Round Bale Holders

VBOpie
Herd Member

Round Bale Holders

Postby VBOpie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:41 pm

Does anyone use round bale holders? Is it covered?

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Re: Round Bale Holders

Postby Dapple Field » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:13 am

We use a Hay Hut and absolutely love it! Expensive but very worth it. The horses range in size from a Shetland to a Clydesdale. We have 4 using it at the same time.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:15 am

I use uncovered round bale holders.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:48 am

I use the nets.

Tuddy
Herd Member

Postby Tuddy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:12 pm

Metal round bale feeders. Light version of the tombstone feeders.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:36 am

I am doing my first winter at a private barn a friends place. We are using round bales for most of the horses. With a slow feeder net over the hay, the holder is very heavy duty plastic? or some kind of synthetic material.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:45 pm

Probably fiberglass. I use the old metal kind, uncovered, only in the late fall and winter. In the run-in I used big nibble-nets that hold a whole 50# square bale.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:13 pm

Thanks for all the replies, but it seems like it's a moot point. I board my horse at a small private barn. I wanted to get my boy (pastured in his own pasture) a round bale holder because I thought it would help to not waste as much hay. When I asked today if they would mind if I did that, they told me no because they don't have a way/the equipment to get the bale into the holder (i.e., no front end loader or forklift). Oh well...

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:00 am

VBOpie wrote:When I asked today if they would mind if I did that, they told me no because they don't have a way/the equipment to get the bale into the holder (i.e., no front end loader or forklift). Oh well...

I set the round bales outside the fence and then fork the hay over the fence.

I have however, learned to go in and move the hay away from the fence, because they waste a fair amount of it and it builds up and packs down, and if it's too close to the fence it makes it very hard to scrape it up with the tractor in the spring.

I also sometimes set the bale inside the fence and run a strand of electric wire around it, and then fork the hay out to them, because if I don't ration it they'll pull the bale apart and walk on it and waste a lot more.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:20 pm

VBOpie wrote:Thanks for all the replies, but it seems like it's a moot point. I board my horse at a small private barn. I wanted to get my boy (pastured in his own pasture) a round bale holder because I thought it would help to not waste as much hay. When I asked today if they would mind if I did that, they told me no because they don't have a way/the equipment to get the bale into the holder (i.e., no front end loader or forklift). Oh well...

Are they feeding round bales? If so, it is easy to just pick up the bale holders and put them over the top or get a net instead. It sounded like maybe they are still feeding round bales in the above post. The bale holder I've got is not heavy if you are just lifting one side. Personally, I don't mind the waste of round bales though. Helps the grass grow in that area next year. I just put the round bales where there are heavy roll spots for the horses.

Larbear
Novice

Postby Larbear » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:49 am

Can you get some help and just roll it out? I roll them off my truck (with help!) and then roll it out into the paddock. We roll it up onto a pallet and then put the round bale holder (metal) over the bale. Two people can do it but three makes it easier.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:19 pm

I do kind of what Larbear suggests, but Larbear, to get the bale out of the truck just drop the tailgate, back up quickly to where you want the bale, then hit the brakes. The bale will roll out (make sure you're crossways on a slope of course) I used to put them on a pallet, but my three go through them every six days, and like Angela says, anything they don't eat just grows grass. If you're tall enough and strong enough, pick up one side of the bale holder to your shoulders, then keep working your way down the side of it as you lift and you can stand it up on its side by yourself.
Do NOT try to flip it up with a push while standing in snow in slippery boots!! :o :evil:

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”