Moving to Southern Ontario - barn and transport tips wanted!

quinta
Novice

Moving to Southern Ontario - barn and transport tips wanted!

Postby quinta » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:29 pm

I am moving back to Canada this spring (!!!), and looking for tips from our Ontario peeps. At this point, the most likely location is Guelph. Based on some cursory searching, it seems that you can't drive very far outside Guelph without running into a dressage barn. :)

If anyone has any opinions about barns and / or trainers in that area, please let me know (PM fine). What I am looking for:

* indoor + outdoor rings
* stall + daily turnout
* other boarders who are serious riders - I like the social aspect of boarding, and like having others around who are working on similar things. It does not need to be an overly competitive barn.
* some dressage or eventing folks, but does not need to be single discipline
* trails on site or close by would be ideal
* trailer parking

Also happy to hear opinions about cross-border transportation companies. I would rather ship Autumn than drive her myself (mostly to avoid being at the border trying to import a truck, a trailer, and a horse at the same time).

TeresaA
Herd Member

Re: Moving to Southern Ontario - barn and transport tips wanted!

Postby TeresaA » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Welcome home! I can't speak to the stables but I used this guy to bring my mare from Virginia: http://www.rickbodihorsetransport.com.

They were excellent and the horse had a good experience.

quinta
Novice

Re: Moving to Southern Ontario - barn and transport tips wanted!

Postby quinta » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Thanks TeresaA!

I did find some good boarding options around Guelph, but it looks like I might have job options (yay!) and Ottawa is also in the running. Suggestions to try / avoid most welcome.

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”