Am I going to even find a 1/4-3/4 Clyde cross mare to try?

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Am I going to even find a 1/4-3/4 Clyde cross mare to try?

Postby Tsavo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 pm

I have been looking at many draft cross sites and I can't say I have even seen one mare that is 1/4-3/4 Clyde. I don't think I will find one despite the fact that I have a 1/4-3/4 Clyde, albeit a gelding.

I would hate to fly another horse across the continent but I am coming around to the thought of having to look in western Canada. I am actively avoiding this thought for now.

If necessary I will fold on the 1/4-3/4 and accept 1/2-1/2 but I will not fold on the mare requirement.

piedmontfields

Re: Am I going to even find a 1/4-3/4 Clyde cross mare to try?

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Given your fixation on Clydesdale breeding, I'd say you'd have to go where you find them! It is probably worth exploring some fox hunting resources across N. America for leads.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:35 pm

What I really want is an FEI prospect like Finn from a PMU farm only a mare.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:50 pm

Tsavo wrote:What I really want is an FEI prospect like Finn from a PMU farm only a mare.

Do you mean my Finn? (If so, he’s Shire/Hano, not Clyde).
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:14 pm

There use to be a couple of breeders of Clyde crosses (TBs, warmblood and saddlebred combinations) with varying degrees of Clyde blood in Ontario. I use to own a couple from one of the breeders but that was 20+ years ago. From what I can see they do still exist but I agree with focusing on the foxhunting crowd to find this or develop connections in Canada.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:15 pm

exvet wrote:There use to be a couple of breeders of Clyde crosses (TBs, warmblood and saddlebred combinations) with varying degrees of Clyde blood in Ontario. I use to own a couple from one of the breeders but that was 20+ years ago. From what I can see they do still exist but I agree with focusing on the foxhunting crowd to find this or develop connections in Canada.

Thanks exvet. My horse was born in eastern Canada but i know for a fact western Canada has a bunch of them. I have contacted a few people here on the east coast but I need to take your advice about looking hard at Canada. It was not a big deal to bring my gelding across the border but i wonder if bringing a mare will involve a much longer quarantine period. My gelding left western Canada and was in NC 22 hours later. If there was a quarantine period, it was measured in minutes to hours. Do you know?

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:27 pm

Tsavo wrote:It was not a big deal to bring my gelding across the border but i wonder if bringing a mare will involve a much longer quarantine period. My gelding left western Canada and was in NC 22 hours later. If there was a quarantine period, it was measured in minutes to hours. Do you know?

I just sent for my mare in Ontario. There was nothing special required for ground transport for a mare that's been in Canada just the standard health cert within 30 days, negative coggins within 180 days, and some fees.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 pm

They're a dime a dozen here (NZ). Probably a bit far if you don't even want to look in Canada, though ;)

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Imperini wrote:
Tsavo wrote:It was not a big deal to bring my gelding across the border but i wonder if bringing a mare will involve a much longer quarantine period. My gelding left western Canada and was in NC 22 hours later. If there was a quarantine period, it was measured in minutes to hours. Do you know?

I just sent for my mare in Ontario. There was nothing special required for ground transport for a mare that's been in Canada just the standard health cert within 30 days, negative coggins within 180 days, and some fees.

Thanks for this info. I would consider flying a horse from Canada again but it would come into NY and still be looking at an 8 hour van ride to NC which would be the longest leg.
Last edited by Tsavo on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:58 pm

silk wrote:They're a dime a dozen here (NZ). Probably a bit far if you don't even want to look in Canada, though ;)

Lol that made me laugh! How come you have so many down there? Are any doing dressage?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:36 pm

Imperini wrote:

That was my experience when I imported Pickle in 2015. I just hired a transporter who knew the ropes and she took care of everything. No quarantine period; barely any harder than taking a horse across states that require Coggins/health cert.
Keep calm and canter on.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:23 am

Tsavo wrote:
silk wrote:They're a dime a dozen here (NZ). Probably a bit far if you don't even want to look in Canada, though ;)

Lol that made me laugh! How come you have so many down there? Are any doing dressage?

Tons. The 1/4 Clydes are often used for allrounders, hunters, eventers (lower level). We have a lot of crossbreds with good doses of TB blood. Blood over bone - often Clyde over TB. Repeat with another dose of TB.
Also what is known as a stationbred. Although technically those should be from a specific station ("working farm") and traceable, the word stationbred is often used for crossbreds.

Conversion to USD is about half (ie 50c US to $1NZ)...

Currently for sale on our "ebay" equivalent (I did the search for "clyd* to include Clyde, Clydie, Clydex, etc, so there are a few pure Clydesdales):

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Search ... dCategory=

Here is a true stationbred, from the Erewhon station: https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/equest ... 2f7b4b5eb1

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:21 am

Wow silk that is the land of draft crosses. I really like the term "Clydie". :-)

Enzo has a nice walk and canter.

Just for my own amazement and not for real, do you know how much it costs to bring a horse from NZ to the US?

