Dynamic saddles

VBOpie
Herd Member

Dynamic saddles

Postby VBOpie » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:36 pm

Anyone have any experience with Dynamic saddles? I am in the market and have been hearing good things

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Re: Dynamic saddles

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:29 am

I know someone who just ordered one after test riding in one for awhile, and I know the person she borrowed it from to try it out loves it. I personally have no first hand experince with them though.
ETA: I texted and asked this person about it. She said basically “It forms to any horse and rider. You walk in it for 5-10 minutes and can feel it changing. When I put it on my horse I could feel space running my hand under the saddle, when I got off it was totally formed to her back. It’s the craziest thing but worth it as it will last my lifetime and can be used on any horse.”

Have you looked into Equipe at all? That’s what I just purchased for Phoenix, and I’m sold on the brand. Phoenix has changed drastically since the switch both in performance and back shape. I wish I had before and after pictures but her back has actually widened and filled in now that her saddle isn’t in the way. The fitter will be back in January to confirm the fit and redo tracings. I’ll make sure to get pictures of her before and after tracings, if for no reason other than it’s going to be interesting!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:46 pm

PhoenixRising, no, I haven't looked at Equipe, but I will. I will interested to follow your experience. Also, what influenced your choice?

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:15 pm

VBOpie wrote: Also, what influenced your choice?

Several different factors.

I like that they make sure that the saddle is not only wide enough, but also that it fits the shape of the horses back. The fitter I went through wasn't interested in selling me the most expensive saddle, she only cared that Phoenix and I were happiest. We tried several on her and Phoenix made her choice clear. It was actually fascinating to me. I had been really struggling to keep her round in the transitions, and after just a few transitions in the new saddle she was offering to stay round. Tried a different one on her we thought she may like, and she balked and kicked out.

The flocking is a patented foam similar to memory foam. The seller said they have a saddle with 20 year old foam in it still going strong. This works better than traditional wool flocking because it keeps the saddle balanced at all times, and it adapts to the horse every ride. I'll contact my fitter for an explanation better than I can provide because I know she explained it to me really well, but I'm having trouble regurgitating the information.

For me possibly the biggest contributer to my choice, an equine chiropractor came to the barn and after working on the horses at our barn ridden in these saddles, wanted to know what we were doing because not a single horse in these saddles had a sore back. To the point he went out of his way to write a referral. (I'm going to copy paste the text of it at the end of this post).

As a side note, this is the saddle Charlotte Dujardin uses, and I think Kasey Perry-Glass (don't quote me on that one).

"Proper fitting tack is one of the most important things you can do for you and your horse. The saddle is where the horse and rider biomechanics hold hands. It is incredibly vital this exchange is taking place with functional accuracy. The saddle is meant to enhance the movement taking place, not impede it! An ill-fitting saddle can present in various ways with symptoms taking place quickly or taking a longer timeframe to appear. This can show up as simple as a horse not being able to correctly interpret the rider;s aids or a horse’s health and happiness declining. On the flip side, a correctly fitting saddle for horse and rider can be a dream come true! It’s a win-win. The rider avoids frustration by having their leg in the proper position, thus the horse has a valid chance to correctly hear what you have to say. Naturally, the results will be better. Not to mention you are adding to the health, happiness, and longevity of your partnership.
During my first visit to Landers Dressage I began to notice a spinal health trend in each of their horses. This became noticeable present in female, male, young, aged, advanced level, and beginner level horses. Each horse I worked on did not have pain, inflammation, muscle spasms or soft tissue irritation where the saddle sits. This is a big deal! The horse may have had structural areas locked up, requiring chiropractic treatment, but they were not back sore. There is a difference. In addition, a horse will adjust easier and hold their chiropractic adjustment much longer with a proper fitting saddle.
High performance horses are athletes and require proper maintenance to continue working at a high level, to ensure soundness, and to progress in skill. Sara and Linda explained the Equipe saddles they are using and I was immediately impressed. I’m not partial to a brand. I’m partial to results. And the results with Equipe were very evident.

Dr. Bek Jarzombek, DC
Giddy Up Chiropractic
AVCA Certified Animal Chiropractor
http://www.giddyupchiropractic.com
757.408.7177 "

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby blob » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:04 pm

Let me know if you end up trying a dynamic saddle!

