Sprayers...any feedback?

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Sprayers...any feedback?

Postby fergusnc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:35 am

With our small place and access to "our guy" for tractor tasks, we bought a work horse of a 4-wheeler for the smaller things I will do often. Thinking about and researching attachments now. Question about sprayers...any brands to pursue or avoid? Any magic number regarding nozzles? Thinking about using it for liquid lime application on pastures and yards (each pasture is only about an acre and there are 2/will be 3 hopefully soon, yards maybe total 1.5 acres or so). Possibly for spraying weeds in some areas someday, though I try to avoid that. Don't have an arena yet, and if I ever do, I don't see me watering it.

Thanks all!

texsuze
Herd Member

Re: Sprayers...any feedback?

Postby texsuze » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:01 pm

No preferences on sprayers. We have both Schaben Industries and Fimco tanks but we put them in the back of our JD Gator to water tree seedlings. Hand-held wands, not booms. You might check with your county ag extension service or USDA office to get recommendations. One of those offices in our county (can't remember which), actually rents a variety of farm & ranch equipment, so you might check that option as well. With any spray system, the nozzle size relative to droplet size is important, depending upon the solution you are spraying and the coverage you're trying to achieve. Drift (unintended dispersal by wind or volatilization) is a very big consideration, mainly if you are using herbicides, so you want to look carefully at weather conditions if /when you undertake that type of spraying, too.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:43 am

Tractor Supply sells a tow behind one for <$250 that is motorized. On sale this week!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:36 am

I have a TS like above, but for about $800 if I recall. Hooks to my tractor and tractor battery. I love it. I've used it for spraying for weeds and for just putting out water for dust control on a friend's driveway.

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”