Hail damage to trailer roof--repairs completed-Not so fast.....

texsuze
500 post plus club

Hail damage to trailer roof--repairs completed-Not so fast.....

Postby texsuze » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:24 pm

A couple weeks ago we had an epic hailstorm in the area. Never in 20+ years here did we see such an event. :shock:

My 2008 Exiss 2H BP SL trailer looks to have sustained what I hope is cosmetic damage to the roof: looks like 'texturing' in the form of pock marks over entire roof--lots of them. Mind you, I've only examined the roof from inside the trailer, not from the top, but dents the size of thumbnails are clearly visible. Insurance adjuster is coming out tomorrow to do the full inspection.

I'm not familiar with hail damage fixes, especially for trailers. I'd like to have the roof repaired/fixed/etc. regardless, as I still use the trailer a few times a year.

How important for resale value is having an un-dented roof? If I were buying used, I know I'd expect a super deep discount if this type of denting were present. Of course, by the time I would sell the trailer (when my oldster goes to the Rainbow Bridge), the value might have dropped tremendously anyway!

Anyone have similar repairs made to your trailer roof?
Last edited by texsuze on Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: Hail damage to trailer roof--resale issue?

Postby texsuze » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:33 pm

Insurance adjuster was out yesterday and confirmed on the top side what I've seen from the inside of my trailer: LOTS of pock marks from hailstones. He also discovered some dents on the side panels, but nothing huge there.

I spoke with a rep from the company who sold me the trailer (all those years ago!) and he gave some very rough (+$250/linear-foot-rough), ballpark-type numbers for replacing the roof, knowing that he has yet to see the damage in person. If I elected to have the roof completely replaced by them, it means a 6 hour drive, one-way (w/trailer) and leaving trailer there for a while--not that big of a deal, really. I've also been googling the topic, seeing a range of "solutions" based on repair costs, resale return, insurance input, etc.

My next step is to speak w/insurance folks, once they have the photos from insurance adjuster, and take the temperature, so to speak, on how to proceed. More later...

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:43 pm

I think I'd get the top replaced as you mention. Hopefully fully covered by your insurance

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:08 pm

I've spoken to 3 or 4 trailer repair companies, none of them closer than 2 hours drive from me. All suggest that insurance companies don't have an accurate idea of trailer repair costs. Insurance gives customer a check and customer is in shock once the real repair estimate is tallied by the repair guys. Repair guys all said, right off the bat: "Don't take any money from the insurance company until they are given a written repair estimate from the trailer service company", which makes sense.

Once the insurance company gets photos back from the adjuster, I plan to make the 2 hour drive to the closest (and seems the nicest) trailer repair folks to get a written estimate and go from there. I really don't want to 'total' my trailer, since I really like it, but insurance company might want to. Plodding along....

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:56 pm

Yesterday I made the 2-hr (one way) trip to drop off my horse trailer with a trailer repair company. Supposed to hear back from them with a repair estimate for roof replacement in a couple of days. I'm also getting the ceiling in horse box and tack room insulated, plus adding two fans, which I've wanted to do for some time. Very nice guy; I hope his work is as good as his customer relation skills. He asked about the last time I had the bearings repacked--of course it has been years (yikes), so that's on the work list, too.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: Hail damage to trailer roof--repairs completed!

Postby texsuze » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:20 pm

OK, finally got my trailer back this week! Thankfully didn't need it (well, almost) for the months it was with repair guys. They put in a double-layer, insulated ceiling (horse box and DR) when replacing the hail-damaged roof. Added two fans :) Repaired a lower section of the interior wall bumper. Repacked the wheel bearings. The repair guy said he couldn't stand my wimpy regular brake lights, so he replaced them with LED lights ;) no charge. He also decided to repaint the rims (silver) :)

When I got there to pick up my trailer he was checking tire pressure and putting Armour-all on the tires. He didn't add any more to his original quote. Said I was very patient with how long it took. Such a nice guy! I'm sure he lost some money on my job.

Overall I'm pleased with the work. Not a finesse job, since there are some rough corners and a few scrapes showing, but a big improvement over the hail dings, plus the benefit of fans and a hopefully 'cooler' interior. I'll get a chance to test it out this month when I take my guy (2-hr trip each way) to get a laser procedure on one eyeball.... Fingers crossed.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Hail damage to trailer roof--repairs completed!

Postby Canyon » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:49 pm

It sounds like it was worth the wait! I hope all the improvements keep your passengers more comfortable.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: Hail damage to trailer roof--repairs completed-Not so fast.....

Postby texsuze » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:48 pm

Whoa, I spoke too soon. In this year of "If It Ain't Broke, It Soon Will Be" at our place, I should've done the 'water test' at the repair place before bringing my trailer back home. After cleaning out the interior of the trailer this weekend (getting ready to haul my guy to the eye doc--see my other thread) I decided to sprinkle the roof, you know, trust but verify. Oh boy. At least six locations in the horse box and DR where water ran in like a sieve. My new roof leaks. Badly. I sat down in the trailer and cried :( Today I'll make my third phone call to the repair guy, who has not answered my previous calls/messages, to see where we go from here. I'm almost tempted to say, "Cut me a partial refund check for $ and we'll call it a day" but his check would likely bounce ;) Not sure if I even want him to do repairs. Guess what I've been googling for the last few days. This is turning into a Netflix series.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:53 pm

I wonder if that Drylok paint product used to waterproof basement floors might work. Just saying if you want to attempt trying some other method yourself.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:17 am

I've found a few products on the internet that look like they might work to seal some seams that are suspect. I might ask a local RV repair place what they'd use on an aluminum roof, too. This morning, in a race against an advancing cold front/rain, I managed to single-handedly secure a "waterproof" tarp on top of the trailer roof to hopefully keep the rain out until I can formulate a plan going forward.

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”