AQHA registry

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

AQHA registry

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:25 pm

Is there a way to look up a pedigree on an AQHA without being an AQHA member? I found pedigreequery.com but that is only for TBs.....

StraightForward

Re: AQHA registry

Postby StraightForward » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:51 am

You could try allbreedpedigree.com but you do need to be a member to access AQHA records directly.
Keep calm and canter on.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:21 am

I ask on the COTH forums and someone usually looks it up for me. Put it into "Off Course" or "Sport Horse Breeding"

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks. I will check both spots. Bob's dam was AQHA and I found her bottom pedigree, but not the top. (Is that right? I found her dam's pedigree but not her sire's).

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:16 pm

What's the name? or you can PM me, I'd be happy to help.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:53 pm

The horse I'm interested in is Benlou Glo Squirt. I've always been curious as to why she was picked so thought maybe she had some stellar QH bloodlines. His sire's father was Foolish Pleasure, 1975 Derby winter. I wonder if Bob was bred to be a racing QH.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:37 pm

She’s a 1976 model. Double bred King, with dashes of Waggoner studs, Poco Bueno, Roan Hancock, Leo in the mix.

The mare’s sire is Blu’s Wagon Wheel, who is by Blue Glo out of Blonda Dun. Blue Glo is a grandson of the great King. Blonda Dun is by Poco Dun, out of a Sergeant mare. Her dam, Dusty Gray Lady, is by the King grandson Dusty Beaver and out of Lowry Nylon.

If you go to AQHA.com and look up the Hall of Fame, you’ll find stories about King P-234, Poco Bueno, Leo, Joe Hancock. All ancestors of your horse.

Her pedigree is common foundation breeding, I don't see any real standouts closeup in her pedigree. I doubt your horse was intended to be a racehorse, per se. Although back then it was pretty common to try a youngster on the track first (often an unrecorded match track) to see if it had any speed before going on with it to other jobs (show horse or whatever). Since the mare’s pedigree is all foundation stuff, she was probably pretty stocky, and they may have been trying to lighten her up by outcrossing on a TB (I assume that’s what you’re saying your horse’s sire was).

Thoroughbreds intended to be used as QH racehorse sires -- horses like Three Bars, Depth Charge, Beduino, etc -- were hard-muscled sprinters. Not so much Kentucky Derby winners -- the long, lean muscles needed for a 1 mile plus distance race aren't so helpful at 350 yards. ;)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Kelo, thanks a ton! Yes, Bob's sire was a TB, so he was a true registered Appendix. I'm just learning how to read pedigrees and I find this fascinating. I know more about TBs than I do QHs. One more question. What do you mean by "foundation breeding?"

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:11 am

PaulaO wrote: What do you mean by "foundation breeding?"

Sure!

Foundation breeding...when AQHA first came into existence in 1940, they reserved the first group of registration numbers for selected stallions. These early stallions sired dynasties and, well, founded the breed. Early horses were inspected for type back then before being registered, too, so horses tended to be the "bulldog" type conformation. Here's a good site that has pics of many of them: http://www.foundationhorses.com/pedigrees.aspx.

But a foundation bred traces strongly to those foundation stallions and, usually, is bulldog built.

Of course, people wanted a faster horse, or a taller horse, so TBs were and are an accepted outcross.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”