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:37 pm

bumping this post to see if anyone has tried or sat in a dynamic saddle since this post was made.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:53 am

I have not gotten a chance to try it yet.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:02 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:I have not gotten a chance to try it yet.

Is your friend still happy with the one she bought, do you know?

Very seriously considering one for my two, but more specifically for RP, who is sensitive and still changing shape pretty rapidly. They are PRICEY. But if their claims are true then I can go down to one saddle for both and probably save money on fittings down the line as well. So pricey up front might save in the long run. Though even trying them without a rep near by isn't the cheapest. So, I'd like to gather as much info as I can beforehand.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:09 pm

I have one coming in for trial!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:53 pm

Shoot, I saw her Sunday and meant to ask her! I just sent her a message asking how she likes it still.

ETA: Here’s her reply
“Yes I love it. It puts me in the perfect seat and leg position every time on every horse. I also love that I can use it on any horse without having to worry about a bad fit. Ive used my dynamic on anything from an average stout quarter horse, my narrow, long withered ottb, to now my daily ride which is a 17.3 Irish draft“

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:51 am

She also sent me these images to show the different horses she’s had it on. I have a 3rd image of a bigger horse comparatively, but I can’t get it to upload for some reason
Attachments
1D9E7A03-A1AC-4190-97C0-50D0E8D922B7.jpeg
1D9E7A03-A1AC-4190-97C0-50D0E8D922B7.jpeg (116.65 KiB) Viewed 14540 times
EB530BFD-A6F4-4B0B-BB49-4E8C6F6CF40A.jpeg
EB530BFD-A6F4-4B0B-BB49-4E8C6F6CF40A.jpeg (131.37 KiB) Viewed 14540 times

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:17 am

Thanks, Phoenix! for passing along her feedback and the images. I just got one in for trial and i'm excited to try it on my two.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:17 pm

blob wrote:Thanks, Phoenix! for passing along her feedback and the images. I just got one in for trial and i'm excited to try it on my two.

No problem! I'll be interested to see how you like it too! I wont be saddle shopping for some time since I just bought the Equipe in December and will only have 1 horse for the foreseeable future. But I think these are growing in popularity and information for the future is always great!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:46 pm

Do these only come in one seat size also? I found a few sites that have these saddles listed but they only have a single size, some of them say 16, which if that's the seat size seems rather small. After I bought my close contact saddle my dressage saddle pretty much doesn't get used anymore because it's so much less comfortable. Not sure I'm ready for such a big spend right now but I am curious about these saddles.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:33 pm

Imperini wrote:Do these only come in one seat size also? I found a few sites that have these saddles listed but they only have a single size, some of them say 16, which if that's the seat size seems rather small. After I bought my close contact saddle my dressage saddle pretty much doesn't get used anymore because it's so much less comfortable. Not sure I'm ready for such a big spend right now but I am curious about these saddles.

Currently the seat size options are 17--19.5. They don't make a 16 or 16.5 otherwise that's what I would have gotten. The ones you've seen on retail sites are older models that used a different manufacturer (I asked my rep about them!).

Other than seat size, it's essentially one saddle--no different models.

There are some customizations that can be made though:
You can get welting or colored/patent leather on the cantle

The flap can be shortened up to 1 inch: it's a very close contact saddle so the need to shorten is primarily an aesthetic one according to them and from what I've felt so far that seems like it is probably right. If i keep, I might still shorten primarily because RP is all the way up on the last hole in a 16 inch girth. So shortening the flap leaves more room to add a few more holes on the billets. It was really hard finding that 16 inch girth and i'm not sure a 14 inch one exists!

The thigh block can be made taller or longer, but the basic shape/location can't be changed: so far this is what I'm struggling with most. It's a very minimal block and i have a tendency to lift my knee and crawl up, so i really need a saddle that makes it hard for me to lift my knee up and over. If I decide to keep it, I'm not sure if what i need would be a taller block or a longer block or both :oops:

I'll report back with more detail about how it rides and how my horses are responding after today's rides.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:27 pm

Please do Blob. I looked at the site and could not get much info on these saddles as to how they are made. Are they a soft tree or treeless?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:59 am

Blob , just for ponies have 14 inch dressage girths

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Thanks, Chisamba, that's good to know!

