Hawk horse trailers

Cymraes
Greenie

Hawk horse trailers

Postby Cymraes » Thu May 04, 2017 5:16 pm

I'm still searching for a trailer and was wondering if anyone has experience with Hawk? It appears they are better made than a lot of the ones I have been researching and not that much more expensive. Any other recommendations are welcome!

StraightForward
500 post plus club

Re: Hawk horse trailers

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 04, 2017 5:59 pm

I don't have one, but I really, really want one. Lots of custom options, very horse friendly, and I don't think I've read a bad thing about them. I know others here own them and will chime in.
The UDBB member known as AQHA Hunter

Canyon
Herd Member

Postby Canyon » Thu May 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Send a PM to Quelah. I believe she has had one (or more) for several years and likes the brand.

Good friends of mine made me a heck of a deal on their Trails West Trailer when they got out of horses. Otherwise, I probably would have ordered a Hawk.

I would recommend talking to Risa at Happy Trails Trailers. She is in SC but is the #1 Hawk dealer. She has always been very helpful on UDBB and COTH in answering questions about trailers and helping people find parts. I believe she can help you order a Hawk and have it shipped directly from the WI factory to you. She has a reputation for very good customer service. She also developed the Balanced Ride trailers, where the horses ride facing backwards.

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Fri May 05, 2017 3:05 am

I've had two Hawks. First was a 4 horse head to head gooseneck that we loved. Have since downsized to a 2 horse straight load gooseneck which we also like. I do miss the electric motor that we had on the 4 horse to raise and lower it onto the ball.

quinta
Novice

Postby quinta » Fri May 05, 2017 3:09 am

I recently sold my 2H Hawk, and only because I am moving to Canada and could not import my truck! I loved it - great features, excellent ventilation (important in NC!), and kept its value really well.

DJR
Herd Member

Postby DJR » Fri May 05, 2017 5:50 am

I've had a 2H bumper pull Hawk since 2009 and LOVE it. It's the simplest version (no dressing room) and is big enough to comfortably haul my 17.3h Shire, 17.3h Perch, and/or 17.1h Friesian/Perch (he has the tallest head/neck of the three horses). I purposefully went without the dressing room because the open nose gives the big guys even more head room. Plus, I haul with a Ford Excursion so I have oodles of space in the SUV-like back of the Excursion for tack, etc.

I've been in conversation with Risa at Happy Trails Trailers for the past year as I slowly custom-built a Balanced Ride trailer (which is really a Hawk repurposed to allow the horses to ride facing rearward). I want enough room to haul 3 horses but I don't want a slant because it's too cramped for my big guys. Risa has a 2+1 bumper pull that would comfortably hold my big Friesian/Perch, any of my average-sized horses next to him, and one of the ponies in the +1 portion. Plus a nice little dressing room. Risa has been super to deal with. A friend of mine has a full gooseneck 2+1 Balanced Ride trailer and she loves it ... loves, loves, loves it! Even if I get this bp 2+1 from Risa, I will keep my 2h Hawk because it's so easy to haul & maneuver in tight areas given its shorter length. And because I love it!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

heddylamar
Herd Member

Postby heddylamar » Fri May 05, 2017 2:30 pm

I have a 2 horse bumper pull with tack room. Every single time I haul that trailer, whether loaded or empty, I'm grateful that despite cheaper options I went with the Hawk. It tracks perfectly square, hauls evenly, and navigates tight turns well.

The latches are all suitable for using with gloves, super light ramp, tons of windows and vents, it's very well lit for nighttime loading/unloading. The spotlight for the ramp works great as a backup light when parking in the dark. The fuse box is easily accessed.

I went with the model with the most ventilation -- windows in all doors and sides of the horse area, two in the tack room, and one large window between horses and tack room -- plus, there are two roof vents. Hawk's hay bags are great, far better than any hay net I've used. For long hauls, there's room to suspend a small bucket of water in the corner of the hay bag. And there are a lot of tiring options, inside and out.

The butt and chest bars are really great if you've got a quick escape horse -- both ends have a quick one handed latch mechanism, so the horse can lean, but not get out, before you pin the bar in place. If you need to pull the divider out, it doesn't require a pry bar and sledge -- just pull the pins and lift. I can actually carry it out on my own, no spare hands needed.

I went with the built in tack trunk to store spare saddle pads, wraps, et al. That, combined with the hooks and sturdy saddle rack, have plenty of space for 2-3 horses worth of gear.

Several years after I bought the trailer I finally got a stabilizer hitch, which required cutting into the diamond plate ledge on the tongue. The hitch does limit the turning radius slightly, so I have to detach the bars before parking at the barn (tight space between trees, fences, and steep slope), and often don't attach them until I'm out on the flat when leaving. But the difference when hauling is amazing. It was good before, and now, with the bars, the bounce between the back axle of the truck and tongue of the trailer is gone.

My mother has a Gore gooseneck, which hauls great, and was always my ideal trailer. The Hawk surpasses it. The Gore is old, heavy, and dark, plus, it just doesn't have much ventilation in comparison to the Hawk. To be fair, there is a 10yr difference. In the past few years, Mom and I've done several 17 hour hauls with both trucks and trailers, nearly all interstate. Both haul well, but the horses travel better in the summer in the Hawk.

The only negatives I have are small quibbles. The bus-style windows are a bitch to latch once there's hay in the track (blame that on the horse ;)). The the paint on the tongue started flaking within a few months of use. It's expected, but I was thinking it would need to be sandblasted 5-6 years later, not nearly immediately. And once I popped the silly wheel covers off twice to check lug nuts, they just stayed off. Why are they even there?

Basically, I cannot say enough good things about this trailer.

Cymraes
Greenie

Postby Cymraes » Fri May 05, 2017 5:01 pm

Thanks for everyone's response. The trailer I am looking at is a hawk Elite 2 horse. It does have the window between the horses and the dressing room and also Escape doors on both sides. After reading everyone's reviews I think this is the trailer I have decided on. It's time for my 20 year old Circle J to move on. LOL

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:47 am

I haven't had one, but I will agree with others that I've heard good things and can't recall any bad things - which is probably the most important thing.

Cymraes
Greenie

Postby Cymraes » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:21 pm

I bought the Hawk Elite several weeks ago and love it so far. My one mare is unsure of the ramp yet and tries to jump over it :) But she'll eventually figure it out!

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”