Conformation plus temperament questions

nwivy
Novice

Conformation plus temperament questions

Postby nwivy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:26 am

I don't know html or how to do images.

I thought I had decided on the Gypsy, but this Fell Pony has several things going for her. I prefer dark horses. The Fell, though still has feathers, isn't nearly as hairy as the Gypsy, because of my disability it would be challenging to use a hose. And I don't do sharp objects. She's 11 years old vs. 4 for the Gypsy. The Fell mare isn't maiden. I think there would be more demand for a Gypsy or cross baby.
Last edited by nwivy on Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

orono
Herd Member

Re: Conformation plus temperament questions

Postby orono » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:23 am

Have you not bought the Gypsy mare yet?

How well broke is the Fell? I would go for training and rideability over feathers, colour, offspring value etc..

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:20 pm

It's not so much a look I like or don't like, it''s the care of said stuff. And neither has a lot of experience under saddle, they just seem to have appropriate body types and size. I was looking for insight on breed traits. And I have not bought the Gypsy, yet. I won't have access to funding til later this month.

It's not that individuals of any breed, size, color might not be perfect, it's that I can't drive. Because I can't get around to go find those individuals, I have to rely more heavily on advice and stereotypes - I mean breed traits.
Last edited by nwivy on Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:06 pm

You said on another thread that this would be your riding horse and also would teach two kids to ride. A green horse of any age or breed will not be able to do that. I agree with orono, go with training and rideability.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:08 pm

There won't be teaching of anyone to ride anymore. That all changed when I decided to board.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:18 pm

I answered but the ether ate my response. I too look for temperament and experience and then soundness when horse buying, be it for me or others.

Now Gypsies popularity is definitely waning. There was a massive Fresian and Gypsy auction by an SPCA recently of seized and rescued Gypsy ponies, Fresian, and their crosses. If you need now, I think you would hit a bottomed out market come time to sell.

Fell ponies are more rare and have a following somewhat.

It's good to dream and plan, but being logical and thoughtful helps. :)

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:51 pm

Breeding is kind of the stretch, since there's not much I could do with a baby. However, breeding is something I may get involved in, because for the most part it doesn't have to take a lot of ground help. I wouldn't be much good in an emergency, though.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:02 pm

So the horse will be boarded out, you will be the only person riding, and you don't need the horse for lessons or breeding (just trying to keep up!). What about a good old QH gelding?

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:08 pm

I was hoping for personal knowledge of what's typical for the breed like: they're difficult to canter, they tend to be stubborn, their trot, though jarring, is usually easy to sit, etc.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:19 pm

A good, old Q H gelding has several issues. Though there's bound to be exceptions, it's difficult to get folks to own up to the problems, and I can't drive, so that makes it more difficult to go look for myself. QH tend to have feet that aren't great, are likely easily swayed by my inability to sit straight. QH is one of my strong maybes. Oh yeah, and I'm definitely a mare person. Of the 5 horses I've owned 4 were mares.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:37 am

Yes, it's true. Many do have issues, some are worth their weight in gold though. I am also a mare person, so understand that bias.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:56 am

A good ranch bred QH would be much sounder individual. Having said that a good friend of mine and I went to look at a APHA horse for him, black and white not what he wanted at all. Turned out though even though only 6 months prior the APHA had been a stallion he was my friends perfect horse, smaller at only 15.1 but stocky enough to carry a man and pre purchase vet said totally sound horse, something he had only said one other time in over 20 yrs of practice. He was not your typical QH looking APHA though, he has good bone and good feet and not overly muscled up and muscle bound. BTW he looks stunning in Western tack.

I know nothing of Fell Ponies or Gypsy's for that matter. I would think Fell Ponies would be fairly rare, where Gypsy have been bred in not such a thoughtful manner. Sounds like you need a quiet easy going horse, I would look at individuals rather than sticking to a certain breed. Young and green would not be my choice for safe horse for compromised individual.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:28 pm

If good feet and a smooth ride are important, look at an Andalusian. My mates trot is unbelievably smooth! She goes barefoot, and is a nice for me. She's around 15.1 or 2.