More info on the saddles:

The saddles are made with a polymer tree (not wood or metal) and use foam flocking that works as a memory foam. They're made with grippy, calf leather. They're currently on the third generation of the saddle and the biggest changes have been in the leather and on the seat--the tree has stayed the same. It's a monoflap saddle that is quite close contact. The flap wraps around more closely than my frank baines monoflap does. It also really comes in below the stirrup bar. So it almost hugs in at the top of the back.

You're supposed to saddle up more or less like normal, mount up and walk around for 5-10 minutes. During that walk warm-up, the rider's weight will cause the tree to flex and change according to the horse's back. After that you'll need to re-tighten the girth. The rep said it's typical for the girth to need to go 1-5 holes shorter after the saddle has had time to flex to the horse. On RP, I can feel the saddle change during that walking time and his girth does tighten 2-3 holes. On MM, I don't really feel anything change and I usually only need to tighten 1 hole after warm-up period.

The saddle rides fairly comfortably for me. It has a very narrow twist and a moderate seat (not especially deep or shallow). Both my hennig and my FB have deeper seats, but it's a deeper seat than the passier or the black country I used to ride in. It also falls in the middle in terms of seat bone comfort. My FB is like sitting on a fluffy cushion. My hennig is like sitting on wood or metal--this is neither esp cushy nor is it hard. It does encourage me to ride with a fairly open hip position. I imagine someone who is tighter in the hip flexor might not like this feel.

The rep said that it might be harder to sit in the saddle because you can feel more movement. This worried me because I find RP's trot difficult to sit--he has a lot more back movement than MM and has a surprisingly big feeling trot for a little guy. But the opposite has actually been the case. I've found his trot much easier to sit than in any other saddle I've tried on him. I also have a tendency to lean forward with him, but video shows that I'm sitting much more correctly with him. In general, my position feels stronger and more secure with him. On MM, I'm less in love with my position. Sitting MM is comfortable in any saddle. But I have a tendency to want to climb up with my knee on her. The FB makes it impossible for me to do this, but this saddle does not. And so I found myself coming up a lot more than I'd like.

What do the horse's think? RP seems to like it. He had been getting sticky moving from walk to trot and balking at my leg for the past month and that has entirely disappeared with the saddle. I also don't feel him dropping his back as much. He will still toss his head but it's less frequent and easier to recover from. He's been rushing less (but that might be because I am less forward), so it's been easier to get him to rock back and use his hind legs correctly. He is feeling a lot less tight in back and hip, but we are still working on making sure he doesn't get tight in the shoulders.

MM has felt sluggier in the warm-up since I've been riding with this saddle, which I don't love (trying to keep her very responsive to my leg has been a long term challenge for us). But once she's fully into work mode she feels good/normal. I had a lesson on Sunday and my instructor thinks she's moving better in it in general. But I don't necessarily feel that difference/change. One thing that has been promising (or a fluke?) is that my changes have been more consistently clean and I feel less difference between our good side/bad side for changes.

I am leaning towards getting the saddle, but some things I am still considering/unsure about:
*it is not a cheap saddle. But if it is truly a saddle I can use on both without having to adjust/buy somethign new as RP develops, it might be more cost efficient in the long run?
*I don't like that my knee wants to climb up with MM in this saddle. Will changing the thigh block help? Maybe! But maybe not and if it does help, not sure if it needs to go taller or longer or both
*RP seems to be going well in it and many problems seem to fading with it, which is a relief. But sometimes RP does well with a tack change and then after a few weeks goes back to earlier issues. So is it that he likes this saddle or is it just that it's a different saddle?
*I don't think the second hand market for this would be very good since it's not a well known saddle/brand. Though, in theory, I should never have to sell it

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Thanks blob for all the info, much appreciated. Considering how my hips are it sounds like this might not be the saddle for me.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:37 pm

Imperini wrote:Thanks blob for all the info, much appreciated. Considering how my hips are it sounds like this might not be the saddle for me.

I'm always so hesitant to say what someone will or won't like. It does encourage a more open hip for sure--the rep said it would and indeed it does. And my instinct is/was to say that might be hard for someone with tight hips. But it might feel great for someone with tight hips, making it easier to loosen up that area. So hard to know for sure.

