Trailer coupler locks?

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Trailer coupler locks?

Postby redsoxluvr » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:35 pm

We are looking at coupler locks for our bumper pull horse trailer. Are they useful or a PITA? Do they even work?
TIA

TeresaA
Herd Member

Re: Trailer coupler locks?

Postby TeresaA » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:55 am

I had one on my trailer for years and it worked perfectly. I gave it to the people who bought my trailer.

KathyS
Greenie

Postby KathyS » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:39 pm

I put one on my Bumper Pull after someone drove off with the farm flat-bed trailer one night. I think it is worth the hassle, I figure the next thief will go for the trailer without a hitch lock instead of messing with mine. It was painful though the day I arrived there to go for a lesson and couldn't find my key! Thankfully I found the spare! :)

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Flight » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:56 am

I have the H shaped one that I put on my float when I'm not using it (is that what you mean?) and well no one has flogged my float yet!

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:09 pm

KathyS wrote:I put one on my Bumper Pull after someone drove off with the farm flat-bed trailer one night. I think it is worth the hassle, I figure the next thief will go for the trailer without a hitch lock instead of messing with mine. It was painful though the day I arrived there to go for a lesson and couldn't find my key! Thankfully I found the spare! :)

That's my philosophy. I'm the only one with a trailer lock at my barn, so I hope any would-be thief would choose one of the unlocked trailers instead!

I don't find it to be a hassle, I just have that key on a separate carabiner so I can lock/unlock without having to shut off the truck and take the keys out of the ignition when I'm hitching up.
The UDBB member known as AQHA Hunter

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:23 pm

Which one do you guys use?

DJR
Herd Member

Postby DJR » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:25 pm

I use one and it's no hassle at all. It did tend to freeze up over the winter so I had to make sure I had lock de-icer available as the key is rather flimsy & bends easily (ask me how I know this! LOL).

I don't use it if I've parked the truck immediately in front of the trailer, but otherwise I put it on. As someone else said, I keep the key on my car key ring so it's always handy.

I got mine from Canadian Tire. It looks like this:
trailer coupler lock.JPG
trailer coupler lock.JPG (17.88 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:55 am

I use a regular long shank padlock and put it through the hole in the hitch - the same hole the pin goes in to lock it open or closed.

Here is another sort: http://www.amazon.com/Trimax-UMAX100-Un ... 78&sr=1-18

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:20 pm

"flogged my float" Gotta say I love that! Those don't work with goosenecks, so I bought a wheel-lock, which can be used with any regular sized wheels and tires on any vehicle. About the same price if I recall.

clanter
Novice

Postby clanter » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:39 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:"flogged my float" Gotta say I love that! Those don't work with goosenecks, so I bought a wheel-lock, which can be used with any regular sized wheels and tires on any vehicle. About the same price if I recall.

suggest the wheel lock also as our trailer which had a couple lock in-place was stolen by the thieves chaining the trailer tung to their truck and driving off

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:51 am

Do you mean like what happens to your car when you don't pay a ticket?

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”