Since we both are green she's a bit of a struggle for me, but that's not against the bred just our experience.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:57 pm

I could do 15.1 or 2, if I had to, and though I have looked at Andalusions - it seems like you get a lot less training and experience than othhers for similar price. And they're likely too hot and/or too sensitive. But I keep looking, it's just that I don't raise my expectations.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:38 pm

Would 15.1-2 be on the tall or short side for you?

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:46 am

Maybe too tall. I'm hoping 14 to 15 hands.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:35 pm

I've known some Dales which are very similar. I think they come from the same county originally or close to. They're neat, if I were going to get a small hairy pony, that would be one I'd look at but I'm a terrible snob about the Gypsies ;) The Dales and the 2 Fells that I knew were pretty cool, but they were neither bombproof mentally nor bulletproof physically. Like any breed, they have their stars and their not so good uns. They do not seem to handle the heat very well, here in California, in competition. I was kind of surprised that any of them had any orthopedic lameness, but some of them did. Your choice if you want a hairy one (I get the appeal, I truly do, but as the owner of multiple feathered horses, lemme tell you, it is some work) but if I wanted a 15 handish solid riding horse, I'd dang sure rather have an old style QH like Freeway who lets not forget, was pretty dang sound well into his 20's and took all of 5 minutes to give him a bath.

The hair thing really does get old sometimes, if you like to play my little pony and groom and bathe a LOT, then great. Plan on spending a fair amount of time squatted in catcher's position washing feather if you want it to look nice and checking for lumps and bumps and burrs and birds nests and whatnot.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:06 pm

I still like the temperment of a fjord for you, though they are extremely wide, not sure if you would find that comfortable? Have you been riding in the past few years? Is there somewhere that you can go and try a few horses to narrow down your search even more?

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:07 am

Fjords are definitely on my yay list. I am not at all wild about all the hair - in fact, that's one of the main reasons I've moved away from wanting a Gypsy. I did like the one that was all clipped, though. That's another plus for Fjords. in anticipation of a Gypsy, I have a treeless saddle all picked out. I don't think wide will be a problem.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:34 am

Quelah - tell me more about the Dales you knew. One is my latest possibility. You're right, and if I only wanted to ride, an old-style QH would be the way to go. But I like attention and would enjoy having a unique horse. Although are all feathers (even dark ones) that much maintenance?

Last edited by nwivy on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:20 am

Are you still in Clark County? Are you interested in a lease? I know of a horse who might be a good fit that could be part leased.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:58 am

Hair is hair. Dark feathered legs and the skin underneath require just as much care as the white once, though I suppose staining won't show as much. BTW, in case you come over to the hairy side ;) in horses, feather is singular. Horses have feather, birds have feathers. "That horse is nicely feathered" or "that horse has fine feather". Fine feather is preferable, horses with coarse or (shudders) curly feather tend to have the most skin troubles. Now you'll sound like a proper feathered horse person :)

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:17 pm

That's a photo of the Dales mare, I put it a couple of messages back.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:42 pm

The image doesn't show in the thread.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:41 pm

It shows over and over for me. I wonder if it's because I'm on a mac. I'll try it on a pc later.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:19 pm

I'm not getting anything to work.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:54 pm

But the other picture does show up even though I'm on a pc.

What will I trade with a gaited breed? Like a Rocky Mt.?

goneriding - where are you? I am interested in that part-lease.
Last edited by nwivy on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:01 pm

nwivy wrote:
What will I trade with a gaited breed? Like a Rocky Mt.?

