Windproof dressage arenas?

calvin
Herd Member

Windproof dressage arenas?

Postby calvin » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:18 pm

Suggestions please? I have a lovely Premier Equestrian "Classic" arena, which if staked, would be quite windproof. But, because the base is only a few inches below the footing, I cannot stake it. The stakes are designed to go down 6 or 8". Therefore, I have filled the posts with sand. I have taken out a few rails to reduce wind resistance. It is *reasonably* windproof, but I am wondering if another model of ring with longer rails closer to the ground might be a better choice (eg Pyramid or Berkshire models). I also thought about turning the Classic posts upside down, and having the rails close to the ground to keep the center of gravity lower. Might look a bit odd! Thoughts?

Sue B
500 post plus club

Re: Windproof dressage arenas?

Postby Sue B » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:58 pm

Our GMO just bought the Sundance arena to withstand our high winds while being easy to move to different venues. No hammere and stakes required as in the Classic. Normally we borrow a Classic arena, but tired of pounding stakes. Lol

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:58 pm

Sue B, thanks so much. As I feared! However, the good news is that I can obtain Sundance bases and use the shorter rails with those. It will require more bases. . . Much appreciate your input,, because pounding stakes is NOT an option for this particular location. I figured there are lots of people on this board living in windy locations. This is such a beautiful ring when set up, however, and it matches the style of the perimeter ring. Nancy

Canyon
Herd Member

Postby Canyon » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:09 pm

Our club bought pylons from California Dressage Society and use them with thick-walled PVC pipe from Home Depot. The pylons are black, so may not be as crisp looking as you may want. For us, the set up works out well; the pylons stack - pylons, rails and letters can be stored on a small flatbed trailer, covered with a trap, between shows. The arena is stable even in high winds.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:59 pm

Canyon, The CDS solution is brilliant. I expect that the PVC pipe would reduce wind resistance substantially. However, I have the optics of a beautiful white exterior fence which is 5m from the 60m x 20m dressage court area. The rails on the perimeter fence exactly match those of the "Classic" arena. I think the Sundance bases will likely be be my next step. Sadly, the exchange rate against the US dollar is very unfavorable at the moment. I can get some extra Sundance base plates and fill a number of the bases with stones to keep the arena in place. It IS tiresome straightening the ring up after a stretch of high winds.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Having replaced the bases / posts, does anyone have suggestions as to what to do with the full set of Classic posts / caps / stakes?

They are perfectly good and useable either indoors, or if someone has a ring area which can accommodate the stakes to make the ring wind proof. They need a good home ...

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:49 pm

Problem solved - found a good home for the posts!

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:06 am

You've been busy! I'm glad that you got the problem solved.

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”