Fans for inside trailer

texsuze
Herd Member

Fans for inside trailer

Postby texsuze » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:44 pm

At our vet visit yesterday (follow up for my oldster's recent excision biopsy), I saw a trailer in the parking lot with a little round fan mounted in each of the top front corners of the horse box. The fans pointed downwards towards the horses. The trailer was a nice little goose-neck stock trailer with living quarters--a setup I'd not seen before. Even though they might just be blowing warm air, I suppose the air movement alone can only help in our hot Texas summers. Why didn't I think of that after all these years?

I have an interior light in my trailer; could fans somehow be tied in to that line? Would an RV dealership sell small fans, or does anyone have a recommendation for a source? I love my Exiss Sport 2H BP, but I've always felt the windows and overall ventilation to be inadequate.

DJR
500 post plus club

Re: Fans for inside trailer

Postby DJR » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:56 pm

I’m very interested in this, too. On hot days, air movement helps! I’m interested to hear the responses.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:17 pm

Can't help on the fans, although I really want some!

Best practice for trailering in Texas, though: throw a bag of convenience-store (although I guess any brand will do) ice in some shavings underfoot. Acts as natural air conditioning. Refresh every 2-4 hrs or as needed.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:18 am

I will definitely install fans if I start riding and hauling again. This thread from COTH is a few years old, but has some good discussion.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/foru ... ailer-fans

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:54 am

Small fans don't draw much power. I wonder if you could rig up something that is solar-powered?
The UDBB member known as AQHA Hunter

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 am

I had mine installed after market. My local auto shop did the deal. They run off the power from the light hook up. Have an on/off switch.

In 2008 I had to haul a mare and foal to FL 4+ hours in July for GOV inspections. 96 and had to run with the trailer closed up because of the foal. All windows and vents open and the fans running. Checked on the mare and foal coming home and they were not even sweaty.

I've heard of putting ice in shavings (I always have shavings in the trailer anyway) but have never tried it. Will have to next time.

Fans are well worth the add on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:54 am

khall wrote:I've heard of putting ice in shavings (I always have shavings in the trailer anyway) but have never tried it. Will have to next time.

It's amazing how much this technique helps!

heddylamar
500 post plus club

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:17 pm

piedmontfields wrote:
khall wrote:I've heard of putting ice in shavings (I always have shavings in the trailer anyway) but have never tried it. Will have to next time.

It's amazing how much this technique helps!

aka "swamp cooler"

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:16 pm

They sell battery operated fans which might be a great option if you aren't able to get it hooked up to your light source in the trailer.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:19 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Can't help on the fans, although I really want some!

Best practice for trailering in Texas, though: throw a bag of convenience-store (although I guess any brand will do) ice in some shavings underfoot. Acts as natural air conditioning. Refresh every 2-4 hrs or as needed.

It gets pretty hot here and we have done this many times! It works like a charm. When I first bought my black Canadian, it was quite warm for the haul home, and the shavings we had put in the trailer were blowing about as well, we ended up actually stopping at a gas station that had a water hose and we lightly sprinkled the floor to settle the dust, and then put the ice on top. Made life so much easier for the drive home.

fallingwaters
Greenie

Postby fallingwaters » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:22 pm

I just had a pair of fantastic fans installed inside my Kiefer. They work very well inside my camper, so adding them to the horse space seemed a good idea.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:40 pm

fallingwaters wrote:I just had a pair of fantastic fans installed inside my Kiefer. They work very well inside my camper, so adding them to the horse space seemed a good idea.

Can you post what you got? Did a trailer shop wire them into the trailer electrical for you?

This is one feature I would have ordered if I'd gone custom on my new trailer. I need to make a list of stuff to have the trailer place add for me.
The UDBB member known as AQHA Hunter

fallingwaters
Greenie

Postby fallingwaters » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:42 pm

I'm not sure what brand i ended up with, but mine do not have remotes. Rv place added them to the aluminum roof of my Kiefer, the man building my camper interior will hook them up during the build.

Maybe Dometic? That's what I have in the fifth wheel iirc.

https://www.campingworld.com/dometic-fa ... VoQAvD_BwE

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”