What to wear in the trailer?

texsuze
Herd Member

What to wear in the trailer?

Postby texsuze » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:17 pm

My horse, not me.

Taking my oldster on a 2-hour trip back to the eye vet for his SCC follow-up (see other thread), plus annual dental work, plus a vaccination. As luck would have it, forecast is for temps in the 30's, strong winds, and wind chills in the 20's. Doesn't sound like much to ya'll in the Great White North, but we've been lucky never to have to travel in very cold temps till now.

My gelding seems to be a 'sweaty' traveler of late, so I'm thinking he might wear just a cotton sheet in the trailer with windows open on the empty side (2H straight load BP) and along the back. Still sporting a medium winter coat, too. I was going to bring an anti-sweat to swap out if needed.

Or should he wear anything at all? At 27 he just can't afford to burn calories trying to maintain comfort in a cold draft, but I'd like some airflow through the trailer during the trip.

Suggestions?

KathyK
500 post plus club

Re: What to wear in the trailer?

Postby KathyK » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:11 pm

You could start out with the cotton sheet, check him a half an hour or so into the ride, then make any necessary adjustments. If he's chilly you can close one or more windows; if he's too warm, remove the sheet.

Temps in the 30s and wind chills in the 20s is cold, no matter where you live!

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:14 pm

Start with nothing but pull over after half hour and make sure he is warm enough?

heddylamar
500 post plus club

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:04 am

I’d open a bunch of windows and stick the anti-sweat or a fleece cooler on him, then check as KathyK and Chisamba advise. I find it easier to cool them down in the winter than warm up.

Not sure what everyone else does, but I initially open both over head vents, and the tailgate windows in the winter. Then I check and crack more windows (at horse head, hip, or front of trailer) if they’re warm.

texsuze
Herd Member

Postby texsuze » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:31 pm

Thanks, these are all very good suggestions. Forecast now (this is TX--things change quickly ;) ) calls for sunny skies and temps that, if lucky, might reach 40's by the time we are heading back home. The trip out looks to be colder than the return trip home. I will factor in all the suggestions, plus updated weather forecast, and hope I can have a comfortable horsey!

texsuze
Herd Member

Postby texsuze » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:57 pm

Easy, uneventful trip yesterday. My oldster wore his light cotton sheet, with windows open (except at his face) and opposite roof vent open. No sweat! Trip home was warmer--50F dropping down to 40F by the time we reached our side of the county--and on the sunny side of trailer, so I opened windows more. He was fine. Thanks for the inputs!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:21 am

I know it's a bit late now, but I bought an inside/outside temp gauge so you can see what temp it is in the trailer (it just bluetooths or something to the inside one with the readout). For me it's due to hot weather, not cold but it was interesting to see what the temp was in the float as we were travelling.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:16 pm

Flight wrote:I know it's a bit late now, but I bought an inside/outside temp gauge so you can see what temp it is in the trailer (it just bluetooths or something to the inside one with the readout). For me it's due to hot weather, not cold but it was interesting to see what the temp was in the float as we were travelling.

That is genius.
The UDBB member known as AQHA Hunter

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”