Stall floors

Code3
Herd Member

Stall floors

Postby Code3 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:58 pm

What is your favorite stall floor? After 19 years mine need some rehab and I'm looking for ideas. Thanks.

texsuze
Herd Member

Re: Stall floors

Postby texsuze » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:06 pm

Packed, crushed limestone base ("caliche" around here ;) ) overlaid with interlocking, heavy duty stall mats in my own barn. Still going strong after 8 1/2 years. I've boarded where stalls were clay base only, covered with shavings. Turns into a lunar landscape, even if horses don't paw. Also have boarded on clay base overlaid with straight-edged, medium duty stall mats. Not very good either, since the edges don't stay together, shavings get underneath the mats, and they curl and make for lumpy footing.

DJR
Herd Member

Postby DJR » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:53 pm

I like the idea of limestone base with interlocking on top, then stall mats!

My barns have crushed gravel as a base, then about 6" of sand (well worn and stomped in), then stall mats added a few years later. It drains really well, no odor, and easy to maintain. Then again, my horses are only in stalls for horrid weather (like the ice storm we're having now) or illness/injury.

Two of my shelters also have the above and are super easy to maintain even with heavy traffic. One shelter is cement with stall mats on top. I don't like the latter set-up because it gets mucky underneath, but that's what was here when I bought the place so I put mats on top and made the best of it. All of my shelters are huge (at least 20-30' x 14').
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:17 am

Definitely like stall mats. Not fond of the smaller mats they just lay up against each other. They shift. Interlocking ones sound more appealing.

heddylamar
Herd Member

Postby heddylamar » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:26 am

Someone, in an earlier incarnation of this audience, suggested putting a curb of concrete around the mats. Basically, at the base of the walls, pour a edge of concreate, all the way around the stall. Backfill and level with chip aggregate (generally 3/8" base, topped with 1/4") and add mats. The mats should sit level with the concrete, so the concrete edge forms a curb around the stall.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:08 pm

I like stall mats over packed and leveled gravel. I don't care for the interlocking mats because in the one stall I have them in they fit soooo tightly that urine can't seep through the lines and I wind up using more shavings in that stall, or did until I drilled holes in the mats ;)

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:16 am

I like packed 3/4"minus gravel with interlocking stall mats on top. I have the gravel, now need to replace my old curling mats with interlocking ones.
An attitude of gratitude brings opportunites.

DJR
Herd Member

Postby DJR » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:36 am

My stall matts aren't interlocking and I'm fine with it that way. They are the 4'x6' ones that are 3/4" thick. They were fit into the stalls fairly well measurement-wise so wandering isn't a problem. And, as Quelah said, urine seeps through easily so everything stays quite dry and odor-free.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:47 pm

DJR, that's what I have now. Over the years they have deteriorated to the point where they need to get pulled out and thrown away. They have chunks that have come off, chunks that are sticking up, and the horses catch them with a hoof when they are rolling and get shavings under them. I started with level, packed floors. So I'd like to go a different direction, either the interlocking or a grid system like Equustall.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:02 am

I went to a clinic where they had installed these because they floors were originally concrete. My gosh they were fabulous!!!

http://www.comfortstall.com/CS_Products ... _More.html

DJR
Herd Member

Postby DJR » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:41 am

Code3 wrote:DJR, that's what I have now. Over the years they have deteriorated to the point where they need to get pulled out and thrown away. They have chunks that have come off, chunks that are sticking up, and the horses catch them with a hoof when they are rolling and get shavings under them. I started with level, packed floors. So I'd like to go a different direction, either the interlocking or a grid system like Equustall.

That makes sense. I've only had my mats down a few years. I can see how, over time, they'd lift & curl.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:25 am

After 19 years, I would think any stall floors would have to be replaced, that's a heck of a good run IMO!

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”