The rep warned me that the saddle might make sitting trot harder, but I had very much the opposite experience, so I don't know that these things are so easy to predict.

maddie
Greenie

Postby maddie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:45 am

Hi,
I am looking at an older model, 2nd generation...I was told is was like new, but have since discovered this model was discontinued 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, there is no rep near me, so I am going on what seller tells me (which isn't much)....I am able to trial, but am now hesitant

Did your rep say if there are any major differences in the 3rd generation...I am ok with different leather but would like to know if any major improvements in function and design. Price tag is still at top end, esp for a second hand saddle.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:31 pm

maddie wrote:Hi,
I am looking at an older model, 2nd generation...I was told is was like new, but have since discovered this model was discontinued 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, there is no rep near me, so I am going on what seller tells me (which isn't much)....I am able to trial, but am now hesitant

Did your rep say if there are any major differences in the 3rd generation...I am ok with different leather but would like to know if any major improvements in function and design. Price tag is still at top end, esp for a second hand saddle.

Hi Maddie!

a couple of thoughts that might be helpful:

1. You don't need a rep near you! Because the saddle requires no fitter/fitting, all you need is the rep to talk to about the saddle and then to send you the saddle for trial. I also don't have a rep in my state. But contacted one in NC. She was super helpful, answered all my questions, and set me up for the trial. If you like the saddle, you can keep the the one you try (they send you a brand new one, not a demo).

2. As for the older generation: in addition a difference in leather quality, there was also inconsistency in manufacturing and sizing, which is why they started having the saddle manufactured by a different place. When they made that move they not only changed the leather, but also changed the seat. You might have found some comments on the interweb about some people feeling pitched forward--the current generation has a different seat that should prevent that issue. I haven't sat in the older, so I can't personally compare, this is just what the rep said. Lastly, the current generation comes with a 10 year warranty, the older one does not because of the inconsistency in its sizing and making. If the seller of the older saddle is willing to trial it could be worth trying? Or it could be worth contacting the rep and trying the current model and then also trying the older generation to see if there is a difference? The tree of the saddle is the same. So I think the difference is more about how it fits the rider than how it fits the horse.

Also, I had put these pictures in another thread, but probably good to put them here in case others are looking specifically for info about dynamic saddles. At the rep's recommendation i took pictures of my horses' backs on the day i bought the saddle, with the intention of seeing if there was any different in 3-6 months. Well, much to my surprise there was a very clear difference in only 6 weeks! Here are both my horses before (July 22) and after (Aug 30/31). Based on the clear improvement in my horse's back, I'm really glad I got the saddle!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 10.09.36 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 10.09.36 PM.jpg (184.06 KiB) Viewed 13651 times
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (125.76 KiB) Viewed 13651 times

maddie
Greenie

Postby maddie » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:51 am

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am going to trial the saddle. I live in Australia and don't know of anyone that has this saddle (except this one for sale!) I have spoken with a company in the US and its a 3 month wait for the new ones...
Fingers crossed this older model fits both horse and rider...its for my daughter and her very difficult to fit horse. I really like the idea of the saddle working with the horse.

BTW, your horses look fabulous.

PaintHorseMom
Greenie

Postby PaintHorseMom » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:35 pm

Maddie, do you have an update on the older model Dynamic saddle? I've been looking at one too, as I'm not really a dressage rider (I show paint horses), but I use a dressage trainer to cross-train my western and hunter horses so they perform and use themselves better. I don't want to spend the money on the newer model (which I tried and loved), since this isn't my main sport and have been considering the less expensive older model for my 3 VERY different sized horses. Thanks!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:07 am

Blob. Are you still loving the Dynamic saddle?

I have tried to find reviews and can't find much on this saddle.

Thanks

blob

Postby blob » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:58 am

Hayburner wrote:Blob. Are you still loving the Dynamic saddle?

I have tried to find reviews and can't find much on this saddle.

Thanks

Yes! It's been great for both of mine and I love having just one that works so well on both. RP especially has really transformed since I've been using it and I love how much more I can feel what's going on underneath me. It's made it much easier for me to sit his trot. It's not the ideal saddle for someone who likes a very locked in feel. But they can make a more prominent thigh block. I was worried that it would be hard for me to maintain position without more saddle to keep me in line. But that hasn't been the case and I've been very comfortable in it.

