Frozen Water Troughs...please remind me....

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Frozen Water Troughs...please remind me....

Postby fergusnc » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:54 pm

If the different strategies people use without putting a heart in them? (My horse will not drink from anything with power in or near it...never has, several set ups, different barns. He even gets upset when the fence is hot, so need to go old school.

Please mention things you've done, or seen others do. Trying to prep in advance. Thanks!

DsMom
Greenie

Re: Frozen Water Troughs...please remind me....

Postby DsMom » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:29 pm

In winter, BO puts buckets of water outside and leaves the troughs be. Fresh water in the buckets every day. Easier to dump/knock ice out of them, and refill as necessay. The horses are usually in at night, and almost all of them like their heated water buckets, so night time is not an issue.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby kande50 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:18 pm

We have a spring on the property that's piped into a large tub where it runs out into a smaller tub and then out to the river. Several pens converge on each water tub, and if the planets are aligned the water will run through the tubs all winter. If however, the system freezes up then we switch to hydrants and stock tank heaters.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:50 am

A large old leaking tank, put a smalker tank inside it. Stuff the space between with straw, or insulation

All weather ply fitted inside the big outer tank but resting on the inner tank, leaving a big enough hole for hirse tobdrink through centered over the smaller tank .

It still freezes a bit but is significantly better than a normal tank

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:42 pm

Thanks for the ideas!

Chisamba...I had heard the box idea but not with the second tub. Any issues with horses wanting to chew on the wood anymore than they would desire chewing on other wood items? (Thankfully my guys aren't wood eaters in stalls or anywhere else).

Has anyone ever tried floating a football or basketball in the troughs? Being in NC we do get ice at times for a few months, but nothing like a lot of you deal with...

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:46 am

I still haven't managed to get this built but I'd like to: http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/tool ... z3H6pPrRx3

Back when I lived in a cold place, and only had 1 horse, we built a wooden box, added spray foam and had a 5 gallon bucket in the center. You could remove the bucket, put hot water in it, and the insulation would keep it unfrozen until the next watering time (just bringing water 3 or so times per day).

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:50 pm

I have a heater in my water but, unless it's really really cold, I only have it on at night and turn it off during the day. Would that work?

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:39 pm

You can also get solar heated water troughs, but they're a little pricey.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:05 am

Sooo, I live somewhere where it doesn't get super cold, but we do have occasional freezes. This year, I'm trying out these:

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/smart ... over-11423

highoctane
Herd Member

Postby highoctane » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:45 pm

My BO puts salt water in an empty 2 liter bottle (lower freezing temp) to about 1/2 full? and floats it in the tub. It's big enough that they learn they can just push it down and get water, even if the tubs freezes over.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Heard of the salt water bobs but always worried a playful, curious horse could bite through a milk jug or soda bottle and get salt in the water trough...or hurt himself. I have been gloating a football in the trough on nights when it gets below freezing, has worked great for the non-crazy-cold nights below freezing here in NC. Then I take out during the day.

Recently the boys were up in their stall for FIVE DAYS ( sooooo not like me or their routine) due ice, snow, rain, and resulting mud. It is still a mud pit but drying up in time for more rain. Ugh. 74 right now. A few days ago it was 6 degrees over night. When they were kept up, I ran the trough heater so that whenever they DID get back out, didn't have a block of ice in a 100 gallon tub. As far as their stalls, I follow advice from our wonderful DDBB gang with a few modifications, and made my own insulated buckets. I filled with as hot as I could get water from the kitchen sink, schlepped down to the barn with many jugs and the help of DH and dumped buckets to complete empty status, then filled with 100% hot water at 5pm supper. At 9pm bed check, I brought a few jugs down and just topped off. No ice at all on them at 7AM at 6 degrees, in an open shed row barn.
In case anyone is interested, this is what I did....
3 gal bucket inside a 5 gallon bucket. Handle from 5 gallon bucket hooked it to wall but no need to remove the handle from the smaller bucket...just let it lay flat towards the back of the opening. Before stacking the buckets inside each other, I wrapped the smaller bucket in stuff I found at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cornin ... /202080947
Couldn't ever find the recommended stove pipe insulation, but I think this was similar. I wrapped the bucket once around, cut, taped. Did another row. Repeat until bucket is covered all the way top to bottom. Then I did a second layer. Lastly I cut a strip that would run under the bottom, backmup thensides a little ways. Fit snugly in bigger bucket. All pink stuff out of sight and reach of horses so no risk or dismantling. Water stayed unfrozen all night with that 9pm addition. I topped off with a couple more jugs of hot water at breakfast and it stayed as is til that dinner empty/refill routine.
Horses drank a lot. At one point Fergus drank almost 10 gallons during course of dinner (and his dinner is oatmeal that has about 1/2 of a gallon of warm water in it too!)...and sipped all day and night...but I think they appreciated having hot "tea" with their oatmeal in the atypical cold weather. It was a lot of work and thank goodness for DH's help, but it solved the problem of Fergus' electricity phobia and related water avoidance. And was cheaper than buying four heated buckets for the stalls!

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”