Anything stellar about this AQHA pedigree?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Anything stellar about this AQHA pedigree?

Postby PaulaO » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:08 pm

The title states it all. I'm interested in this horse, found his pedigree online. Anything stand out?

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/hotrod+rock

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: Anything stellar about this AQHA pedigree?

Postby texsuze » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:02 pm

Being QH you might want to investigate bloodlines implicated in polysaccharide storage myopathy (PSSM). At one time I knew the website to check, but can't find it now. I believe the halter QH lines are more statistically implicated in this disease. Horses can be tested for PSSM.

And I vaguely remember reading purely anecdotal responses somewhere (possibly in the previous dressage BB) about problems related to Two Eyed Jack lines. Not to burst your bubble--sorry I can't remember specifics--but you might want to do a bit of research first.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:29 pm

I really like his dam. Lots of athletic horses back there-- mainly cutters and reiners. I especially like Nu Chex to Cash, but I am an admitted palomino aficionado. The sire's side also has some useful names for cutting and reining, but less close than the dam.

Some of the Doc Bar (and I realize he's far back there, so traits may be diluted) bred stock can have some strong opinions, and as a result you may take a hit on your submission scores. That actually holds for many-- but not all-- of the cutting-bred horses. They can be pretty independent. "May" is the operative word here; I'd evaluate the horse in front of you first and then check the pedigree.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:37 pm

The stud is cow horse bloodlines (cutting, cow horse, reining). I've never heard of him, though, nor his sire. But of course Dry Doc is a legend as a cutter and a sire, and his full brother Doc O'Lena (ditto on the legend thing) is on the bottom side of the sire's pedigree.

The dam, though, is by Nu Chex To Cash, who has been a highly influential sire, mostly in reining and some in cow horse as well. Both himself and as a sire of sires....his sons Wimpys Little Step, Big Chex To Cash, etc, are very important. I've never ridden one myself so I can't tell you about their temperament, but I have noticed many horses from this bloodline that have dressage quality gaits.

Her bottomside is Zan Parr Bar and Two Eyed Jack. Both hall of famers, and "all-around" sires back when that meant something different than it does today. They sired good-looking, good-riding horses of quality that were often used as show horses, but were also influential in roping et al. Zan Gold Jack was also a champion, I believe.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”