Paddock manure removers, vacuums

calvin
Herd Member

Paddock manure removers, vacuums

Postby calvin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:12 pm

Any preferences or comments as to mechanised "poo removers"? There are manure vacuums, and there are machines with bristles or tines (tynes) drawn over the area with a small tractor or ATV. This would be for use on 6 sand paddocks (winter paddocks, no grass) - crusher dust really - used by 16 horses, rotating during the day. Hand picking is time consuming and given production, not terribly effective! Any experiences you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Paddock manure removers, vacuums

Postby kande50 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:03 pm

calvin wrote:Any preferences or comments as to mechanised "poo removers"? There are manure vacuums, and there are machines with bristles or tines (tynes) drawn over the area with a small tractor or ATV. This would be for use on 6 sand paddocks (winter paddocks, no grass) - crusher dust really - used by 16 horses, rotating during the day. Hand picking is time consuming and given production, not terribly effective! Any experiences you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

I cut some rubber mats and put them in my york rake so that they stick down about 2 inches further than the bottoms of the tines, and so far, that's what's worked the best for me because I can scrape the pens without digging the rocks and gravel up. It is a heavy york rake though, on a 3pt hitch, so wouldn't work on an atv.

I'll ask my neighbor why she no longer uses the manure vacuum she bought a few years ago. It may have been useless in the winter, and then probably not up to the task of removing a winter's worth of manure in the spring, so the only time it would be of any use would be during the summer when her horses are out on grass?

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks Kande - very useful comments. And you are right - winter is a major challenge!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:30 pm

Yes, winter could be a problem. Had to chuckle though...back in 1977/78 I worked on a Florida farm owned by Jack Price, owner/trainer of Carry Back, Kentucky Derby winner. Little stallion was still standing at the farm. Jack had vacuums for the stalls and overhead automatic feeders for the barns. VERY high-tech operation for those days!

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”