Saddle still looks like new other than marks on the billets where I've been fastening the girth.

I had a really good experience with the rep--she was very patient with my millions of questions. Let me know if you have any specific questions for me in terms of how the saddle fits or rides or if you'd like me to give you contact for the rep!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:51 pm

Thanks for the update.

I love a locked in feel, that's why I am so attached to my old Wintec Isabell. I really would love something that puts me in a better position and with an external block.

I have tried an Albion but I didn't feel secure in it and the MacRider I bought used won't fit her. It's so frustrating when all you hear is a saddle will fit any horse and is adjustable and yet it's not adjustable to the horse after all.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:49 pm

Hayburner wrote:Thanks for the update.

I love a locked in feel, that's why I am so attached to my old Wintec Isabell. I really would love something that puts me in a better position and with an external block.

I have tried an Albion but I didn't feel secure in it and the MacRider I bought used won't fit her. It's so frustrating when all you hear is a saddle will fit any horse and is adjustable and yet it's not adjustable to the horse after all.

Compared to the isabel, which I've also ridden in a lot, this actually isn't that open feeling. It's not as locked as my custom FB was or as the macrider I tried or as a custom saddlery one I tried. But it feels comparable to the isabel. It has an external block that's actually bigger then the isabel's but of course isn't moveable. The version they make with the taller/longer block might be even more what you want/need. The seat is maybe not quite as deep as the isabel's. But it's close. And the twist is very narrow.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:58 pm

Thanks Blob!

I wonder Why there no reviews or chats on COTH about this brand?

From your comparison to the Isabell, it could be something g I'd like.

I have read great reviews about the Equipe Saddles, so that might be another for me to try.

I rally should just leave well enough alone since my mare has no issues with the Isabell, it's me wanting to upgrade

blob

Postby blob » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:18 pm

Hayburner wrote:Thanks Blob!

I wonder Why there no reviews or chats on COTH about this brand?

From your comparison to the Isabell, it could be something g I'd like.

I have read great reviews about the Equipe Saddles, so that might be another for me to try.

I rally should just leave well enough alone since my mare has no issues with the Isabell, it's me wanting to upgrade

There are some COTH reviews of the earlier version of this saddle--some liked it, others felt it tipped them forward. But that seat has been changed. It's both a relatively new brand and a small company, so I think there just aren't a ton of them out there yet. Also if I'm being honest, when I first looked it up, it sounded like too good to be true BS. So that might also be a factor. But now I'm so glad to be living in a world where I don't need to call a saddle fitter out....ever!?!

It could be worth doing the trial, which would only cost you the shipping from ocala (for me it was $40). Not nothing, but could be worth it to try.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:24 am

Thanks Blob, I may look in to trying this saddle out. It certainly can't hurt to have them ship one to me.

I have so little faith in the fitters that are local to me. People rave about them and a particular brand, then boom they are bashing the fitter and the brand!

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:24 pm

Hayburner I’m on the list to try one out. But it was explained to me that they are having issues with shipping from overseas and that the ones that come in have already been sold. I too was interested in trying one because I have 3 horses that I ride.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:12 pm

Khalil, keep us posted when you get yours and what you think of it.

Morgans
Greenie

Postby Morgans » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:55 pm

I am new member, and I have the older model Dynamic saddle. I have had it for exactly one year and absolutely love it, and so does my extremely sensitive horse. I was in saddle fit hell for 3 years with this short backed baroque built horse. I have used this saddle on all 3 of my very different horses and they all go so much better in this saddle.

That being said, I need the next seat size bigger and have to part with it-which means ordering a new one. The saddle is stamped a 17, but measures closer to a 16. It is great to trail ride in as you feel very secure, but I need a little more room when schooling higher level movements.

This saddle is in pristine condition-black-comes with saddle cover.

So looking at some older posts, I see some people are skeptical about their claims, but I can attest that it is a fabulous saddle. I am sticking with the saddle for sure-breaks my heart to part with this one, but I need the extra room.

I hope this helps anyone considering this brand saddle. If interested in my “used one” let me know.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:25 pm

Morgans wrote:
I hope this helps anyone considering this brand saddle. If interested in my “used one” let me know.

I have a friend who might be interested depending on price!

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”