Rotary arena groomer

dasher
Greenie

Rotary arena groomer

Postby dasher » Tue May 31, 2016 8:19 pm

Has anyone used a rotary arena groomer? Does it do a good job? Is it worth the cost?
I currently use a chain harrow to work my ring. I have been using it for 20 years. Is there something better out there that will not break the bank?
TIA

musical comedy
500 post plus club

Re: Rotary arena groomer

Postby musical comedy » Tue May 31, 2016 10:48 pm

We had the 'original' Snodgress Rotary Groomer. We used in in an outdoor sand ring. At the time, I was quite happy with it, but back then I didn't have any basis of comparison. When I built my indoor, our excavator somehow convinced us to get another kind of harrow. I forget his reason. Since then, we had a TR3, a Parma, and now a Red Master Harrow (with various attachments).

It has been 20 years since we had that Snogress, and it looks like they've made improvements and have several types now. We did have to replace the spikes with sharper ones, but that was an easy fix. As I recall, the price ws $800+ shipping 20 years ago. Who knows what it costs now. My nextdoor neighbor is still using hers and planning to get a new harrow that doesn't require a 3 point hitch. Her's will be for sale cheap, if you are interested. We are in NJ. To add, I don't this think kind of harrow will work with any kind of textile additive. For that reason, a lot of the older harrows might have decreased in price.

dasher
Greenie

Postby dasher » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:49 am

This is what I was looking at. Same concept, smaller scale. I am liking the concept. SO wants to make sure it really works as advertised.

musical comedy
500 post plus club

Postby musical comedy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:47 am

Before we bought ours, we visited a place up in NY that had one and saw it in action. Maybe you can get this company to give you a
list of people that own one you can call to get their opinions on it.

The ring I used mine in was 220x120 so I had a lot of room to move in. If you have like a 60x20m ring, a rotary won't do the track as well
as one of the more traditional harrows; at least this is the issue my neighbor has with hers.

dasher
Greenie

Postby dasher » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Thanks for the info.
I looked up the equipment you have used in the past. Most look like the old farmers type of spring tooth harrow that has been modified to work in an arena.
Trying to decide the next step.

bettyk
Greenie

Postby bettyk » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:06 pm

It's not a rotary and is pricey, but I saw a demo of this equipment at the barn where we board...it did a phenomenal job!

http://www.arenarover.com/

dasher
Greenie

Postby dasher » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:15 am

Well, my arena groomer arrived over the weekend. It comes in 3 packages and I only received 2. Apparently this is a common occurrence. The last package is due today. It requires assembly, obviously. Never saw that on the web sight. No biggie! But as luck would have it, my tractor blew a head gasket yesterday. The arena groomer will be all assembled and will have to sit until the tractor gets repaired. Bummer, this could take a while.
I will report back when I use it.

dasher
Greenie

Postby dasher » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:30 pm

A long overdue report on my arena groomer!
Due to several issues with my tractor, I was not able to use the groomer for quite some time.
But, I was able to use it almost all summer long and I LOVE it.
It has worked up the arena footing that was previously just dead and uneven. It did, however, take some work to get it back into shape and evened up. As an added bonus, I no longer have grass and weeds growing in rows. (The chain drag was planting the grass seeds in nice rows)
The groomer is 6' wide with three rotary wheels. Each wheel is welded to the frame at different angles. This allows the wheels to turn under their own power, so no PTO required. It is easy to move so hook up to the tractor requires no help. The depth can be easily adjusted from the drivers seat.
Overall, I am very pleased with the equipment.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:29 am

Interesting! Is it possible to pull this with, say, a JD Gator or something similar?
Oh nevermind I found the page. THey have one that an ATV can pull...........

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”