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:47 pm

There is a national or world (can't remember) Clydesdale show going on in the US in a week or two in Madison, WI. It's supposed to be the largest congregation of the breed in the US. You might be able to gain some contacts who produce crossbreds from that gathering whether you go in person or have someone you know go.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:06 pm

There are intermittently some Clyde crosses posted in this facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Dressagehorsesforsale/

This group (Foxhunting Prospects) may actually be your best bet. The threat (as always with horse shopping) is that the level of training may not be what you want.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/8480499 ... uery=clyde

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:01 pm

exvet wrote:There is a national or world (can't remember) Clydesdale show going on in the US in a week or two in Madison, WI. It's supposed to be the largest congregation of the breed in the US. You might be able to gain some contacts who produce crossbreds from that gathering whether you go in person or have someone you know go.

I thought I responded to this but don't see my post. Thanks for this heads up. I have ties to Wisconsin.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:01 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:There are intermittently some Clyde crosses posted in this facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Dressagehorsesforsale/

This group (Foxhunting Prospects) may actually be your best bet. The threat (as always with horse shopping) is that the level of training may not be what you want.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/8480499 ... uery=clyde

Thanks for these links, ponichiwa.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:34 am

You might find one in Amish land. Some filter through Dundulk Sporthorses occasionally. You might reach out to them in case they know of a source. Much closer to you than PA!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:21 am

Is virginiasporthorses.com still in business. They import from Canada for the fox hunter set.

I bought a few clyde cross prospects from them maybe a decade ago

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:59 am

scruffy the cat wrote:You might find one in Amish land. Some filter through Dundulk Sporthorses occasionally. You might reach out to them in case they know of a source. Much closer to you than PA!

Dundulk had an amazing mare a few months ago that I missed. I thought she was a draft cross but she was Trak/TB but had some QH and something else that I am forgetting. She was smooth... all parts blended into one. I can't get her out of my mind. It is that lily horse on Dundulk's site.

I am not aware of Amish around here. They are near my in-laws in Wisconsin although those may be Mennonite. Who knows. Anyway I thought the Amish mainly bought failed Trotters and pacers for next to nothing. I have seen lame ones trotting around by my in-laws.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:00 am

Chisamba wrote:Is virginiasporthorses.com still in business. They import from Canada for the fox hunter set.

I bought a few clyde cross prospects from them maybe a decade ago

Apparently yes and they have a bunch of horses. Thanks.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Wow ponichiwa I am going to have to schedule time to read 65 pages on that first link! I did scan it and I am not sure how i feel about a $500 ante. I would have to know the terms.

Thanks for posting that.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:36 pm

People who dismiss PMU horses are just ignorant of Fynn. I would take a PMU horse if she met criteria.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:52 pm

Tsavo wrote:
scruffy the cat wrote:You might find one in Amish land. Some filter through Dundulk Sporthorses occasionally. You might reach out to them in case they know of a source. Much closer to you than PA!

Dundulk had an amazing mare a few months ago that I missed. I thought she was a draft cross but she was Trak/TB but had some QH and something else that I am forgetting. She was smooth... all parts blended into one. I can't get her out of my mind. It is that lily horse on Dundulk's site.

I am not aware of Amish around here. They are near my in-laws in Wisconsin although those may be Mennonite. Who knows. Anyway I thought the Amish mainly bought failed Trotters and pacers for next to nothing. I have seen lame ones trotting around by my in-laws.

I'm just suggesting you reach out to some of the sellers in Amish country with an "ISO" because they see horses coming through that are bred like what you want all the time. Just send Dundulk an email- they have good contacts that might have something that never makes it to an ad or a sales site. Same with sellers like Feelgood Farm in MD. https://www.facebook.com/FeelgoodFarmLLC/ Or ANB Equine. Or https://www.facebook.com/cmfarms89/ There are tons of them in PA.
A Clyde x DHH cross is a nice horse. Not all DHHs are freakazoids with their hind ends in the next state.
Last edited by scruffy the cat on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:30 pm

current PMUs are marketed throught NAERIC

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:21 pm

Tsavo wrote:Wow silk that is the land of draft crosses. I really like the term "Clydie". :-)

Enzo has a nice walk and canter.

Just for my own amazement and not for real, do you know how much it costs to bring a horse from NZ to the US?

Wouldn't have the foggiest. You'd have to fly them. Not sure on quarantine, probably none to leave this side of the world. I'd suspect at least 10 to 20k NZD... Still a bargain for you :lol:

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:43 pm

Wonder if Gentle Giants rescue could give you suggestions or has anything that meets your criteria?

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 pm

I am vetting a 1/4 clyde at the end of the month. She is in the middle of nowhere and not where you would expect to find such a horse.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:32 pm

Good luck! I hope it goes well!!

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:43 pm

Tsavo wrote:People who dismiss PMU horses are just ignorant of Fynn. I would take a PMU horse if she met criteria.

I don't know who Fynn is and haven't read further than this in the thread at this point, but I will just say that one of the top Percheron breeders in Canada who is also a well known draft horse judge has his good Percheron mares on the PMU line, so while I don't support/like the industry as a whole, there have been and continue to be some rather nice horses coming out of it.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:07 pm

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”