I have several friends who bought gaited horses and then found out that gaited does not mean smooth gaited, and then their horses couldn't trot so they couldn't post either. One friend got a really nice Paso who then developed suspensory problems. A couple others got rough gaited horses who tripped badly and then couldn't catch themselves and would fall down on their knees. One got a walker who is hyper-reactive, and a RMH who started out really calm and nice but after sitting around for awhile got herd bound and difficult.

So IME, you won't necessarily trade anything other than maybe the ability to trot, because whether you get a horse who suits you is way more about the individual horse than the breed.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:05 am

After all my changes of mind, I think I'm (maybe) gonna go with a 12-year old QH with experience as a therapy horse.
http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2039333/sh ... regon.html

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:22 am

Wow, I love her. Beautiful mare, sweet face, and sounds like the perfect temperament and experience. Hopefully you can see (& buy!) her soon! Keep us posted!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:35 am

orono wrote:Wow, I love her. Beautiful mare, sweet face, and sounds like the perfect temperament and experience. Hopefully you can see (& buy!) her soon! Keep us posted!

Just be sure to go and see her (or send someone who knows what you need), spend some time evaluating her, and get a prepurchase done, because what one person thinks is a 2 disposition and sound, another will think is an 8 disposition and lame.

Another horse buying tip is to ask questions, because sellers will often leave out information, but if you ask them directly they'll answer honestly. But they can only answer as honestly as what they know and believe, which is why it's important to actually spend time with the horse to find out for yourself. That said, she does sound good on paper (which brings up the question of why they're selling such a paragon of virtue).

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:58 am

I just got a video of her "slow" walk. She was really tense, had her head up, and looked really unhappy. This is not a situation I want to be involved in.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:06 am

Yep, you have to go with your gut when you're shopping.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Well then, back to gaited. I don't know a lot about gaited, but they often seem too fiery and/or too fast. What do you think of this: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/grd/5637032341.html ?

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:19 pm

That horse appears to have a strong GO button, but it's hard to say from pics.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:52 pm

i'm pretty sure the video was of a 3-year old. I don't want that anyway.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:55 am

Any red flags with this one? Not very dressagey but I am out west. Besides that really mellow would be good. I am lacking in horse-knowlegable confidants.
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/5634407698.html

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:16 pm

From my little experience - If I were you, I'd be looking at a gelding...While I love my new mare, she was unbeknownst to me Pregnant when I purchased her! When she's in "season" - she's a handful for me...and that's every 20 some days for many months of the year! UGH....I really dislike riding her when she's in "season". It's not fun....I'm a timid rider and it's not that she scares me - but, she does frustrate me.

My gelding that I purchased as a 13 year old - NEVER gave me a lick of trouble on the ground or in the saddle. He's 1/2 Arab and was always a safe mount.

Just my 2 cents....

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:27 pm

I would stay away from anything that has a resume in gaming/gymkhana/playdays/rodeo. From your description of your mobility/needs, that's going to be much more go than you need.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:21 pm

She looks good, but you would have to see her in a video, and then in person. 'Ties' can mean a wide range of different things: "Doesn't break cross ties but does shuffle back and forth while being groomed' or 'falls asleep and can be safely groomed by young children'.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:27 am

I think I've gone back to a Gypsy. A cross though.
Last edited by nwivy on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:52 pm

I;m back to a Gypsy, but a 12-year old, and a cross.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Sounds good, hope it works out!

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:55 am

I'm still keeping my ear out for goneriding and the part-lease on the Haflinger. Here's the most current one: http://www.midnightsunranch.com/momsite/lilikoi.php
(I've given up on posting a photo.)

I'm gonna have her temperament evaluated and 30 days put on her.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:02 am

She sounds extremely green for her age, every horse is different but i've found 'older and green' to be much more difficult than 'young and green'. The video also describes her as 'athletic and forward-going', that *can* be horse ad code for 'spooky and has iffy brakes'. But seeing her in person and having an evaluation done will be more telling than the ad.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:25 am

And I did ask how forward she was and they said not very, just forward for a Gypsy.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”