you with your search, and maybe arrancing a trial or lease period?

ETA, another factor to consider is living conditions. What type of arrangement will the horse have once you buy him/her? A horse who is dead broke and good with kids but lives in a large pasture with friends can be a very different animal if they're primarily stabled with minimal turnout. I would 'put the cart before the horse', determine how your horse will live once purchased and look for horses that have a similar current situation.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:01 am

i can think of few horses less appropriate than an Azteca.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”